Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
...and you thought you were an Apple fanboy!!!

A tattoo dude has surgically implanted magnets in his wrist to create a strapless wrist-mount for his iPod Nano.

iWatch.jpg

Here's the YouTube video. (Warning: Minor surgery!)

Personally, if I was going to this much trouble, I would have sub-dermally implanted the magnets for an invisible attachment point.

Also, there seems to be some controversy over the effect of magnets on iPods, though I'm skeptical with solid state models like the Nano.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta

A tattoo dude has surgically implanted magnets in his wrist to create a strapless wrist-mount for his iPod Nano....

Personally, if I was going to this much trouble, I would have sub-dermally implanted the magnets for an invisible attachment point...

Especially since we are almost due for an updated model. In just a few months he will likely be sporting an outdated wrist.:eek:

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2010
Especially since we are almost due for an updated model. In just a few months he will likely be sporting an outdated wrist.:eek:

if the design stays the same he will just have to buy the new one, if not.... :eek:

bobob

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jan 11, 2008
if the design stays the same he will just have to buy the new one, if not.... :eek:

I get the impression that this particular gentleman wouldn't be adverse to the idea of punching a few more holes in his body.

(Of course, he could also carry his keys and spare change there instead.)

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Misleading title

Should be: dude surgically attaches 4 magnets to wrist

Wonder if the magnets metal is enough for it to sound at airport security...

Starfighter

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2011
Sweden
This is actually a pretty common body modification called a transdermal implant. Nice touch with the magnets, they've tried before with magnets under the skin to be able to feel magnetic fields and what not but it's problematic - with the magnets peeking out through the skin it should be much less (none) skin damage.

jackc

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2003
Would have been cooler to put the whole Nano under the skin then try to read the screen

Artep

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012
Givin a few years

We may all have to make a similar decision. Do we want this year's implantable memory chip or should we wait for the next year's model?

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK

A tattoo dude has surgically implanted magnets in his wrist to create a strapless wrist-mount for his iPod Nano.

Here's the YouTube video. (Warning: Minor surgery!)

Personally, if I was going to this much trouble, I would have sub-dermally implanted the magnets for an invisible attachment point.

Also, there seems to be some controversy over the effect of magnets on iPods, though I'm skeptical with solid state models like the Nano.

I actually quite like that. You could build up a collection of watches without straps and choose which one to wear on a morning.

yinz

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
So this is what the iPod forum talks about. I should come here more often. Everyone else is just talking about retina display.. How boring.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.