Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Wow! I love restorations of old computers, and this is looking amazing!! Reminds me a lot of a car restoration.
AnonMac50
Re-utilizing maybe, but building a hachintosh cannot be construed as restoring.
This could be be compared to taking a 1953 chevy Bel-Air and turning it into a pickup truck.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I would, if I had the money :)

It would be a real beast too 1.5 GB RAM, superfast G4, power ATI Radeon…one day…

I like the progress on the iMac...

yeah i know what u mean, a normal atx board would fit inside so that would be a better option by a long shot!

but just as a little update, I've been trying to start a fresh and learn more about how to install this hackintosh and I'm starting to get at least the basics of where i might be going wrong, so watch this space! lol

but on the other hand I've had 2 things turn up;

52463bb0.jpg

the little board is the sound recorder board (I'm a long way off using it but its here!). and of course the other one is an adaptor, which i have tested using my other halfs laptop and believe it or not it does display perfectly! unfortunately i didn't think to take a photo at that point so you will have to take my word on it.

I also went and got a SATA DVD drive so that i can try with snow leopard also, but I'm starting to think it will be better to go straight for lion and cut my losses

54e18fe8.jpg

----------

This could be be compared to taking a 1953 chevy Bel-Air and turning it into a pickup truck.

I partially agree... at this moment it has been 'revived & restored' but more for the reason of knowing it works. this will be turning a 1952 chevy bel-air into a 1952 chevy bel-air with a modern, efficient engine. so at that point i agree its not restored to standard but its restored to a fully working condition for modern life.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
having some serious problems...

again after spending hours trying to get this thing working, I'm still stuck with absolutely nothing :-( so i tried installing Windows 7 just to see if i could actually get on with everything. To my amazement even that failed to install! So, basically I'm confused as to whats going on...

I have tried a standard BIOS reset and windows gets to the installer screen, after changing just the AHCI mode from SATA and 256mb to 512mb graphics i see a fail. now I'm wondering if thats why I'm seeing glyphs whilst installing OS X. So I'm going to try reducing the graphics to 256 running in AHCI and seeing if that works. If it does i will run a memory check and see if its memory ir motherboard related.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
no no matter what i do, even removing different sticks of RAM and running standard i can't even get Windows to install, this motherboard must be iffy. Well I'm going to sell this motherboard and see what money i recoup from it before setting my eyes on anything else. :(

not a good day today, but i will not be beaten!

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
This blows....As a precautionary step, make sure before you buy anything new, to follow up with Tonymacosx86 and use one of the builds he has outlined there. I believe they have some atom setups that are budget weary. They are all tested to work with at least one configuration.

BlastoiseBlue

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
I'm really sad to see this project hit a roadblock like this... The slot loader iMacs are some of my favorites in the entire Mac lineup, and modding one to take modern programs sounds amazing. Best of luck man. D:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010

More like turning it to a new pickup truck.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
This blows....As a precautionary step, make sure before you buy anything new, to follow up with Tonymacosx86 and use one of the builds he has outlined there. I believe they have some atom setups that are budget weary. They are all tested to work with at least one configuration.

yeah thats what im doing, cost wise its a little more but hopefully worth it in the long run. by the looks of it the new system will be sandy bridge i3 or pentium based with the Gigabyte GA-H67N-USB3-B3 and 4-8GB of DDR3, not sure speeds etc yet but it will depend on money really. didnt want to spend a fortune as it wont get used as much. but shame it has not got built in nVIDIA. on that note i got my account banned on Tonymacosx86 as i mentioned the word torrent lol. my question was (as i was having lots of trouble) if i downloaded a torrent version of OS X Lion 10.7.0 as i have actually purchased it (its not theft as i have physically purchased it) but i cant get a hold of it any other way. Never mind lol

I'm really sad to see this project hit a roadblock like this... The slot loader iMacs are some of my favorites in the entire Mac lineup, and modding one to take modern programs sounds amazing. Best of luck man. D:

dont worry we shall succeed!!

More like turning it to a new pickup truck.

a new pickup with an old personality :)

----------

on that last note, i need to have a computer that runs less than 80W, im starting to struggle with that now :-(

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Sorry to here about the tonymac issue. They are real sticklers with "torrents" because of getting a lot of warnings.

If you need any questions asked, feel free to let me know. If you need any "extra" help, just shoot me a PM, Id be glad to help.

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Sorry to here about the tonymac issue. They are real sticklers with "torrents" because of getting a lot of warnings.

If you need any questions asked, feel free to let me know. If you need any "extra" help, just shoot me a PM, Id be glad to help.

Aye its understandable, I wasn't too bothered, I've gotten much more help from you guys anyways, and I downloaded everything they have to offer lol. But thanks I really appreciate it :) so basically my next job or 1st job is to spec a board and CPU that uses less than 80w in total. Do you think they would be a decent build?

keysersoze

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
NH
Aye its understandable, I wasn't too bothered, I've gotten much more help from you guys anyways, and I downloaded everything they have to offer lol. But thanks I really appreciate it :) so basically my next job or 1st job is to spec a board and CPU that uses less than 80w in total. Do you think they would be a decent build?

This board looks like a good start for an itx-based hackintosh:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813186216

I've enjoyed reading your posts-- keep them coming and good luck!

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I heard that the Gigabyte GA-H61N-USB3 is good for hackintosh

i was looking at that one tbh, or the H67 version but it does not have built in wi-fi and due to the restraints of the iMacs internals i havent really got space to fit one inside. but i do like the look of them boards, especially since they are recommended!

The ZOTAC H55ITX-A-E sounds like the winner but its pricey!

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=22356

Last edited:

Gilles-

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
Okey :)

So you want to built that hackintosh and put it into a G3 ?
And what was the pictures with warcraft loading on the G3, just an update or a hackintosh?
I didn't understand everything u said 'cause i don't well speak english :p

I also want to built an hackintosh into my dead G3, but the problem is to use the screen!

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
Okey :)

So you want to built that hackintosh and put it into a G3 ?
And what was the pictures with warcraft loading on the G3, just an update or a hackintosh?
I didn't understand everything u said 'cause i don't well speak english :p

I also want to built an hackintosh into my dead G3, but the problem is to use the screen!

That is the iMac G3 running overclocked at 400MHz with 382MB of RAM on OS X 10.4.11 with a lion theme installed. Looks great! But unfortunately it's too slow to do much. So that's why I decided to build the hackintosh. If you are using a tray loader, using the screen is easy... If your using a slot loader its much more difficult to do everything basically

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
not sure if you already mentioned this but do you or would you think about sticking an lcd in place of the crt later on or?

no i wouldn't do that unless i physically had no other choice. if i were to put an LCD in there it would loose every bit of its CRT attitude if you know what i mean. If LCDs weren't flat then i guess you couldn't tell, but because the CRT in the iMac is actually curved it looks very poor and cheap heres a photo of one like that;

EyeMacG3-Convertible.JPG

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
As an update to whats happening... we have some movement after getting back from my holidays today :)

I have sold the old board as i managed to get it to install windows and i got £85 for it including the 4GB RAM. So i have purchased the following;

Zotac H55ITX-A-E which i have purchased for £88.50

&

Intel Pentium G620 2.60GHz (Sandybridge) which i have purchased 2nd hand from ebay with an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro for £36 which is an absolute bargain! Now the cooler will be going back on ebay as i have also purchased this cooler for use in the iMac.

Akasa K25 which i got for £9 from amazon.

I have spied 4GB DDR3 1333 for £15 but I'm holding off for the time being.

This computer will make the iMac quite a bit better than it was going to be before lol, and i have chosen this hardware because of the following thread;

http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewtopic.php?f=54&t=22356

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
starting to get a bit peeeeeved now...

i didn't know that the sandybridge is LGA1155 and the motherboard i have ordered is LGA1156. i now have a CPU that doesn't fit the motherboard -.-

Arkious

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 14, 2011
Newcastle, UK
clarkdale ftl

yeah never realised, but I'm not that bothered about what type it is, its still going to be... hmm... just a little bit faster than the 400mhz g3 thats in it atm lol :p

the Pentium G620 is up for sale on ebay at the moment, don't think your allowed to put things up for sale on here so won't post links.

MacHappytjg

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2008
Winnipeg
yeah never realised, but I'm not that bothered about what type it is, its still going to be... hmm... just a little bit faster than the 400mhz g3 thats in it atm lol :p

the Pentium G620 is up for sale on ebay at the moment, don't think your allowed to put things up for sale on here so won't post links.

could you not just return the items or?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.