Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Caledones

macrumors newbie
May 5, 2012
I got my iPad yesterday and while the bottom left gets a bit hot it's not a problem as far as I'm concerned.

The battery does really take quite a white to charge up but to be honest I think it's worth it. I'm happy to take the waiting to experience this lovely iPad!

Osarkon

macrumors 68020
Aug 30, 2006
Wales
The only 'issue' with mine is the battery does take a long time to charge.

However, screen is perfect and it doesn't heat up at all unless it's charging.

dancj

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2012
I've just played 45 minutes of Infinity Bade II and my iPad 3 is still nice and cool. Either this heating up thing is a complete storm in a teacup or there's a massive variance in the heat of differ iPads.

And the chafing time is a nothing to me. It charges overnight and I see no reason to want anything more.

Kavier

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Raleigh, NC
I had the iPad 2 and sold it to buy the new model, and I have to say that I think the new model is better. I use my iPad every day for at least 1 1/2 hrs and I only charge it up once a week. Charging has also not been an issues for me as I just plug it in before I go to bed, and it charges while I sleep. I am not having overheating or WIFI issues. My screen was not discord at all. The new retina display is really amazing. I have no regrets.

Q-chan

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2009
Boston, MA, USA
Luckily charging the battery takes longer!

Charging the battery is an electro-chemical process. It has a natural "speed limit" to it if you don't want to cause degradation of the battery. Every manufacturer has to make a painful choice between short charging times vs. longer lifetime of the battery. I'm glad Apple errs on the side of battery lifetime with all their products. Other manufacturers are less conservative here. My last (PC) notebook was charging fast but eating three batteries in 5 years......

Manta-X

macrumors member
Apr 1, 2012
I bought two iPad's 3 and neither of them overheats at all. Amazing display and great battery life.

infernohellion

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2006
København
I live in Thailand, possibly one of the most humid and hottest country in the world and I'll tell you this thing doesn't heat up so bad at all. I don't play that an any video games tho.

Love it so much. Great battery life and best screen I've seen ever.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
I've just played 45 minutes of Infinity Bade II and my iPad 3 is still nice and cool. Either this heating up thing is a complete storm in a teacup or there's a massive variance in the heat of differ iPads. .....

The hot spot people are reporting from the lower left side (holding it horizontal) is where the 4G module is located. If you have the Wifi only version, that corner will never get warm. In fact, that spot should have the lowest temperature in the Wifi only models.

Last edited:

TheWheelMan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
The hot spot people are reporting from the lower left side (holding it horizontal) is where the 4G module is located. If you have the Wifi only version, that corner will never get warm. In fact, that spot should have the lowest temperature in the Wifi only models.

Actually, I think it's where the graphics chip is located, which is what gets warm.

VFC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 6, 2012
SE PA.
Actually, I think it's where the graphics chip is located, which is what gets warm.

The graphics chip is located approximately in the center of the long side. If the temperature varies between iPads in the center, then it is most likely a manufacturing process variance (like the screen). I believe there is thermal tape on the chip that transfers the heat to the aluminum case. If an iPad is not getting warm in the center under heavy load, that could mean that the thermal tape was installed improperly and not making full contact between the CPU chip and the case.

EarlZ

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2012
Since there is a return policy give it a try and see if you like it if not then just return the thing.

wickoo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
I'm actually considering replacing my 3rd gen iPad with iPad 2,4. I'm not sure if the lowres screen would be bearable after using the retina display for a while, but...

I would love my device to be lighter and take less time to charge up. Even though the new iPad lasts long enough on the battery, I always panic about it's charge, because there's no way to charge it up during the day. Is takes way too long, so if it runs out of juice I'm out of luck.

And the newest iPad 2 with 32nm SoC seems very appealing to me. I compared the screens in a store - most ordinary people I asked said there was no difference. I do see it, but I'm not sure if it's that big of a deal. Smaller weight and 2-3 additional hours of wifi browsing are welcomed.

Plus, of course, I don't get LTE since I live in Europe.

Last edited:

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Didn't you get the memo that the yellow tinting is caused by glue which isn't completely dried out yet and will resolve itself? :rolleyes:

And it's not 'overheating' at 95F after 8 hours of Infinity Blade 2. 95F is less than the body temperature of a human. Put your hand on your forehead: That's how hot the iPad 3 gets after hours under full load.

There is NO glue! Did YOU not get the message??? (When will people stop with the glue thing??) jeez!

seajewel

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
There is NO glue! Did YOU not get the message??? (When will people stop with the glue thing??) jeez!

I was hoping it's glue but after checking out Best Buy demo units which I'm sure have been out for several weeks, I don't think that yellow tint is going away. 2 out of the 3 demo units were quite yellow in parts, 1 had a fairly uniform white screen.

shinobi-81

macrumors 6502
Apr 11, 2012
IF the iPad 3 were as bad as some people say here on MR, nobody would buy it. But I can understand that even a barely noticeable tint can be frustrating for those who use their iPads for image processing.

Last edited:

Batavian

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2011
The only 'issue' with mine is the battery does take a long time to charge.

However, screen is perfect and it doesn't heat up at all unless it's charging.

^^^^^^^^what he said^^^^^^^^

That, and I can't use it anymore as a clock/radio on my night stand, without it taking forever to charge.

flyguy206

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2008
While I find my new iPad 3 very nice, the iPad 2 is a better value at the current price. It's personal preference. Both perform well.

How is it a better value? If it was 299 you could argue that but at 399 it is a waste of money. Seeing you can get the new ipad for 100$ more.

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
my friend who owns a samsung galaxy tablet told me its better than the iPad 3 because its got way more features and freedom and the price is significantly cheaper than the iPad 3.

No.

Ipad 1 is even better than the Galaxy tablet.

Get the Ipad 2 if charge time and heat issues bother you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.