Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Junebugapril

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
I know it's been asked before.

I want to burn back-up movie DVDs from actual DVDs, not downloads.

I have an older lady in my building with an old DVD player. I want to make small DVD files to burn DVDs for her to play on her old DVD player. They don't have to be the best quality. I don't want to buy double sided DVDs.

I have Handbrake and VLC. Can I make smaller movie files, and which format with Handbrake should I use?

Will it even work?
Thanks!
June

Nov 28, 2010
located
You could try Burn, which needs more steps (ripping, transcoding, transcoding, burning) or Toast Titanium.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads, since it, you know, has been asked before:

Junebugapril

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
You could try Burn, which needs more steps (ripping, transcoding, transcoding, burning) or Toast Titanium.

Maybe have a look at Advanced Search to find similar threads, since it, you know, has been asked before:

I tried Burn, but it wants double-sided discs. What I want to do is make the file not as good of quality, so I don't need to use double-sided discs. The older lady in my building can't see that well, anyways, so she won't care ;)

I did do an advanced search, and could not find it.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I tried Burn, but it wants double-sided discs. What I want to do is make the file not as good of quality, so I don't need to use double-sided discs. The older lady in my building can't see that well, anyways, so she won't care ;)

That is why I linked to the second application I mentioned, which does what you want in less steps, as using Burn will result in more steps:
1. Rip DVD via ripping software
2. Transcode ripped video DVD via HandBrake to an .mp4 file
1. and 2. can be combined with HandBrake and VLC of course, see here: How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format in Mac OS X.
3. Open Burn and drag .mp4 into it to make a video DVD:
BURN_video-dvd_1.png

BURN_video-dvd_2.png

BURN_video-dvd_3.png

BURN_video-dvd_4.png
4. Wait for the transcoding and burning process to finish.

Junebugapril

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
That is why I linked to the second application I mentioned, which does what you want in less steps, as using Burn will result in more steps:
1. Rip DVD via ripping software
2. Transcode ripped video DVD via HandBrake to an .mp4 file
1. and 2. can be combined with HandBrake and VLC of course, see here: How to backup/copy/rip video DVDs to your HDD and transcode them to another format in Mac OS X.
3. Open Burn and drag .mp4 into it to make a video DVD:
4. Wait for the transcoding and burning process to finish.

Sims, I am going to try that, thank you so much! Will let you know how it works out.
June

Junebugapril

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Just trying it now. Should I use Burn to rip it? I think that makes it into an .iso file.
EDIT: Trying Mac the ripper Pro

Ugh, one more question. If I use Handbrake to rip it, that makes it into an MP4 file but the extension is M4V.

Junebugapril

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Ugh, one more question. If I use Handbrake to rip it, that makes it into an MP4 file but the extension is M4V.

Trying Mac The Ripper Pro right now to rip it. I selected "Burn main movie only".

----------

It doesn't matter, .m4v is the same as .mp4, just made for iTunes. You can rename .m4v files to .mp4 files and then us that, if the .m4v file gives you problems.

So I can rip it with Handbrake and make it smaller while doing so, then name it .mp4?

So I can really do the whole rip one step with Handbrake, then burn it?

Junebugapril

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
Oh, my! Rip-it has an extension of Handbrake that it automatically downloads! It automatically compresses the file, too.

I think I'm just going to buy Rip it if it works with Lion. Burn was a pain in the a**, even with emailing the creator.

Junebugapril

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 11, 2012
I ended up using Rip-it to rip and compress the DVD.
I used 4media DVD Creator to burn the disc.

I also downloaded MacDVDRipper which I will try next time.

I want to buy software for this, just don't want to pay $79 for Toast.

MacDVDRipper is ~$25
Rip-it is ~$20

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.