Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Anyone believe we will see the next generation iPod touch before Fall?

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Before Autumn? No. Only because the latest we'll see a new iPhone is Autumn and we won't see both released simultaneously. I'd imagine a July/August release of a new iPhone (notice the name) and September-usual for iPods.

sparky52t

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
iPod touch... the future of...

I'd imagine, if there is an iPod touch 5th gen, that the dimensions will be markedly different from what they are now. Seems they'll nudge up the size to something bigger than now but much smaller than an iPad.

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
With respect to developers, if the screen size of the iPhone 5 is 4", then the iPod Touch 5th gen
should follow suite, and release a 4" screen too. Developers would want an entry-level model that
matches the same screen specs as the iPhone 5.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
I'd imagine, if there is an iPod touch 5th gen, that the dimensions will be markedly different from what they are now. Seems they'll nudge up the size to something bigger than now but much smaller than an iPad.

What, so the iPod Touch would be bigger than the iPhone? I don't think so.

samdev

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2011
Whatever the case, I would like to hear some confirmation on their screen sizes.

But, as a developer, I won't be compelled to buy a 5th gen iPod Touch if the screen
size doesn't match the iPhone 5.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
The new, smaller A5 would give it a good boost in processing power. If they can get a better camera in it that would be nice.

Apple don't really need to do much to it, they're not selling many iPods anymore relatively speaking and what they do sell doesn't have much competition.

Engali

macrumors member
Jul 7, 2012
Even if it doesn't, there are work arounds in development that make it possible. Look up the Freedom Sleeve in Kickstarter.

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
It should and could happen. Besides, it makes sense.

Not really, because then it would cut into iPhone sales. The 3G/4G iPad is a different matter because it's a tablet, so the cellular antenna makes sense there. It could happen, but then the iPod would be heavier and thicker due to the extra radio, not to mention the enlarged battery that would be necessary to maintain the battery life it has now (because the cellular radio would eat up a LOT more power than just a wifi radio).

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
Not really, because then it would cut into iPhone sales.
Nonsense. The iOS needs 3G/4G everywhere:
iCloud (music, documents, ...), Safari, App Store, Siri, Maps, and so on.

It could happen, but then the iPod would be heavier and thicker due to the extra radio, not to mention the enlarged battery that would be necessary to maintain the battery life it has now (because the cellular radio would eat up a LOT more power than just a wifi radio).
Apple uses IGZO-displays in future iDevices. See also:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15510442#post15510442

3dflyboy1

macrumors 6502
Jun 27, 2011
California, USA
Nonsense. The iOS needs 3G/4G everywhere:
iCloud (music, documents, ...), Safari, App Store, Siri, Maps, and so on.

All of those features already function fine without a data plan (except Siri, which is iPhone exclusive at the moment). The new iPad doesn't have Siri (even with a cellular radio), why would the iPod touch?

Apple uses IGZO-displays in future iDevices. See also:
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=15510442#post15510442

"Uses?" At this point it's only speculation. At best it's "probably will use." It would be great, though. Especially in the next gen iPad!

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
All of those features already function fine without a data plan (except Siri, which is iPhone exclusive at the moment).
Not in 90 percent of the world, because these features require a WiFi-connection on the current hardware.

The new iPad doesn't have Siri (even with a cellular radio), why would the iPod touch?
One word: Progress. 3G/4G modems (USB connection) cost around 30 US$. Apple needs only the appropriate Qualcomm-chip, not an entire modem. Apples pays probably less than 10 US$ for all 3G/4G network components in one iDevice, such as the iPhone or the next iPod touch.

"Uses?" At this point it's only speculation. At best it's "probably will use." It would be great, though. Especially in the next gen iPad!
:) Let us hope.

Blackberryroid

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2012
/private/var/vm/
All of those features already function fine without a data plan (except Siri, which is iPhone exclusive at the moment). The new iPad doesn't have Siri (even with a cellular radio), why would the iPod touch?

I guess you're right. Who knows, maybe the iPod touch will be discontinued since the rumored iPad mini has the same price. Unless they're willing to put the price of the iPod touch to $99 (which I highly doubt), I can't see a reason to go for the touch if I could have the bigger and better iPad mini.

Let me rephrase what I said earlier.

I want iPad mini + 3G.

Gulfgirl

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
There is still a market for the iPod Touch!

I love my iPod Touch. I don't want an iPhone because I can't afford the monthly data plans. Also, I can use my iPod Touch all day without worrying about using the phone battery. I use the apps on my iPod Touch daily. I have an armband and play music and use the Nike+GPS to track my exercise. I couldn't do that with an iPad Mini. I connect my iPod to my car radio and bring my tunes everywhere. I suppose I could do that with an iPad Mini, but it would not fit in the console and would get in the way. I couldn't fit an iPad Mini in my pocket, and I would have to have a large purse to carry it. I'd love to have an iPad, and maybe I would like an iPad Mini, but I don't see anything really replacing my iPod Touch. I hope it stays around for a long time.

Who knows, maybe the iPod touch will be discontinued since the rumored iPad mini has the same price. Unless they're willing to put the price of the iPod touch to $99 (which I highly doubt), I can't see a reason to go for the touch if I could have the bigger and better iPad mini.

Let me rephrase what I said earlier.

I want iPad mini + 3G.

RightMACatU

macrumors 65816
Jul 12, 2012
I guess you're right. Who knows, maybe the iPod touch will be discontinued since the rumored iPad mini has the same price. Unless they're willing to put the price of the iPod touch to $99 (which I highly doubt), I can't see a reason to go for the touch if I could have the bigger and better iPad mini.

I don't see myself going to the gym with an iPad Mini strapped to my arm or my waist :D

lantinian

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2011
Varna, Bulgaria
No 3G

The current iPod Touch does not have a 3G+GPS because its battery has much less capacity than iPhone's.

Removing the edge trimm may indicate that Apple is searching for more internal space.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
I love my iPod Touch. I don't want an iPhone because I can't afford the monthly data plans. Also, I can use my iPod Touch all day without worrying about using the phone battery. I use the apps on my iPod Touch daily. I have an armband and play music and use the Nike+GPS to track my exercise. I couldn't do that with an iPad Mini. I connect my iPod to my car radio and bring my tunes everywhere. I suppose I could do that with an iPad Mini, but it would not fit in the console and would get in the way. I couldn't fit an iPad Mini in my pocket, and I would have to have a large purse to carry it. I'd love to have an iPad, and maybe I would like an iPad Mini, but I don't see anything really replacing my iPod Touch. I hope it stays around for a long time.
If you are looking to upgrade your iPod Touch, I highly recommend buying an iPhone 4. (please keep reading! ;) ) An iPhone 4 without cell service is basically an "iPod Touch Pro". It can do everything an iPod Touch does, but only better.

There are MANY iPhone 4 devices for sale on places like eBay that are mint/new that won't require a cell service. A CDMA-based iPhone 4 with a bad ESN can (virtually) never be used as a phone, but makes a great iPod Touch. And because they can't be used as a phone, the prices of them are suppressed in comparison to functional iPhones.

There are a few reasons why a phone ends up with a bad ESN. 1) it was reported stolen, 2) it was reported lost (and subsequently found), 3) the owner failed to continue to pay on the contract. Obviously you wouldn't want to encourage theft, but options 2 and 3 are morally acceptable and something to consider.

I own an iPod Touch 4G 64GB. I absolutely love it. I also bought a 3 month old Verizon 32GB iPhone 4 w/bad ESN (non-payment of contract) on eBay from a reputable seller for $240. It makes a terrific iPod... and because the cell radio and GPS are turned off, battery life is insane.

I have previously posted a set of common sense guidelines for buying an iPhone on eBay that will virtually eliminate the possibility of getting ripped off.

I hope that Apple upgrades the iPod Touch this generation, but if they don't and they put it in "steady state", getting an off-contract iPhone 4 makes a pretty nifty upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.