Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matt.wolst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Hello,

I am considering purchasing a new iPad soon. I think the 16GB will be enough for my needs as I have a 64GB iphone 4S, so I don't think I'll be using my iPad for music.

However, I am just wondering can you stream videos which I have on my iPhone 4s directly to an iPad, for bigger resolution etc?

I know you can from a Macbook Pro to an iPhone for example. (at least in terms with music)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hello,

I am considering purchasing a new iPad soon. I think the 16GB will be enough for my needs as I have a 64GB iphone 4S, so I don't think I'll be using my iPad for music.

However, I am just wondering can you stream videos which I have on my iPhone 4s directly to an iPad, for bigger resolution etc?

I know you can from a Macbook Pro to an iPhone for example. (at least in terms with music)

Do you want to stream videos via AirPlay so that you can go on using the iPhone to still be able to control the playback, or, is simple file transfer OK so that you can directly play back the video on the target device? (I'd go for the latter as it's much easier / faster / doesn't requite jailbreaking).

matt.wolst

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 9, 2012
Do you want to stream videos via AirPlay so that you can go on using the iPhone to still be able to control the playback, or, is simple file transfer OK so that you can directly play back the video on the target device? (I'd go for the latter as it's much easier / faster / doesn't requite jailbreaking).

Say I'm on holiday and all I have with me is my iPhone and iPad. My iPhone would hold alot more content, such as videos. However, I'd rather watch the video on a larger screen, so I want to play it on my iPad. Is this possible to stream across in this instance, and what would the options be if so?

I'd have thought Apple would let you stream between devices, as it does with a Macbook Pro to iPad for example?

I suppose if this doesn't work, I'd have to buy an external hard drive?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Say I'm on holiday and all I have with me is my iPhone and iPad. My iPhone would hold alot more content, such as videos. However, I'd rather watch the video on a larger screen, so I want to play it on my iPad. Is this possible to stream across in this instance, and what would the options be if so?

I'd have thought Apple would let you stream between devices, as it does with a Macbook Pro to iPad for example?

I suppose if this doesn't work, I'd have to buy an external hard drive?

1, it is possible via AirServer if you do jailbreak the iPad. Nevertheless, as I've stated, in such cases (as opposed to, say, streaming video to your ATV at home) direct file transfer should be preferred to AirPlay for several reasons (no jailbreak needed etc.).

2, you can use an externally powered(!!!) and FAT32-formatted (no NTFS, sorry) external HDD but, unless you jailbreak, you'll only be access specially-named (8-letter) videos in the DCIM library for playback via Apple's CCK.

HOWEVER, if you get an external HDD enclosure with a Wi-Fi unit (there already are some of them on the market), you can stream videos directly from it with a video player capable of UPnP / SMB / FTP / HTTP / WebDAV etc. access. Via Safari, you can access HTTP / WebDAV sources; via third-party players like GoodPlayer, also UPnP / SMB / FTP ones.

EDIT: an example of these external Wi-Fi storages is Kingston's Wi-Drive ( http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless#wid ), which allows for HTTP (Web browser-based) access. This means you can directly access these videos from any players supporting Web streaming / downloading, including the built-in Videos (when invoked thru Safari or any third-party browser). Unfortunately, the unit lacks support for other protocols (SMB, UPnP, FTP etc.); nevertheless, most video players (incl. GoodPlayer) can play back MP4 / MOV / M4V files off the drive hardware-accelerated. Let me know if you need more info on e.g. acceleration.

Last edited:

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
(Posted an important addition to my prev. post, hence the separate post now so that it gets noticed.)

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Sorry for dragging up this oldish thread but I assume it still stands that with non-jailbroken devices you still can't send videos between devices?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
Sorry for dragging up this oldish thread but I assume it still stands that with non-jailbroken devices you still can't send videos between devices?

Send as in Airplay? You can, if you have the app called AirView. It was only in the App Store for a few months in late 2011 before Apple pulled it. Works pretty well.

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Yeah, but AirView is gone and I don't have it! Was hoping a new app had come along or io6 had it enabled?

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
There won't be a new app as it violates the App Store rules. iOS 6 doesn't have it built it, but there's always the possibility that it could be added in the future.

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Assume theres no way to upload movies to icloud and stream them?

Tried Dropbox (takes forever to upload!) and gDrive but they seem to do some conversion on the file and it ends up introducing tiny pauses (you can see it in the motion).

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
1, it is possible via AirServer if you do jailbreak the iPad. Nevertheless, as I've stated, in such cases (as opposed to, say, streaming video to your ATV at home) direct file transfer should be preferred to AirPlay for several reasons (no jailbreak needed etc.).

2, you can use an externally powered(!!!) and FAT32-formatted (no NTFS, sorry) external HDD but, unless you jailbreak, you'll only be access specially-named (8-letter) videos in the DCIM library for playback via Apple's CCK.

HOWEVER, if you get an external HDD enclosure with a Wi-Fi unit (there already are some of them on the market), you can stream videos directly from it with a video player capable of UPnP / SMB / FTP / HTTP / WebDAV etc. access. Via Safari, you can access HTTP / WebDAV sources; via third-party players like GoodPlayer, also UPnP / SMB / FTP ones.

EDIT: an example of these external Wi-Fi storages is Kingston's Wi-Drive ( http://www.kingston.com/us/usb/wireless#wid ), which allows for HTTP (Web browser-based) access. This means you can directly access these videos from any players supporting Web streaming / downloading, including the built-in Videos (when invoked thru Safari or any third-party browser). Unfortunately, the unit lacks support for other protocols (SMB, UPnP, FTP etc.); nevertheless, most video players (incl. GoodPlayer) can play back MP4 / MOV / M4V files off the drive hardware-accelerated. Let me know if you need more info on e.g. acceleration.

Hi again, you mentioned you could run a FAT32 formatted device if jail broken? I have a JB device now, so.... if I format a USB stick as FAT32 and plug it in via the USB camera connection, how could I browse the contents? Something like iFile?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Hi again, you mentioned you could run a FAT32 formatted device if jail broken? I have a JB device now, so.... if I format a USB stick as FAT32 and plug it in via the USB camera connection, how could I browse the contents? Something like iFile?

Yes, you can, if it doesn't take too much power - about half of them do. (Then, it won't be mounted.)

You can browse the content via iFile directly (under /var/mnt/mount1) and, as has been explained at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1464236/ , also use symlinks to map any directory on the external USB stick to any programs, even AppStore apps.

rendez2k

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2008
Great! Just found out though that the camera kit doesn't work with iPhone so I'll have to wait until I get home (unless you can unlock somehow?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.