Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2010
I imagine it will just be a little notification to alert that something has been successfully uploaded/added iCloud features like emails, calendar appointments and anything new that's added. Just keeps the notification system consistent.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Well, it is true! Nothing works as it should do, quality has been compromised by Apple, otherwise members of this forum would not be complaining as they do. If you have nothing to add....move along! My comment was and still is justified!

Just because they are adding features doesn't mean they've stopped working on existing ones.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Meanwhile, back in WA.

MS is pounding the internets and Mac owners telling them nicely that iCloud sucks, and we should use skydrive instead- being as though iCloud can't save a pdf or doc to it's folder (making it utterly useless).

But, hey- keep these meaningless notifications coming Apple. Don't worry about Dropbox, Box, Sugarsync, skydrive, etc. etc...

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
Pull down the notification screen on your iOS device and note where the X is located, The right hand side. The iCloud site is consistent with iOS in that regard. It is also the same side the delete button appears when you swipe on an email, text, or other messages within iOS.

The look and feel of iCloud website is designed to take on the feel of iOS more than MacOS.

Well, I would second the thing about iOS close buttons in Notification Center, however, there is another reason:

People read (mostly) from left to right, icons are visual and hence, recognized and processed by the brain faster than text.
Now add those two together and you have the icon sitting on the left leaving no room for the close button, so... where shall we put it? Tadaaa! ;)

Glassed Silver:mac

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Oh yeah. I recall most were upset over losing iDisk (and iDisk Automatic Syncing between Mac's), iWeb and web hosting/domain forwarding, keychain access, and Bookmark Syncing.

I read keychain syncing is rumored to be reworked for Mountain Lion, and Documents will eventually replace iDisk syncing. Shame they eliminated web hosting, I worked with a few small businesses that masked their domain to their MobileMe account and saved hosting costs with GoDaddy or Network Solutions. Using iWeb (albeit inferior/not very well streamlined code wise) was nice for the average Joe to make their own changes. Don't know why they couldn't make room on the server "table" for web hosting.

Yeah, most were upset over iDisk but there was quite a bit of FUD implying iCloud would just be some sort of API that devs would have to include into their apps to use. The people sad about iWeb were holdouts. iWeb was obviously dead long ago (should have been obvious after the first time iLife was updated without an iWeb update).

Bookmark syncing is in at the moment, by the way (along with Reading List syncing which is actually pretty useful). It is only the web interface that is missing for whatever reason.

Anyway, I don't see how this is a bad thing. It shows that Apple is finally integrating their server storage service into their line up and not just a "well everyone is doing it" type move that was iLife, dotmac, and MobileMe.

Oh and as far as webspace. There are far better hosting services out there (e.g. Squarespace). And Joe-blow is using Blogspot (oh man, they need to do something to stop people from putting up some really hideous designs) or Tumblr.

Meanwhile, back in WA.

MS is pounding the internets and Mac owners telling them nicely that iCloud sucks, and we should use skydrive instead- being as though iCloud can't save a pdf or doc to it's folder (making it utterly useless).

But, hey- keep these meaningless notifications coming Apple. Don't worry about Dropbox, Box, Sugarsync, skydrive, etc. etc...

You realize that Apple's goal is to get rid of the filesystem metaphor, right? iCloud is at the equivalent stage as 10.0 (it hasn't even been out a year). Give it time, I think the tipping point will be 10.8 (iCloud filesync isn't even really present in OS X outside of a very basic service at the moment).

Last edited:

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Does anyone else find it aesthetically inconsistent that the close button (the "X") is on the right? Since the original Mac operating system, if I'm not mistaken, the close button has been on the left. The only other place Apple has placed the close button is in those HTML5 "pop-over" (does anyone know the name for those?) frames, which are often used for enlarging a photo, playing a short video clip, or brining up a quick text box.

True. Even the red x to close out Safari pages on iOS is on the upper left. I wonder why.

----------

You could just buy a Dell. Or is complaining about things more fun?

If I had a Dell I'd throw it in the ocean.

Then there would be a Dell, rolling in the deep.

Nickerbocker

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2012
I would like to see 3rd party App support on the iCloud web page. I think more iOS developers would utilize iCloud if it meant users could use a common interface to interact with the data on their phones via their desktop computer.

I think of basic database oriented apps such as Momento and Todo. It would be nice to have an icon on the iCloud website representing those 3rd party apps, click and then open. Change some data and bam, the data is also on your phone.

Carl Sagan

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2011
The Universe
I would like to see 3rd party App support on the iCloud web page. I think more iOS developers would utilize iCloud if it meant users could use a common interface to interact with the data on their phones via their desktop computer.

I think of basic database oriented apps such as Momento and Todo. It would be nice to have an icon on the iCloud website representing those 3rd party apps, click and then open. Change some data and bam, the data is also on your phone.

I like this idea, you could have folders like iOS to keep things organised...

boomish

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
You have some good points. This was discussed on another front page thread. The issue with Apple seems to be Jobs' desire in keeping a small, tight knit group of engineers that can be moved between departments, such as iOS and OS X. Jobs hated hiring more people and insisted on a small amount of engineers. Unfortunately, Apple's demand is beginning to outweigh its resources. This was apparent even before the iPhone was launched as Leopard was delayed twice due to Apple moving OS X engineers to iOS. Perhaps engineers are being worn thin, which is resulting in a (albeit debatable) quality decline in their OS's. I've been to Cupertino as I have friends employed there, and the teams aren't much bigger than they were a few years ago. It wouldn't hurt Apple to hire more engineers, especially as they are attempting to unify iOS and OS X platforms.

Yes I agree maybe thats their problem their workforce of nicely knitted teams are just now too small and to grow this large has stretched other products to breaking point. Delays upon delays are driving some Apple fans mad and is certainly not helping their image, but it must be hard to develop this teams they can't just hire a load people and hope they fit, not sure what the solution is part from cutting development of certain products. I don't blame them now they are making more money than ever, but I feel it's turning Apple into a different company, I need "Pro software and hardware" for my work and Apple had this , now it's time is taken churning out the next consumer hardware and software.

Sad really why can't we still have development of these things that made Apple what they were. Why can't we have a Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 based Mac Pro now maybe because they don't see it as money making or required any more, users like me are now the minority, apart from the fact we have 5 iPhones and 2 iPad's as well in my family. I do hope Apple do remember us users and can continue to deliver the Pro products. Otherwise I feel as much as I'd like to think of Apple continuing as high quality company I fear it will turn into another mass market consumer product factory. With no more innovation other than high end flashy touch screen devices and play things software.
Either way we are about to find out over the next few months.

Last edited:

impaler

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2006
USA
I have iCloud open in a browser all day at work. I would love to have something like this. It already works great for calendar alerts--I'd love to see notification integration.

I agree entirely. There's a good use-case for this. I'm in the browser at work all day too - can't have my phone with me. I think they need to do lots of work on the web to bring it closer in line with iOS and OS X. It does get better all the time, but icloud.com has quirks that make me hesitant to trust it 100%.

canman4PM

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2012
Kelowna BC
The only apps that I'm aware of that remove alerts from each device are Mail and iMessage. I could be missing a few but try and get an alert from Facebook or a sports app or basically any 3rd party app. Close the alert on one device and go to the other device. The alert is still there.

It would defiinitely be nice if everything was parallel on each device. I think that's what they're working towards, but much will depend on the 3rd party developers.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Yes I agree maybe thats their problem their workforce of nicely knitted teams are just now too small and to grow this large has stretched other products to breaking point... but I feel it's turning Apple into a different company, I need "Pro software and hardware" for my work and Apple had this, now it's time is taken churning out the next consumer hardware and software.

Sad really why can't we still have development of these things that made Apple what they were. Why can't we have a Sandy Bridge Xeon E5 based Mac Pro now maybe because they don't see it as money making or required any more, users like me are now the minority... I do hope Apple remembers us users and can continue to deliver the Pro products. Otherwise I feel as much as I'd like to think of Apple continuing as high quality company I fear it will turn into another mass market consumer product factory.

Excellent points. Your comments have been a major issue for many professionals who used PowerMac G4/5's paired with one of the 3 ACD CCFL LCD's Apple used to sell. The PowerMac's listed for around $1500-2000, so you could get a nice tower and display for around the price of a Mac Pro. That changed when Apple switched from PPC to Intel in 2006. Many professionals and high end consumers have been clamoring for a mid-tower between the top iMac and Mac Pro that would allow for upgradability and power. PowerMac's were priced in the same tier as their iMac's yet didn't cannibalize iMac sales as they were two different markets. We [professionals] may be small in comparison to consumers, but the amount of money businesses spend in upgrades alone are well into the 6 figure mark. With $100+ billion in cash, Apple certainly has the capital to focus on both the consumer and professional markets. I know the consumer market has made them bank, but it was the professionals before the iPhone that gave them the money for R&D into iOS and iDevices. Certainly Apple can do both markets and succeed. :)

----------

Yeah, most were upset over iDisk but there was quite a bit of FUD implying iCloud would just be some sort of API that devs would have to include into their apps to use. The people sad about iWeb were holdouts. iWeb was obviously dead long ago (should have been obvious after the first time iLife was updated without an iWeb update).

Oh and as far as webspace. There are far better hosting services out there (e.g. Squarespace). And Joe-blow is using Blogspot (oh man, they need to do something to stop people from putting up some really hideous designs) or Tumblr.

Excellent points. Never knew about Blogspot, and yes, user templates on some of those sites/services are an eye sore. I'll stick to Dreamweaver and HTML5 for my heavy use. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.