Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

schwarzmuller

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
There are several options on how to block certain content.
Maybe your router has a built in blocker, if not you can use a different dns (dyndns or opendns).
Its also advised to create an account on your mac which limits editing system settings, especially regarding network settings.

I know this is very general information. If you require further assistance give me your email and i will give detailed information.

pezsurfer

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
Help

I installed Xcode 3.2.6 . i have safari 5.0.3
I followed the steps for disabling private browsing but i am stuck. I can get as far as trying to open the mainmenu.nib in interface builder. But when it tries to open i get the error message others have gotten...cannot open compiled nib.

SO i tried the RESOURCE zipped folders that someone posted, I can open the main menu.nib folder in interface builder using the resource folder, and i can click on private browsing and delete it. I do my command save , but when i launch safari after the private browsing is still there... any ideas?

thanks

schwarzmuller

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
I believe I pre-modified them, the private browsing option is allready gone.
There's no need to edit them.
You took the mainmenu.nib for your language? Did you replace it in the safari app folder in the correct language folder?
It should work.

maclynjoy

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2011
any difference in Lion?

I went through all of the current steps, including the download of the zip files, replacement of the .nib in the folder. When I open it with xcode, it shows the new file without PB, but safari still shows PB. Do you know if there's anything new with Lion that is preventing this? I bought a new computer last week and in order to install xcode, I had to upgrade to Lion so I wasn't able to try it in snow leopard.

karebear1

macrumors newbie
Aug 13, 2011
Trouble?

I am double clicking or control clicking on the safari icon in finder and am not able to bring up the show details thing. Can someone please help me with this?

jmoffet

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2011
Not working in OS10.4

Trying to do the same thing. I have a mac 10.5.8 that I downloaded the xcode 3 and used perfectly as described above. However the other computer is mac 10.4.11 and the modified files didn't work (safari wouldn't open again) and downloading xcode 2.2 when I tried opening mainmenu.nib there was still no "open with" option. It just showed contents like keyed objects etc - definitely not the interface builder screen I saw when it worked on the other computer. I tried downloading xcode2.5 and the same thing.
Please help!!

Last edited:

kyle1234

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2011
I was looking for a way to disable private browsing in Safari. so i looked and looked and couldn't find one, until i remembered that a lot of Apple apps have the NIB (interface builder) files in the application package. so here's how to disable the "Private Browsing" menu option in safari, effectively disabling private browsing!

(you must have Xcode tools installed... its a free download from apple.com but also included with newer macs. and putting up a modified binary would be futile, because it will be changed every safari/mac os x update, so whenever you update the software, make sure to follow these steps again.)

1. Go to applications folder in Finder
2. right click (with a mighty mouse or 2 button mouse, or Control+click for one button mice) on safari and choose "Show Package Contents"
3. Go to Contents, then Resources, then English.lproj folder (or a respective folder for whatever language you have maybe)
4. Double click on MainMenu.nib to open it in interface builder
5. look at the window with the safari menu, click on Safari to expand it, then click on the Private Browsing menu item.
6. hit the delete key and it disappears!
7. hit command+s to save, close interface builder if you want, and relaunch safari.

and there, no more private browsing option! hope this helps everyone.

Can this be done on the iPhone 4s?

hottpepper

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2012
This worked perfectly, can it be Undone in the future?

[/COLOR]
I was looking for a way to disable private browsing in Safari. so i looked and looked and couldn't find one, until i remembered that a lot of Apple apps have the NIB (interface builder) files in the application package. so here's how to disable the "Private Browsing" menu option in safari, effectively disabling private browsing!

(you must have Xcode tools installed... its a free download from apple.com but also included with newer macs. and putting up a modified binary would be futile, because it will be changed every safari/mac os x update, so whenever you update the software, make sure to follow these steps again.)

1. Go to applications folder in Finder
2. right click (with a mighty mouse or 2 button mouse, or Control+click for one button mice) on safari and choose "Show Package Contents"
3. Go to Contents, then Resources, then English.lproj folder (or a respective folder for whatever language you have maybe)
4. Double click on MainMenu.nib to open it in interface builder
5. look at the window with the safari menu, click on Safari to expand it, then click on the Private Browsing menu item.
6. hit the delete key and it disappears!
7. hit command+s to save, close interface builder if you want, and relaunch safari.

and there, no more private browsing option! hope this helps everyone.

This worked perfectly for me, but can it be undone in the future?

Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Last edited:

Erica22

macrumors newbie
May 7, 2012
Didn't Work

Tried to add the modified files from schwarzmuller (post 22 and 24) to the MainMenu.nib and the "updated" Safari will not open. (Crash reporter opens instead) Any suggestions as to what I'm doing wrong?

melissajoan6

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2012
Finally something that works!

Thank you so much schwarzmuller for helping me get rid of the "private browsing" option!! I downloaded the zip file posted (#22) and followed the attached directions. The only thing I did slightly different was renamed MainMenu.nib in your folder to MainMenuoriginal.nib so that I could rename MainMenu1.nib to MainMenu.nib and drag it into MY English.Iprog folder. (Sorry if that made NO sense...I'm just trying to help people who are attempting the same thing).
I cannot thank you enough. This is great. Everything about the menu looks exactly the same, just no private browsing option. :)

Snobrdchic

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
It is reversible. Before modifying the file, you could copy the original version to a safe location. If you have a Time Machine Backup of Safari, then you are covered.
So once u know what you are doing, is this a simple process? Are we talking 2 minutes or half an hour?

clsnkkl

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
Help please!!

I was able to disable private browsing, but a few weeks later the option returned. No one had messed with it, it just reappeared. Now when I go through the steps to disable it again-it isn't in the menu as an option. I am confused. Can anyone help please?

diveynerd

macrumors newbie
Jan 30, 2013
which version of osx and safari?

What you did was a fantastic idea...but like another user, every time I use your files, it corrupts my Safari and it crashes and will no longer open. My Safari version is 5.1.7 and IOS 10.6.8. Is there anything that you know of that could be causing the crash. This has been awhile I know...but I'd really like to do this. Thank you!

schwarzmuller

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2011
they are not compatible with ios, i'm quite sure. If you can provide me the mainmenu.nib files for safari on ios, i can modify them.

edit: right, you just mean osx 10.6.8... Just upload the mainmenu.nib file of your language. I will edit it...

Last edited:

broncab

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2013
mainmenu.nib folder

they are not compatible with ios, i'm quite sure. If you can provide me the mainmenu.nib files for safari on ios, i can modify them.

edit: right, you just mean osx 10.6.8... Just upload the mainmenu.nib file of your language. I will edit it...

Do you still have the modified mainmenu.nib folder? I cannot find it in your posts above.

robingoodfellow

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2013
The edited MainMenu.nib that used to be downloadable from this thread worked perfectly for me a year or so ago. I saved that file to use again the next time I updated my browser, and now Safari crashes every time this edited MainMenu.nib is inside the Englishproj folder.

It was a perfect solution, and now it doesn't work.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Macbook
OSX 10.7.5
Safari 6.0.5

Luciana

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Unlock main menu nib

Hello, please, I need to disable private browsing, but when I'm in main menu nib, a window open and say: "main menu.nib is locked" why? What should I do to unlock it?
Thank you!

Luciana

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Thanks everybody !

Thank you!! I had a very busy times, so , as soon as I have time i will try all of your recommended thinks to do.! And let you know.
Thanks!!!
Luciana

Luciana

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
My e Mail

Hello, schwarzmuller! Please, can i hice you my e Mail?
Is about unlock main menu nib.
Supern8va8@hotmail.com

Thank you!
Luciana

Gregg2

macrumors 604
May 22, 2008
Milwaukee, WI
Not a good idea to post your e-mail address on a public forum. That's where the Private Message feature comes in handy. You're just inviting tons of spam...

Luciana

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2013
Not a good idea to post your e-mail address on a public forum. That's where the Private Message feature comes in handy. You're just inviting tons of spam...
thank you !

----------

Unlock main menu nib!
Hello, please, I need to disable private browsing, but when I'm in main menu nib, a window open and say: "main menu.nib is locked" why? What should I do to unlock it?
Thank you!

everchris

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2014
can't find mainmenu.nib

I get to the English.lproj folder and the mainmenu.nib is not where to be found.
Using version 8.0.2

Help please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.