Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Wow, quite a series of events there. How common is it even to repair an iPhone display at an unauthorized service center?? I'd never even think the thought, given the risks.

They probably get the bulk of the screen repairs, since they do them for about half price.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
In the UK there's a huge cottage industry of little shops offering phone repairs - especially iPhones as there are relatively few models and they are pretty easy to work on.

A friend used to buy up broken iPhones and resell them on eBay fixed - 9 times out of ten the problem was an easily-replaced screen.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
It is good to see a government that can do a proper, thorough investigation. I can't see that this screw could have been a part of the iPhone and must have wandered in off the bench. That points to an unbelievably sloppy service attempt. The thing must have been difficult to close with that in there.

blesscheese

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
Central CA
Wow! Who would think a little misplaced screw could do all that damage! :eek: Although I'm relieved it wasn't a hardware defect.

But it's a good lesson to all of us. If you're doing the repair yourself be extra careful! Or if you're getting your device repaired elsewhere be careful who you choose.

Working with laptops, loose screws always eventually kill...at some point, it will come to rest on some important electronic bit, and short it out, causing among other things, sparks, smoke, and even fire. Just like that iPhone.

highdough

macrumors regular
Sep 10, 2008
Unfortunately, I think most of the readership here was born well after the O ring incident...

You think most people around here were born post '86? I doubt it. I still remember where I was when I heard about it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Wait, the Australian government, not Apple, researched the issue and discovered this fault? Seems odd that Apple wouldn't have taken the device and investigated themselves.

had the government not found the issue, Apple might have been allowed access to the unit. Or perhaps not. After all Apple could lie about what caused it. Tke the chance out of the equation and have it handled by another party

----------

What if this was an the new ipad with it's huge battery, that would cause even more danger, or a laptop battery.
That's the main problem, the bigger capacities batteries get the more chance they may explode (short circuit).

Not really that big of a concern since you can't unscrew and remove the back of an iPad to play with he battery etc. so how would you manage to drop a random screw in there

Rajani Isa

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2010
Rogue Valley, Oregon
Unfortunately, I think most of the readership here was born well after the O ring incident...

if you are referring to what I think you are, age doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it.

While I admit I had to Google it (Not yet in school at the time), it did ring a memory. From history class or my own web-crawling I can't be sure.

VWMSFT

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
I'll give you that but that screw is way too big for any part of the iPhone 4, I can assure you. :] Belongs in an HTC phone, I'd assume.

----------

US, my hometown is Florida. We're all across the nation though. I guess I should have stated one of the biggest in the US and not made such a general statement, lol.

Its a backplate screw. Its obvious. Look at the size reference given. And the design of the screw.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada
Wait, the Australian government, not Apple, researched the issue and discovered this fault? Seems odd that Apple wouldn't have taken the device and investigated themselves... seems like they have a lot more at stake than the Australian government... then again, had Apple done it, I get the idea Apple wouldn't have released the results, just because Apple tends to keep what they say to a minimum...

Ah, do you think Apple had a choice in the matter?? You can be they'd of been happy to research it themselves had they been given the option...

Last edited by a moderator:

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
What if this was an the new ipad with it's huge battery, that would cause even more danger, or a laptop battery.
That's the main problem, the bigger capacities batteries get the more chance they may explode (short circuit).

We can't spend our entire lives eliminating every possible source of danger than exists. We'll be miserable because we won't be able to do anything, and will be afraid all the time.

There needs to be a reasonable tradeoff and acceptable risk. I think we've actually gone too far with risk mitigation in certain areas of life, and need to scale it back a bit. Accidents happen, and it's really sad.. but making people miserable to prevent them isn't the answer.

fastrack151

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
I found some photos on another website and from the within this indicates that the hole/tear is at least 4 ft lengthy. The past fuselage issues have been gaps about 8" x 12". We will have to delay on this one to see if there was a huge failing from the begin or circulation over the fuselage improved the dimension the opening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.