Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jcole6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
HI,

Recorded some footage with a Sony HDR-SR12 and I am trying to transfer it to DVD from my Final Cut Pro 7 and it looks beyond horrible. When the computer is on my computer it looks fantastic but I can't get a half decent transfer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Can you divulge into more details what exact steps you have taken to get the footage off the camera into FCP and what you did to get the sequence from FCP to a video DVD?

Jcole6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Can you divulge into more details what exact steps you have taken to get the footage off the camera into FCP and what you did to get the sequence from FCP to a video DVD?

I transfered them a while back, I'm pretty sure I did it through FCP. They are all on an external hard drive now as Quicktime movie files. When I play them out of FCP they look perfect, when I play them inside of FCP they look perfect, it is only on DVD transfer that they look bad.
I had FCP 6 and exported it onto a DVD via the standard DVD studio procedure and it looked awful. I recently upgraded to FCP and did it through the Share feature in FCP 7 and it looks just as bad if not worse.

Nov 28, 2010
located
I transfered them a while back, I'm pretty sure I did it through FCP. They are all on an external hard drive now as Quicktime movie files. When I play them out of FCP they look perfect, when I play them inside of FCP they look perfect, it is only on DVD transfer that they look bad.
I had FCP 6 and exported it onto a DVD via the standard DVD studio procedure and it looked awful. I recently upgraded to FCP and did it through the Share feature in FCP 7 and it looks just as bad if not worse.

Use Compressor first with your sequence via sending it to Compressor (right click on sequence in bin and select Send > Compressor), here is a video tutorial for Compressor 4 (720p, you can pause, as it is still a bit fast), but Compressor 3 works too, only that the settings are somewhere else:
2012_03_13_pB1_Compressor3_presets.png
Then import the resulting .m2v and .ac3 files into DVD Studio Pro and make your DVD.

Jcole6

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2012
Use Compressor first with your sequence via sending it to Compressor (right click on sequence in bin and select Send > Compressor), here is a video tutorial for Compressor 4 (720p, you can pause, as it is still a bit fast), but Compressor 3 works too, only that the settings are somewhere else:
Then import the resulting .m2v and .ac3 files into DVD Studio Pro and make your DVD.

Thanks so much! I am going to try this today and let you know how it turned out.

Digitalclips

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2006
Sarasota, Florida
HI,

Recorded some footage with a Sony HDR-SR12 and I am trying to transfer it to DVD from my Final Cut Pro 7 and it looks beyond horrible. When the computer is on my computer it looks fantastic but I can't get a half decent transfer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Do you mean transfer simply for storage or to actually play fron a DVD. DVDs are standard definition, 640 x 480 from the last century unless you are talking about HD DVDs.

yoak

macrumors 68000
Oct 4, 2004
Oslo, Norway
If you watch a DVD make sure to watch it from a DVD player on a tv, not a computer. They often look crap on a monitor, but good on a tv

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.