Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDryCleaner

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 3, 2007
Contact photos. Every one of my contact photos are taken with my Mac isight camera, placed into the individual contact page and, of course, synced with iCloud thus onto my iphone.

WHY IN THE NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY DO SOME PICTURES TAKE UP A SMALL SQUARE IN THE CORNER AND SOME PICTURES TAKE UP THE ENTIRE SCREEN???

In the old iOS versions if you set up a contact photo FROM THE DEVICE it would take up the entire screen. If you set up a contact photo FROM THE MAC it would occupy a corner of the screen and look very classy.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing incorrectly that causes pictures to be so inconsistently presented?

Thanks!

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008
It always used to be that if it was ever edited from the device, the image would take up the full screen. Perhaps it has changed so just editing the CONTACT, not specifically the picture, causes this change. If you've edited any of the contacts on the phone, that'd be my best guess.

Perhaps the software has also been rewritten so that if the resolution is high enough it'll use the fullscreen photo, though that doesn't make sense since each of your photos was taken with the same camera.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
It always used to be...

I'm pretty sure that any and all rules people remember went out the window with iOS 5.

There used to be some logic to it but these days it just seems random to me. If there ARE rules anymore they're so convoluted that the end result is too confusing to predict.

Pomeless

macrumors regular
Nov 15, 2010
I'm pretty sure that any and all rules people remember went out the window with iOS 5.

There used to be some logic to it but these days it just seems random to me. If there ARE rules anymore they're so convoluted that the end result is too confusing to predict.

It's a shame. I think that I'd dig the smaller photos but it seems like quite a chore. I do not own a Mac so I've never really bothered. Too bad this isn't just a simple toggle type option.

nwmtnbiker

macrumors 68000
Apr 5, 2011
Fidalgo Island
I have a 4s on 5.01 and hated the large photo covering the whole screen when somebody called or when I called out. I have a macbook and opened address book and added photos from the address book and now they are small up in the right hand corner.

Not sure if you were able to get it done or not? There was about a 12 outa 150 pictures that didn't change ended up having to delete from phone then sync then add from address book. Most were changed by simply opening contact on mac and clicking edit and saving then done. But a few were not.

I also went to settings/phone/show my called id & switched it off lol. Tested them all so 150 peeps got a call from a withheld number!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
I have a 4s on 5.01 and hated the large photo covering the whole screen when somebody called or when I called out. I have a macbook and opened address book and added photos from the address book and now they are small up in the right hand corner.

Not sure if you were able to get it done or not? There was about a 12 outa 150 pictures that didn't change ended up having to delete from phone then sync then add from address book. Most were changed by simply opening contact on mac and clicking edit and saving then done. But a few were not.

I also went to settings/phone/show my called id & switched it off lol. Tested them all so 150 peeps got a call from a withheld number!

Did you sync with iCloud or directly to your Mac?

deanfx4u

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010
I changed the size of my contact photos to 100x100 and use iCloud for my contacts. Seems to be keeping them all small at this point.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.