Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
To the MR Mods, I am not advertising or trying to sell here on the forums, but merely ask those who have done this for advice.

How the hell do I do this? Here is my plan:

- Buy unlimited Verizon Data plan off eBay.

-Sell my AT&T iPhone 4S. This part is easily.

-Sell my AT&T contract with grandfathered Unlimited Data plan for iPhone. How the hell do I do this? This is where I'm stuck. Do they need my sim card? Any advice is appreciated.

Also, does anyone have any experience in buying the unlimited Data from eBay?

Thanks

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Yes. That's what appears to be happening. People are allowing others to take over there contract (or transfer) that has unlimited data grandfathered in.

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
It's not useless. Unlimited data is unlimited data. If I didn't drop a billion calls a month I would keep them. But here in Hawaii, Verizon is the best for call clarity and stability.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you go into an ATT store with the person you are trying to transfer to, they MAY* do it for you. If you do the transfer online, the person will be forced into picking a data plan (unlimited not being among those choices).

*I say may because they aren't REQUIRED to do this, but I do personally know two people, my friend and my fiance's sister, that exactly this.

Walter Bell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 25, 2010
Thanks! Guess I'll just pay the ETF. I Have a friend that is going to 'give' me his unlimited Verizon account as he barely uses cellular data.

Thanks for the info!

j1787

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2011
Have you done anything yet? I have an unlimited VERIZON account with an IPHONE 4S...I am looking to swap? I would be interested if we can keep the unlimited data on your end. I have read mixed forums on ATT allowing people to keep the unlimited data, its worth a shot?

lsxrx7

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
Have you done anything yet? I have an unlimited VERIZON account with an IPHONE 4S...I am looking to swap? I would be interested if we can keep the unlimited data on your end. I have read mixed forums on ATT allowing people to keep the unlimited data, its worth a shot?

I m interested in trading. Let me know

edit : if u want to contact me pls send me a PM on xda under the same user name

Last edited:

Eternal 28

macrumors 6502
Apr 22, 2008
You can transfer billing responsibility on unlimited data plans in stores only, that's what I did when I took over billing responsibility from my father. Just call AT&T and tell then you authorize this person to take over the line and they will notate the account. Don't do it online though you will lose the unlimited data plan.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
I already tried giving away my extra unlimited line with AT&T and nobody wanted it, so I canceled it. It even had unlimited international data which is quite nice.

That said, with the throttling that's done these days, these lines are less and less appealing.

hexonxonx

macrumors 601
Jul 4, 2007
Denver Colorado
I already tried giving away my extra unlimited line with AT&T and nobody wanted it, so I canceled it. It even had unlimited international data which is quite nice.

That said, with the throttling that's done these days, these lines are less and less appealing.

I had to do the same thing. Had two lines with unlimited, didn't want a dime for them and just wanted someone to take over the lines. Not one person was interested. Each had about six months left on the contract.

With people who can't even give them away for free, I doubt anyone would be willing to pay.

HKilada

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2012
Selling Att unlimited 4G LTE data plan

I'm in a bad financial situation, I just hours cut in my job, I need to terminate my contract with ATT but I can't afford the early termination fees (ETF). One of my lines has the unlimited data plan. I need to sell this unlimited plan. Email me if u r interested.

hkilada@gmail.com

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Of course. No one is going to buy an unlimited plan that's not really unlimited. Better off just getting one of the newer plans.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Of course. No one is going to buy an unlimited plan that's not really unlimited. Better off just getting one of the newer plans.

If you've got an LTE device, the throttling on AT&T starts at 5GB now on the grandfathered unlimited $30 plan. If you buy a new tiered plan, 5GB is $50--so it's clearly still worth it.

Another smaller benefit is that there is no chance of data overage charges, even though you're throttled.

loud0g40oz

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2012
My contract is coming to a close at the end of August, and because I've moved, I get NO 3g at all, and very little edge. So I'm forced to switch carriers. If anyone's interested, I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 32gb black, with the unlimited data plan.

I'm interested but Don't see a PM button to contact you. Can email me at steve123488 at yahoo

ANTAWNM26

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I know this is a old thread but I have a unlimited data plan on Verizon as well and would like to swap with an ATT unlimited data line...If anyone interested shoot me a pm, Im also on XDA under the same name.....I have an upgrade which i could swap and get the phone you want thats if you have an upgrade available on your end, if not then i will use the upgrade up and transfer it to the unlimited line and then do the swap, but sell the phone to get the phone i want on ATT

garya73

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2013
Delaware, USA
I know this is a old thread but I have a unlimited data plan on Verizon as well and would like to swap with an ATT unlimited data line...If anyone interested shoot me a pm, Im also on XDA under the same name.....I have an upgrade which i could swap and get the phone you want thats if you have an upgrade available on your end, if not then i will use the upgrade up and transfer it to the unlimited line and then do the swap, but sell the phone to get the phone i want on ATT

Tip: If you upgrade, you lose the unlimited. They push you towards a 6GB "Mega" plan. I got the email a few months ago.

I just unlocked my new T-Mobile Samsung G4 that I won, looking to get it on AT&T unlimited, but the prices on Ebay are just insane. I am currently on Verizon unlimited, wish I could use the phone on there, but no luck.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.