Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
At home or anywhere else really I roll with it naked. I only put a case on it when I go to work as I am moving stuff all around at work and lifting heavy crap all the time.

Ray-

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
I never really got the the port and headphone jack plugs...like what are they suppose to accomplish?

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
I use a BookBook when I'm out and about, but at home or the office, it's naked. Now if I know I'm going somewhere that a naked iPhone is an accident waiting to happen, it goes into a Griffin Survivor case. Case and point (pun fully intended), I was at Busch Gardens yesterday and got caught in the rain and dropped my phone once. Phone stayed dry even though I was not, and the drop didn't do a darn thing to the phone or the case.

In short, a case is needed depending on the situation unless you want to roll the dice.

mastsethi

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 16, 2012
If safety of the phone is that vital, perhaps Motorola Defy would have been a better option.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2012

Attachments

• ********.jpg
    ********.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 43

motorazr

macrumors 6502
Well, I finally broke the back...

First off, let me say that I really have avoided cases only because the phone feels so nice without one, and have never felt a case (though I've seen and felt many) which really do the feeling of the naked iPhone justice. So, at my own risk, I go case-less with the exception of a gel skin cover (aka a sticker) on the back that says "Aperture Science".

That said, it's been about 1.5 years that I've had my iPhone 4, and it's suffered countless horrible drops from many different heights, including going flying out of my hands on the first day I owned it, onto the asphalt of my school's parking lot. Now, all this time later and countless little nicks on the metal outside of the phone (none of which are sharp, but look like scratches on the metal), I finally had "that one" drop where I could hear the back hit perfectly flat on a very flat surface, which lead to its shattering demise behind a sticker which now holds it all in place and projects the illusion that it is not damaged. It's since been dropped quite a few times again.

To conclude: do you need a case? Not really, especially if you're not the most drop-prone person in the world like myself. Should you have a case? Sure, if you don't plan on upgrading your iPhone anytime soon (aka. in the next couple years). I do actually know a friend who had his iPhone's back break from inside of a case due to a similar blow like the one that got mine; a nearly perfectly flat blow, and he was able to experience that uniquely horrific sound.

notah

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
I still like it with a case, so I can toss it around without worrying about scratches.

caniac23

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2008
While I wouldn't consider myself "clumsy", things happen. Someone bumps into you while you're sitting down texting, family dog jumps up on you while you're on the phone or doing something on the phone ... (Yes, both instances have happened to me before, just not with my iPhone)

Also, I have young kids, who know that the object dad is holding "looks very cool, shows pictures, plays videos and music, and lets me talk to grandma". So, I make sure I keep a case on mine so if little swipers swipe it, I can breathe a little easier knowing it has something "protecting" it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
For those who own an iPad as well, do you go caseless with your iPad?
Nope. Also a subjective matter. Do what works for you. Take whatever precautions you think are worthwhile and that you're willing to deal with.

dietcokemac

macrumors member
Sep 4, 2009
Bama
I love the look and feel of the iPhone naked but do enjoy a bit of customizing. I have changes the back glass before a few times to different materials (even wood). Lately though I have found it cheaper and easier to just use vinyl skins to customize the phone so it stays nice and slim but still gives it a customized look.

Arnezie

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Do you enjoy using your iphone with a cracked screen?

It's called be careful with your things and instead of 13 different cases I choose to pay $99 for AppleCare + so if I do drop it $50 and I'm back good as new. And I bet most people that rock cases have spent that on a bunch of cases.

djransom

macrumors 601
May 14, 2008
Chi-Town
It's called be careful with your things and instead of 13 different cases I choose to pay $99 for AppleCare + so if I do drop it $50 and I'm back good as new. And I bet most people that rock cases have spent that on a bunch of cases.

Guilty of wasting money on cases, but never again. My wife decided to rock hers without a case and I followed suit. Then I realized that naked is cool, but better safe than sorry in my case. Same for my iPad.

Update: I'm back naked again after watching my wife do it and this is not that bad. I do the same with my iPad and if I do take my iPad out I have a sleeve for it.

Last edited:

Ray-

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2012
I have a case on my iPhone and iPad...in both 'cases' (forgive the lame pun...), I find the protection actually gives peace of mind. Like you dont have to worry about dropping it as much or being a little rougher with the phone.

/shamelessselfadvertisement
And on top of that, the designs that our artists do just look so good and so awesome!
/end shamelessselfadvertisement :D

With the iPad it's much the same. But the case that I'm using right now (a prototype that we're working on) has a built in smartcover, so I need the case to use it as a stand and everything, which I really can't imagine using without!

Last edited:

jacob-07

macrumors regular
May 14, 2011
I've dropped my iPhone more than a few times, without a doubt if I didn't have a case on it there would've been cracks all over it.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
I've dropped my iPhone more than a few times, without a doubt if I didn't have a case on it there would've been cracks all over it.

My hands don't seem to be compatible with the glossy casing on the iPhone. It's slippery as hell in my hands and when I first got it, I accidentally "threw" the phone a few times when it slid out of my hands... thankfully over carpet. I've still dropped it quite a few times since getting a case, but nothing ridiculous like before.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I see enough people using iPhone 4's with shattered screens that I've definitely been on the "use a case" team.

Though I've been going naked at work lately, especially since my phone is now older and not worth quite as much... so if I do happen to drop it and it gets destroyed, I won't cry quite as much as in the first few weeks I owned it.

But I still case it when I go out on weekends, etc. because that's when my phone sees the most abuse.

Pro-pacCase

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
New York
yea I def need one, I recently dropped my phone in subway station & it roll down the stairs, hit the platform then got hit by an incoming cart...broke the subway pilot window and hit the subway engineer and caused a......LOL

Went down the stairs but my phone was saved, so I'm glad I had a case on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.