Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

eurobum

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
Nine tabs? Nine. Nine.

That's the maximum in landscape mode. Ridiculous. How counter intuitive is this? Setting a limitation, and a low one at that, for a device that's made for surfing. Once you're on nine, tapping the "+" that normally generates a new tab, doesn't do anything.

However, if you open a link in a new tab from an already existing tab it takes the tab that's already in use and is on the right hand side of the tab you opened the link from and uses that. Nevermind the fact that The tab is still in use. New link overwrites it and you have to tap "back."

I find this appalling. Nine tabs?

And I'm not so keen on trying different browsers, as Safari has such great fluency and streamlineness (is that even a word?) between devices, eg. syncing of history, bookmarks, etc.

What do you guys suggest? Do I have to look into getting a different browser (if so, one with ad block would be nice) or are there alternative solutions?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Nine tabs? Nine. Nine.

That's the maximum in landscape mode. Ridiculous. How counter intuitive is this? Setting a limitation, and a low one at that, for a device that's made for surfing. Once you're on nine, tapping the "+" that normally generates a new tab, doesn't do anything.

However, if you open a link in a new tab from an already existing tab it takes the tab that's already in use and is on the right hand side of the tab you opened the link from and uses that. Nevermind the fact that The tab is still in use. New link overwrites it and you have to tap "back."

And I'm not so keen on trying different browsers, as Safari has such great fluency and streamlineness (is that even a word?) between devices, eg. syncing of history, bookmarks, etc.

What do you guys suggest? Do I have to look into getting a different browser (if so, one with ad block would be nice) or are there alternative solutions?

You'll need to jailbreak and install the "Tab+" Cydia utility that eliminates this limitation.

eurobum

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
You'll need to jailbreak and install the "Tab+" Cydia utility that eliminates this limitation.

Thanks, this is great news, as I had planned on JBing regardless. Cheers!

Now ............ we play the waiting game!

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
Nine tabs? Nine. Nine.

Just out of curiosity, why are you looking 9 pages deep?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Just out of curiosity, why are you looking 9 pages deep?

Well, actually, I too always run into this limitation... I'd prefer quickly reloading forum etc. pages without having to load them from Favorites. And, with the 1GB RAM of the iPad 3, in most cases all nine pages remain in-memory while browsing.

eurobum

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
When I'm researching both academically but also just on topics of interest I usually juggle with at least two, sometimes more, different subjects that maybe are completely unrelated. A max of 30 tabs would be ideal. Of course there is the question of how much it will affect overall performance having that many open tabs, but I'd like to push it and see what it can do.

In any case, nine is a ridiculously small number.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
When I'm researching both academically but also just on topics of interest I usually juggle with at least two, sometimes more, different subjects that maybe are completely unrelated. A max of 30 tabs would be ideal. Of course there is the question of how much it will affect overall performance having that many open tabs, but I'd like to push it and see what it can do.

In any case, nine is a ridiculously small number.

No performance loss at all. Safari shuts down tabs that were visited earlier than the rest when encountering memory shortage.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I bump into this limitation too though it doesn't bother me too much. I do usually wind up staying pretty cognizant of what I have open and try to keep to 7-8 tabs max so that this doesn't happen. It sort of forces me to be diligent.

I like Atomic but until/unless Apple allows me to replace the default browser, I can't imagine using it full time. And no, I won't JB. I tried and had a pretty unsatisfying experience. Some cool stuff but way too much effort optimizing and resolving issues. It ceases to "just work" and given my use case (note my signature) that's no cool.

andyblila

macrumors 65816
Jul 8, 2008
On My iPhone, or my iPad?
Well, actually, I too always run into this limitation... I'd prefer quickly reloading forum etc. pages without having to load them from Favorites. And, with the 1GB RAM of the iPad 3, in most cases all nine pages remain in-memory while browsing.

Nice, I've just never run more than 3 deep. I'll try tonight and see if I can break the 9 barrier.

eurobum

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 4, 2012
I really love surfing on the iPad in terms of comfortability, but when it comes down to actual performance and efficiency I see quite a long way until it reaches what you can do on a desktop.

This is a typical, albeit intense, surf session on my desktop on a 27" monitor at 2560 x 1440 and that's not taking into account the nine tabs I have open on the iPad, serious:

Last edited:

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
I agree with this. I like keeping tabs open just so I know which sites I've been to or just because. At times I have at least 20 tabs open in Google Chrome or Safari in my MBP. Couldn't this be fixed by the ">>" that shows up on Safari when too many tabs have been opened and can't all be showed on the tabs bar? Seems like it could be added or probably not since it would look too "messy" or some other reason. And no, I'm not going JB, I've learned to live with but it would be nice.

Mrg02d

macrumors 65816
Jan 27, 2012
Nine tabs? Nine. Nine.

Use the history to find where you've been.

What on earth do you need 9 tabs open for?

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I don't think I've ever come close to hitting 9 tabs, but I've always wondered what the limit was. Most of the sites I visit, if they are forums then most are on Tapatalk. Other sites I normally surf are just news/blogs and most of them have their own apps. I rarely use more than 4 tabs on Safari at any given time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.