Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Apple replaced my phone yesterday. They couldn't get mine to turn on since it wouldn't hold a charge.

I synced from back up and everything looked good. But for some reason, I can't update my apps. I have 16 apps that need updating, but it says I don't have enough storage? I choose 'Update All' about 20 seconds later, I get a message....'Cannot Download' 'There is not enough available storage to download these items. You can manage your storage in settings'

Do they mean on my phone or iCloud? I didn't have an issue before. The message gives the option of 'Done' or 'Settings'. I choose settings and I assumed it would take me there but it doesn't. So why do I get the option? I'm sorry, but I am confused. These apps are already on my phone. These are just updates.

Based on the text messages and email, I think my last sync was 4/30 so I was updating the apps from then.

iSR5

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Apple replaced my phone yesterday. They couldn't get mine to turn on since it wouldn't hold a charge.

I synced from back up and everything looked good. But for some reason, I can't update my apps. I have 16 apps that need updating, but it says I don't have enough storage? I choose 'Update All' about 20 seconds later, I get a message....'Cannot Download' 'There is not enough available storage to download these items. You can manage your storage in settings'

Do they mean on my phone or iCloud? I didn't have an issue before. The message gives the option of 'Done' or 'Settings'. I choose settings and I assumed it would take me there but it doesn't. So why do I get the option? I'm sorry, but I am confused. These apps are already on my phone. These are just updates.

Based on the text messages and email, I think my last sync was 4/30 so I was updating the apps from then.

This means either your iCloud storage or iPhone.. are almost out of space.
Check on both of them and see if there is space on both.
Try to update your apps from iTunes then re-sync your iPhone.

Also, deleting iCloud account from Settings (Without deleting the saved backup in the iPhone.) could solve the problem.

:cool:

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
This means either your iCloud storage or iPhone.. are almost out of space.
Check on both of them and see if there is space on both.
Try to update your apps from iTunes then re-sync your iPhone.

Also, deleting iCloud account from Settings (Without deleting the saved backup in the iPhone.) could solve the problem.

:cool:

Yeah, my iCloud is almost full, but I had it turned off. My lack of storage on the phone was the issue. I re synced without my Photo Album. I only synced the Camera Roll and Photo Stream. Plus I deleted some other pictures from my phone. I was able to update the Apps after removing the pictures and freeing up a little room.

I have always updated apps from the phone. Where is the option to only update apps on the computer?

I had some issues with this phone, so I brought it back today. So far so good with this new one. The other one gave a temp warning, wouldn't connect to one of the wifi places I use and I had trouble getting on my own wifi. Took 4 tries to get it to connect. This new one jumped right on.

Thanks for the info :)

iSR5

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Yeah, my iCloud is almost full, but I had it turned off. My lack of storage on the phone was the issue. I re synced without my Photo Album. I only synced the Camera Roll and Photo Stream. Plus I deleted some other pictures from my phone. I was able to update the Apps after removing the pictures and freeing up a little room.

I have always updated apps from the phone. Where is the option to only update apps on the computer?

I had some issues with this phone, so I brought it back today. So far so good with this new one. The other one gave a temp warning, wouldn't connect to one of the wifi places I use and I had trouble getting on my own wifi. Took 4 tries to get it to connect. This new one jumped right on.

Thanks for the info :)

Well, I hope you won't have any troubles with the new one.
However, I just want to answer your questions just to give some more info..

In your case, the best thing to do is to manage your files in your iphone.
Then go to iCloud.com and sign in to your account, then open Photo Stream.
Now just hit the reset button, this will remove all pictures in your iCloud backup.

Now after you're done from managing your files on both (iCloud + iPhone).
Just login to your iCloud using your iPhone and create a new backup.

So this way you don't have to delete to free up some space each time you use the backup.

(Note: If you have a 32GB storage or less, Then you should use less songs, photos, apps OR buy a new iPhone with 64GB storage.)

Advice: If you're listening to music using your iPhone more than using apps, then try to delete unwanted apps to free up some space.

Any way, if you want to update the apps from the computer, you should go to the iTunes then click on Apps.. look at the right bottom of the apps window, you'll see update link. If you have any new apps update, it'll appear with it.
just click on it, and the new updates will appear. (you can download them all or individually).

Good luck mate ;)

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Well, I hope you won't have any troubles with the new one.
However, I just want to answer your questions just to give some more info..

In your case, the best thing to do is to manage your files in your iphone.
Then go to iCloud.com and sign in to your account, then open Photo Stream.
Now just hit the reset button, this will remove all pictures in your iCloud backup.

Now after you're done from managing your files on both (iCloud + iPhone).
Just login to your iCloud using your iPhone and create a new backup.

So this way you don't have to delete to free up some space each time you use the backup.

(Note: If you have a 32GB storage or less, Then you should use less songs, photos, apps OR buy a new iPhone with 64GB storage.)

Advice: If you're listening to music using your iPhone more than using apps, then try to delete unwanted apps to free up some space.

Any way, if you want to update the apps from the computer, you should go to the iTunes then click on Apps.. look at the right bottom of the apps window, you'll see update link. If you have any new apps update, it'll appear with it.
just click on it, and the new updates will appear. (you can download them all or individually).

Good luck mate ;)

I have the 16GB iPhone. I probably use the music the least, but I want to be able to select what pictures are on my camera roll whether I put them on the phone from my computer or remove them from the phone by deleting them. Someone mentioned to create a folder in iPhoto for this. So only one folder syncs I guess.

When I log into iCloud, I don't see an option for Photo Stream. I get 5 icons. Mail, Contacts, Calendar, Find My iPhone and iWork. I currently have my iCloud Backup set to OFF on my iPhone. I don't see anything for Photo Stream online. I see the option on the phone, but only to turn it on/off. I have been syncing with my Macbook rather then iCloud because of storage. I have 1.7 GB available in iCloud, but I don't rely on it solely. I like the fact that pictures go to my iPad too, but that's about the only thing. Really, the only thing I care that it backs up is my contacts. I don't think I really use any of the other features.

Does the 'Find my iPhone' feature need to be turned on in iCloud to work? And do I need iCloud turned on as well? I have the Find iPhone app.

I didn't see an option in iTunes to update the apps. I have an option to check off 'Sync Apps' on the top and directly below, another option to check off to 'Automatically sync new apps'.

Thanks again!

iSR5

macrumors member
May 10, 2012
Usually, I backup only my contacts and notes using iCloud.
The apps, photos, and other data I use iTunes to restore them.

This way i can manage my iDevices, and also let my contacts and notes in a place i can reach any where.

You can create a new folder on your computer, and go to iTunes, then go to your iPhone photos tab, now just change the sync option to the new folder that you created. (This way you can just drag photos that you want into that folder and sync)

However, if you want to find the Photo Stream option in your iCloud.
Open iCloud.com, and login, then, on the right top of the page you'll see your account name, just click on it, then a new screen will appear.
On account screen, click on Advanced. Now you'll see Reset Photo Stream.

The Find My iPhone option, won't be useful unless the Location Service in your iDevice is on. If you want to use it, just turn on your Location service, and then go to iCloud and open Find my iPhone.

Also I want to mentioned another way to manage your backups (if you're using iTunes backups).

You can use JuicePhone to create a custom backup and also manage your backup using your Macbook.

The idea that I suggest is just to manage your backup whether you managed it using your Macbook or iPhone both of them will do the job.
However, after you managed your backup you can replace it with the old backup on iCloud, so you'll have the same backup on your iPhone & iPad..

OR if you're welling to pay extra $$, you can buy a bigger space in your iCloud, this will help also ;) .

I hope that will be helpful ;)

trlyka

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 26, 2011
Usually, I backup only my contacts and notes using iCloud.
The apps, photos, and other data I use iTunes to restore them.

This way i can manage my iDevices, and also let my contacts and notes in a place i can reach any where.

You can create a new folder on your computer, and go to iTunes, then go to your iPhone photos tab, now just change the sync option to the new folder that you created. (This way you can just drag photos that you want into that folder and sync)

However, if you want to find the Photo Stream option in your iCloud.
Open iCloud.com, and login, then, on the right top of the page you'll see your account name, just click on it, then a new screen will appear.
On account screen, click on Advanced. Now you'll see Reset Photo Stream.

The Find My iPhone option, won't be useful unless the Location Service in your iDevice is on. If you want to use it, just turn on your Location service, and then go to iCloud and open Find my iPhone.

Also I want to mentioned another way to manage your backups (if you're using iTunes backups).

You can use JuicePhone to create a custom backup and also manage your backup using your Macbook.

The idea that I suggest is just to manage your backup whether you managed it using your Macbook or iPhone both of them will do the job.
However, after you managed your backup you can replace it with the old backup on iCloud, so you'll have the same backup on your iPhone & iPad..

OR if you're welling to pay extra $$, you can buy a bigger space in your iCloud, this will help also ;) .

I hope that will be helpful ;)

I will try what you suggested. I think my phone performs better with less storage on it anyway. In the beginning, I kept everything on there. Now, as time goes by, I can tell what's important and what can go. Plus, I learn more about backup all the time. That was the scary part and I think it still confuses people now. Actually, I know it does because I still don't fully get it all. lol

All your info has been helpful, thanks :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.