Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotboy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 6, 2012
i have a macbook pro. i am looking for strategy games that work on it because i travel a lot for work.

when i'm home, it's not a problem because i have windows PC.

looking for games like command and conquer, real war ect. something that i can just kinda play in my hotel room w/o obliterating my hard drive or killing my macbook.

thanks

:eek:

Shadow2k

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2009
Hi.

StarCraft II - works even on my MacBook Air
WarCraft III - Needs to be installed and fully patched on a Mac running 10.4-10.6 and then copied over to Lion (alternatively via wine)

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Most of the Command and Conqueror games are available for mac.
Heroes of Might and Magic V, Kings Bounty and the Civilization games are also available.

oklaonion

macrumors member
Mar 24, 2011
StarCraft 2 and Civilization IV. Both infinitely playable and a great value.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Hi.

StarCraft II - works even on my MacBook Air
WarCraft III - Needs to be installed and fully patched on a Mac running 10.4-10.6 and then copied over to Lion (alternatively via wine)
Or just installed using the digital download on Blizzards website, which is much easier than messing with Wine.

I'll recommend Warcraft III, Starcraft I + 2 and Civilization IV.

divamatt

macrumors newbie
Mar 8, 2012
I'm playing Sins of Solar Empire. Can't tell you how it is online, I'm too much of a wuss to try it. Enjoyable game though and certainly the AI gives you a good run for your money.

It's a 4X space game in the style of Galactic Civs or Master of Orion, but in realtime.

Risasi

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
- Rome Total War (specifically w/ certain mods, like Europa Barbarorum)

- Civ IV

- Starcraft II

Those are my pics, probably in that order.

---

P.S. You didn't specify what model MBP you have, can you do that?

cocohuang

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
i have a macbook pro. i am looking for strategy games that work on it because i travel a lot for work.

when i'm home, it's not a problem because i have windows PC.

looking for games like command and conquer, real war ect. something that i can just kinda play in my hotel room w/o obliterating my hard drive or killing my macbook.

thanks

:eek:
I have played Warflow,and I think it is one good strategy game

Smartie

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
Why do you all guys keep recommending Civ IV when Civ V is out since a year and runs on Macs. I think Civ V is a better game than Civ IV at least for the casual gamer but also for us who has been around since Civ I.

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
Why do you all guys keep recommending Civ IV when Civ V is out since a year and runs on Macs. I think Civ V is a better game than Civ IV at least for the casual gamer but also for us who has been around since Civ I.
For the casual gamer prehaps, but for anyone who likes a more deep game, and better, Civ IV is definitely the way to go. Most old school Civ players prefers IV by a large margin.

Smartie

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2012
Stockholm, Sweden
For the casual gamer prehaps, but for anyone who likes a more deep game, and better, Civ IV is definitely the way to go. Most old school Civ players prefers IV by a large margin.

I would say it is a balance between the two camps, but that is just opinion and not facts. I for one prefer V because it took away some annoying features of IV, and the battles are better and more interesting in V. Anyhow, good for the OP and others to know that V exist, now (s)he can make a more educated choice. :)

T'hain Esh Kelch

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2001
Denmark
I would say it is a balance between the two camps, but that is just opinion and not facts. I for one prefer V because it took away some annoying features of IV, and the battles are better and more interesting in V. Anyhow, good for the OP and others to know that V exist, now (s)he can make a more educated choice. :)
If you go to a place like CivFanatics, the majority prefers Civ IV.

laetusviator

macrumors member
May 31, 2012
If you don't mind turn-based strategy, take a look at Unity of Command. Hex-based WW2 game kind of like the old panzer general games.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.