Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
MD
I have a 2011 Imac and the wifi keeps disconnecting. It happens very often, Atleast 10 times a day. Its not problem with my router becuase my macbook doesn't lose service. Is anyone familiar with this? Should I take it to the genius bar?

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
I have a 2011 Imac and the wifi keeps disconnecting. It happens very often, Atleast 10 times a day. Its not problem with my router becuase my macbook doesn't lose service. Is anyone familiar with this? Should I take it to the genius bar?

Its an extremely common problem that has existed since the launch of OS X Lion. Apple has yet to fix it.

Saying that, mine was fine, before Apple then released so called "fixes" for the WiFi, which actually broke mine.

Expect it to be a major feature of OS X Mountain Lion :rolleyes:

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
MD
Its an extremely common problem that has existed since the launch of OS X Lion. Apple has yet to fix it.

Saying that, mine was fine, before Apple then released so called "fixes" for the WiFi, which actually broke mine.

Expect it to be a major feature of OS X Mountain Lion :rolleyes:

Great, this is extremly annoying. I will be in the middle of downloads and it just stops.

The only annoyance with my mac.

BlackFalcon448

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011

Apple actually released an update not too long ago that fixed this very problem. I would know, because I was having the constant dropping issue too. The fix was to apply the update, then go into the wi-fi settings, then advanced, then foget all of the networks there by pressing the - button. After doing that rejoin all the networks and you should be all set. At least, that's what I did and my iMac had been running for 23 days now without issue.

MacRumors actually did a story about the update:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/24/apple-releases-imac-wi-fi-update-v1-0/

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
Great, this is extremly annoying. I will be in the middle of downloads and it just stops.

The only annoyance with my mac.

Its the very reason I'm (reluctantly) selling mine.

Its perfectly fine in Windows, no dropouts at all. I dont understand how Apple can get something so basic so so sooooo wrong.

----------

Apple actually released an update not too long ago that fixed this very problem. I would know, because I was having the constant dropping issue too. The fix was to apply the update, then go into the wi-fi settings, then advanced, then foget all of the networks there by pressing the - button. After doing that rejoin all the networks and you should be all set. At least, that's what I did and my iMac had been running for 23 days now without issue.

MacRumors actually did a story about the update:
https://www.macrumors.com/2012/02/24/apple-releases-imac-wi-fi-update-v1-0/

Didn't fix it at all unfortunately. I've followed the steps many times and am still faced with the same issue. But like I said, I didnt have any of these issues before Apple released the so-called fix.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
MD
I will try those and see if it works, Has anyone ever taken it to a genius bar?

stevenb

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2008
I was having the same problem several months before my Time Capsule finally failed. Do you have an Airport Extreme Base Station or a Time Capsule that is getting around 2.5-3 years old? If so, it may be the problem. I waited until mine finally died. I bought a new Time Capsule and no further problems. Just a thought.

ri0ku

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
Mine has been doing the same thing since I got it... its annoying as hell. In fact this will be the only iMac I ever buy, its been nothing but a nightmare issue after issue I'm onto my 3rd machine now and even now I'm still getting issues (dust under the screen starting to happen in one corner) apple care still not transferred over to the replacement iMac etc etc...

Frustrating and annoying. Great machine design but still has issues that shouldn't happen not on such an expensive machine.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
MD
Ok this is getting pretty annoying now. it drops about 10 times a day..anything can be done about this??

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I've had this problem on iMac, Mac Mini and MacBook - the fix I found only worked for the MacBook and the iMac, and it was to manually add the DNS-Server ip's (in the internet settings) provided by my internet provider.

But as I said - it did NOT work for the Mac Mini, so there might be more to this problem than meets the eye (if indeed the same problem). This problem has also been consistent with different routers and different Wifi-networks.

Last edited:

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
MD
I even ran snow leopard of an external..so it isnt a software issue...it drops with sl too...I am so pissed. My applecare expired 5 days ago. I put in on my phone when the expiration date was to remind me to buy coverage. I must have done something wrong with cloud because it was no longer in my calendar.

InlawBiker

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2007
Before you do something extreme make sure you do a WiFi analysis. There are dozens of free ones for your phone or computer.

Look for conflicts on the channel you're using. This is often an issue in a crowded apartment building or dorm where a whole bunch of AP's are using the same frequency.

For example Linksys always uses Channel 6 for default and most people don't change it. Then you end up with everybody using Channel 6 and a lot of interference.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Before you do something extreme make sure you do a WiFi analysis. There are dozens of free ones for your phone or computer.

Look for conflicts on the channel you're using. This is often an issue in a crowded apartment building or dorm where a whole bunch of AP's are using the same frequency.

For example Linksys always uses Channel 6 for default and most people don't change it. Then you end up with everybody using Channel 6 and a lot of interference.

I use iStumbler on the Mac for this.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Apple actually released an update not too long ago that fixed this very problem.

Well, it doesn't work. Actually, my problems only become worse after the update. All other devices and laptops work like a charm, only the iMac makes problems. It used to work great on Snow leopard, so its s Lion drivers issue.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
I can only assume it's dependent upon which router you have. My 2011 Mini hasn't dropped a connection since I plugged it in 10 months ago.

DIMEZ

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 5, 2009
MD
but my mac mini ,macbook pro, pc, ipade never lose connection...its just the iMac..Its hard to believe its a router problem when everything works so perfect...i just opened up the iMac to cHeck the airport card.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
but my mac mini ,macbook pro, pc, ipade never lose connection...its just the iMac..Its hard to believe its a router problem when everything works so perfect...i just opened up the iMac to cHeck the airport card.

Could be a million different things.. distance to router, amount of interference between computer and router, strength of signal of competing networks.. these things will all be different for each computer, unless they're literally on top of each other.

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
Could be a million different things.. distance to router, amount of interference between computer and router, strength of signal of competing networks.. these things will all be different for each computer, unless they're literally on top of each other.

If a computer works perfectly using one OS, but drops WiFi when switching to another OS, this is hardly a router issue.

Accept it: Lion has a bug in its Atheros drivers and Appel has not fixed it yet.

Chippy99

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012

Well, there must be some difference between your iMac and mine given the huge difference in our experiences. Maybe some are faulty and you are unlucky. But my bet would be on a compatibility issue between the iMac and certain routers. Prior to my Mini I was using an AppleTV that would constantly drop its connection to my Linksys router, and as soon as I replaced that with a Netgear it was rock solid - even though the wifi signal was no stronger. It was just something to do with the two devices not getting on together. Linksys and Apple were aware of the issue, but couldn't seem to fix it between them.

EDIT: Please ignore me, I have had a brain failure and was thinking you were talking about a Mini, not an iMac. Not the first time I have been in the wrong forum!!?!?!?

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
I'm having the same problem as this.

Just run i stumbler...

This doesn't look good....?

I live in a shared house, router on the ground floor, me on the 3rd floor.

Would a repeater help?

istumblerairport.jpg

By flunkyturtle at 2012-05-10

My network is the top one

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
If a computer works perfectly using one OS, but drops WiFi when switching to another OS, this is hardly a router issue.

Accept it: Lion has a bug in its Atheros drivers and Appel has not fixed it yet.

Lion has problems. But I believe the OP noted that, on the same computer, he booted into Snow Leopard and still has the same problems.

----------

I'm having the same problem as this.

Just run i stumbler...

This doesn't look good....?

I live in a shared house, router on the ground floor, me on the 3rd floor.

Would a repeater help?

By flunkyturtle at 2012-05-10

My network is the top one

If you have the ability to go 5 GHz, you should. Your 2.4 GHz is jammed. If you can't (iPhones are notable for not working on 5 GHz :( ), switch the channel to one not currently being used, like 3 or 9, and see if things get better.

Flunkyturtle

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2011
Lion has problems. But I believe the OP noted that, on the same computer, he booted into Snow Leopard and still has the same problems.

----------

If you have the ability to go 5 GHz, you should. Your 2.4 GHz is jammed. If you can't (iPhones are notable for not working on 5 GHz :( ), switch the channel to one not currently being used, like 3 or 9, and see if things get better.

Thanks for that :)

How would i go about changing the channel?

Presumably purchasing an Airport extreme will allow me to have the WIFI in 5ghz as well?

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
How do i switch the router to a different signal?

What brand is it?

----------

Presumably purchasing an Airport extreme will allow me to have the WIFI in 5ghz as well?

Yes, the Apple routers support 5 GHz. But again, that's only good if everything you need on wireless supports it. Xbox 360 Slims are another example of something built recently but doesn't know 5 GHz exists.

Most 5 GHz routers are simultaneous dual band, (supporting 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz), but that still leaves the problem of getting 2.4 GHz working for anything that needs it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.