Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Opspin

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 25, 2011
iMac2012.jpg

So here's the new iMac, much like the iPad two, the new iMac is much thinner, getting rid of the optical drive, and, you'll no doubt note, also getting rid of that unseemly chin, now covering the front with one big beautiful piece of glass.

Also, not only will the Macbook get a retina display, but the iMac will in fact get one of the following, 3840×2160 (Quad Full High Definition) which would make sense in that HD movies would just use double the pixels, or 3840×2400 which would make sense because they surely now must be removing the chin and using the Thunderbold display as a guidance but taking the chin and use it to give us some more screen real estate for a 30" iMac.

Last edited by a moderator:

lifeguard90

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2010
Chicago
So here's the new iMac, much like the iPad two, the new iMac is much thinner, getting rid of the optical drive, and, you'll no doubt note, also getting rid of that unseemly chin, now covering the front with one big beautiful piece of glass.

Also, not only will the Macbook get a retina display, but the iMac will in fact get one of the following, 3840×2160 (Quad Full High Definition) which would make sense in that HD movies would just use double the pixels, or 3840×2400 which would make sense because they surely now must be removing the chin and using the Thunderbold display as a guidance but taking the chin and use it to give us some more screen real estate for a 30" iMac.

Nice design!

cocky jeremy

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Wouldn't mind it a bit. But i'd prefer a 30 or 32 inch screen over "retina", personally.

sebbyRIOT

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2012
I don't understand this obsession with a thinner iMac.

I, personally, will be extremely angry if Apple remove the optical drive to make the iMac a little thinner. The iMac is a DESKTOP COMPUTER. Sure, less people are using CDs but they are in no means deprecated, not for another few years at least. I want an optical drive and I do not want unnecessary clutter i.e. an external optical drive on my desk.

If you want thinner, get a MacBook.

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
If you want to use outdated technology, buy a PC.

Hell, I believe you can still get PCs with floppy disk drives. Want Apple to put that back into iMac too?

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
I agree, at the start of this whole "thing-thin-thin-frenzy" it was because "easier with mobile devices", weighs less, takes less space, is easier to put in a bag, etc. etc. - Who carries around an iMac in their purse? The appearence should not superceed the core functionalities.

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Honestly, with the way Apple is pushing to remove the superdrive from their portables, it would make sense for the iMac to follow suit. Apple really wants their external superdrive to be that extra accessory, and removing it from the iMac would make sense from a business standpoint.

Truth be told, I've only used the superdrive in my MacBook Pro twice..once to import a Rage Against the Machine album, and once to watch Groundhog Day. I could probably do without it.

Back on topic though, great concept in the original post. I would definitely invest in an iMac with that resolution.

driftless

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2011
Chicago-area
Yeah, it's an iPad on an iMac stand. Still, I like the look. I am one of those who can live with an External SuperDrive tucked into my cable, junk drawer.

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
You never know this could be what the new iMac will look like. I doubt it but you never know.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
How would the heat be in comparison if it were to look like that? Worse/Better?

Edit: Where would the speakers go?

Nandifix

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
How would the heat be in comparison if it were to look like that? Worse/Better?

Edit: Where would the speakers go?

True the heat would probably be worse due to the lack of cooling. The speakers would also sound worse as they would have to be thinner. This design is not what the actual iMac will look like as I don't think apple have the technology available yet.

InuNacho

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2008
In that one place
The iMac should be an inch fatter to get better cooling and parts.

I don't think anybody would argue with a fatter iMac if you were able to get an actual graphics card (obviously non upgradeable) instead of a wimpy mobile one and another HD in there.

BlazednSleepy

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2012
If it doesn't effect the power of the computer itself I'm fine with it. But with all the stuff packed in to the iMac that's already out, it still blows my mind how thin the thing is. Everyone always asks where my computer is when they see my 2007 iMac.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
That is true, but deprecated functionalities should not supercede appearance.

It's not deprecated at all. Optical drives on desktops have a use. For example I use my iMac as my music store. Guess what that means? Oh yeah I have to rip my cd collection onto it.

Mister Bumbo

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2012
If it doesn't effect the power of the computer itself I'm fine with it. But with all the stuff packed in to the iMac that's already out, it still blows my mind how thin the thing is. Everyone always asks where my computer is when they see my 2007 iMac.

Hehe, nice to get that kind of reaction. Sometimes it strikes me that people actually have big boxes with fans buzzing and loads of cables standing around. Then I utter a mental sigh of relief!

I feel as years and years ago, the thinness issued on desktop computers, iMacs and the first mini was Apple challenging themselves and the market to some degree, but it's evolved to a selling point, which could be both good and bad.

----------

It's not deprecated at all. Optical drives on desktops have a use. For example I use my iMac as my music store. Guess what that means? Oh yeah I have to rip my cd collection onto it.

Good example. Also - The quality of the sound on a CD is vastly superior to any downloaded Mp3, worth to think about.

Roller

macrumors 68030
Jun 25, 2003
The iMac should be an inch fatter to get better cooling and parts.

I don't think anybody would argue with a fatter iMac if you were able to get an actual graphics card (obviously non upgradeable) instead of a wimpy mobile one and another HD in there.

Anyone remember the Fat Mac? This would be the Fat iMac... :)

Seriously, as someone who sits in front of his computer far more often than to the side of it, thickness isn't important to me as much as room for hardware.

Occamsrazr

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2012
Seriously, as someone who sits in front of his computer far more often than to the side of it, thickness isn't important to me as much as room for hardware.

Some of us actually use our computers in the family room, instead of spending all our time in a dark basement staring into the screen all night long.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.