Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Any input on this? I'm assuming that since this is actually being sold on the MacVidCards ebay store it will work...

Absolutely, will work fine to run 4 displays.

Please note that there are 2 versions of 570, one with Dual DVI and one with DVI and Displayport. If you have Apple LED displays, you obviously want the Displayport one.

The 2.5 GB version only comes in Displayport right now, but you can use DP to DVI to run up to a 24" DVI display from the DP.

AKDigital

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Chicago, IL
Thanks. I thought this would work, just wanted to make sure. I'm running Dell U2711s which have both Dual Link DVI and displayport inputs. I should be able to connect right up with no adapters. I was using two dual link DVI to MDP adapters before with my stock 5770.

Would you recommend holding on to my stock 5770? I plan on fully switching to gtx570 + gt120. Could you foresee an update or a similar situation where I would need to put my stock card back in?

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Even if Apple pulls another fast one and has 10.7.5 kill the GTX5xx support, I think we have seen that Nvidia will just very quickly release a fix again. (Kudos to Nvidia, someone there seems to give a dxxn)

And if Nvidia is busy for a few days at the time, I can do patches to unbreak what Apple breaks.

The nice thing about GT120 is that it is an Apple specific product, i.e. it will ALWAYS have support. So even if Apple releases 10.7.5 and it kills GTX5xx cards again, and Nvidia is getting their house tented and I am at the dentist, a GT120 will continue working as always. The EFI GTX5xx cards will continue to output to display, just with no 3D.

I don't see any reason to keep a 5770. Sell it while it is still worth some $$$.

AKDigital

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
Chicago, IL
Awesome, keep up the great work! I'll post an update when I get my GTX570 + GT120 package that I just bought from the MacVidCards ebay store. Thanks.

MallardRider

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
near Los Angeles
Nvidia will likely have a new update in next few days.

I will upload a fixed kext here in a little while until they do.

It may even be possible to run the Nvidia 10.7.3 driver ON TOP of 10.7.4, it worked with the betas.

Nvidia should be commended that they updated their drivers a day after 10.7.4 was posted. Now I got the acceleration back.

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
I'm probably going to wait it out and see if the new macro drops with any faster cards than a Nvidia 570, if not i'll buy one of these.

:D

undir

macrumors newbie
Aug 23, 2010
A'dam
While Nvidia's newest drivers work with 10.7.4, OpenCL does not (confirmed it with Luxmark), which seems to have been broken again.

Does anyone know if Netkas nvidia kext modification (patching GeForceGLDriver and libclh.dylib) for 10.7.3 would work on 10.7.4 too ?

Cheers! :)

braindeadfool

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Not correct in OSX.

Apple, being bad sports, don't have OpenCl turned on for Fermi cards. They flip a couple bytes to turn it off and help keep the 5870 looking good. If you can't win a fair race, CHEAT !!!

But by going here:

http://www.mediafire.com/?p6w1xeh9et3m8e5

You can download the "fixed" driver kext.

And then the mid-range 570 is equal to the "top'o'the'line" 5870. And it can run CUDA which is Greek to the 5870. But OpenCl looks to be about dead even. Pretty sure a GTX580 would seal the deal on the 5870.

Yeap, you're right. The 580 does just fine...

rklm

macrumors newbie
May 8, 2012
While Nvidia's newest drivers work with 10.7.4, OpenCL does not (confirmed it with Luxmark), which seems to have been broken again.

Does anyone know if Netkas nvidia kext modification (patching GeForceGLDriver and libclh.dylib) for 10.7.3 would work on 10.7.4 too ?

Cheers! :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm pretty new to this stuff. I just bought a gtx570 for a mac pro, unfortunately already updated to 10.7.4. What do I have to do besides installing the latest NVIDIA driver to get cuda + opencl support? Just install this…
… "fixed" driver kext?

bjdthomas

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
Does anyone know where you can buy the pcie cables in Los Angeles? Tryed frys and Mac mall and neither one of them carry the dual male 6pin pcie cables that will connect to the Mac. Installing a gtx580 on a 2007 Mac pro. Trying to find a way to get power to this thing this weekend. Read in other threads where you can order the cables online, but was hoping someone in LA would know where to get it local. Thanks in advance for the help.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I'm pretty new to this stuff. I just bought a gtx570 for a mac pro, unfortunately already updated to 10.7.4. What do I have to do besides installing the latest NVIDIA driver to get cuda + opencl support? Just install this…
… "fixed" driver kext?

The OpenCl fix that is current I just posted in the other thread on the drivers.

CUDA you just need to install CUDA drivers.

phiphika

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
power

What if I'm removing the existing card and only using the GTX570? Also, will any 6-pin work, I see some less expensive cables on Amazon? Thanks.

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Also, why do I need two? Thanks.

Because the card has 2 6-pin power connectors, both of which need to be plugged in for the card to operate:

http://www.dvhardware.net/article46907.html

The Mac Pro has a special low-profile connector on one end (the one that plugs into the motherboard), so the cable has to be compatible with the Mac Pro. Can you link the ones from Amazon? If they don't specifically mention the Mac Pro they might not work.

If you already have one cable, then obviously you just need to buy one more.

phiphika

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Because the card has 2 6-pin power connectors, both of which need to be plugged in for the card to operate:

http://www.dvhardware.net/article46907.html

The Mac Pro has a special low-profile connector on one end (the one that plugs into the motherboard), so the cable has to be compatible with the Mac Pro. Can you link the ones from Amazon? If they don't specifically mention the Mac Pro they might not work.

If you already have one cable, then obviously you just need to buy one more.

Thanks again for the help. This is the cable I was looking at...http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004VR7UJM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012

I think the one you want is this:

http://www.amazon.com/PCIe-Power-Ca...1654/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337024410&sr=8-1

Since it says:

* Provide prower from internal logic board mini 6 Pin to PCI Express Vdieo Card standard 6 pin
* Works with any PCI Express-based MAC 2.0/2.3 Ghz Dual-Core or 2.5Ghz Quad-Core G5 and all Intel Mac Pro Tower machines

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
Right, it says "all Intel Mac Pro Tower machines" so it should work fine. The mini plug on the motherboard has been the same since the PowerPC days.

phiphika

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
Right, it says "all Intel Mac Pro Tower machines" so it should work fine. The mini plug on the motherboard has been the same since the PowerPC days.

Great, just pulled the trigger on 2 power cables and the card. Thanks again. Now i can play Diablo 3!

Asgorath

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2012
What brand are you using? Does it matter if its Asus, EVGA, MSI, etc?

Honestly, brand shouldn't make a difference here. I'm using an EVGA board, simply because that's what my local computer store had at the time. It's not like the EVGA boards will work but the Asus ones will not.

ReallyRedCobra

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
My evga 570 came with 6pin to molex connectors so you can just use the power from the second optical slot bay if you want.

MacVidCards

Suspended
Original poster
Nov 17, 2008
Hollywood, CA
My evga 570 came with 6pin to molex connectors so you can just use the power from the second optical slot bay if you want.

Keep in mind that later Mac Pros used SATA ODD so this won't work. Also, you may want to flip an ODD over and see how many watts of 12V it uses. Typically under 10. A GPU expects 75Watts on that connector.

When talking about a $300+ GPU in a $700+ computer, why is dropping $20 for a pair of the proper cables such a stretch?

Crazyconn, S-Video and other vendors sell these things for $7/each. This isn't the place to cheap out. Aside from which, using the real cables looks a lot less "ghetto".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.