Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
ProCamera is better. It has all the photography features of Camera+, and also has great video capabilities.

NightCap is better. It has all the settings except zoom, plus it has true long exposure for 15× brighter low-light images.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
Ditto on the ProCamera. If you're looking at either Camera+ OR Filmic Pro, get ProCamera instead. The video aspect I like about ProCamera is that it allows lower resolution videos (720p is plenty for me at a huge memory savings).

And, ditto on NightCap, too. It has several huge features no one else has. And, it's probably the most actively developed right now.

Regards,
Tom

Davydd

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2008
Minnesota
Check out Camera Awesome by the SmugMug.com people. It has the separate exposure and focus plus the ability to lock them so you can move the camera after locking either one. Like Camera+'s Clarity, Camera Awesome has Awesomize to improve your photo.

Then there is a new app, 645 Pro that lets you select your photo size from 6:6 to 6:19 and your film type. Also, it shoots in a TIFF format option they call RAW.

The nice thing about the iPhone is it is super rich in camera options and post processing editing. You can pick based on what you plan to shoot or what you hope to achieve. I only wish iOS would give you the option to select your default camera that comes up when turning on your iPhone.

migdaddy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 27, 2012
Check out Camera Awesome by the SmugMug.com people. It has the separate exposure and focus plus the ability to lock them so you can move the camera after locking either one. Like Camera+'s Clarity, Camera Awesome has Awesomize to improve your photo.

Then there is a new app, 645 Pro that lets you select your photo size from 6:6 to 6:19 and your film type. Also, it shoots in a TIFF format option they call RAW.

The nice thing about the iPhone is it is super rich in camera options and post processing editing. You can pick based on what you plan to shoot or what you hope to achieve. I only wish iOS would give you the option to select your default camera that comes up when turning on your iPhone.

So with pro camera, you can lock in on someones face, and as they walk by you can take a picture and it will be clear? That would have helped me last night at the UFC fights!

Ashlyn

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
San Francisco
Among all these choices, ProCamera is no doubt the best.

When you talk about one feature, there might be some apps better than others. But ProCamera got a whole set for a pro's needs. The depth of the technology is much bigger than any other apps.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm personally tired of all the similarly named camera apps.

ProCamera is called Pro Camera at times, and then there is the completely different app, Camera Pro.

Then we have...

Camera+
Camera-
Camera..
Camera!!
Camera∞
Camera Plus
Camera Plus Pro

Oh and my personal favorite (not really), "Camera" (yep, an app store app with the same name as the built-in Camera app).

Michael

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
What exactly is the advantage of using Camera+?

Compared to ProCamera? Nothing, ProCamera is better.

Compared to NightCap? Uh, zoom and editing I guess, but for actually taking pictures NightCap is way better.

Compared to the stock Camera app? Locking focus, exposure, and white balance, mostly. But again, ProCamera and NightCap do that too, and have better complementary features.

TJ61

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2011
And what have we learned from this thread?

We still have no idea which app is actually better other than user opinion.

Really? You didn't at least learn that NightCap is the only camera app that gives you exposure times up to 1s?

Regards,
Tom

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
And what have we learned from this thread?

We still have no idea which app is actually better other than user opinion.

Well on a positive note at least we have choices, and there is very good access to the iPhone's camera's functions for third party developers. We are not stuck with the standard Camera app. :)

(I wish SMS was similar: BiteSMS in the app store anyone?)

Michael

Qaanol

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Well on a positive note at least we have choices
Yep.

and there is very good access to the iPhone's camera's functions for third party developers.
Actually, this is not really true. The optical sensor in the 4S is very good, but Apple has made it impossible for developers to use all its features. There are no public APIs for direct control over the camera settings. If Apple were to publish those APIs, then we would have a lot more options with a lot better features.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Yep.

Actually, this is not really true. The optical sensor in the 4S is very good, but Apple has made it impossible for developers to use all its features. There are no public APIs for direct control over the camera settings. If Apple were to publish those APIs, then we would have a lot more options with a lot better features.

I understand that it is not completely accessible. But it is also clear, as evidenced by the apps mentioned in this thread, that there is a lot that can be done that goes far beyond the stock Camera app.

Moreover, and I know this is not a scientific evaluation, the jailbreak community usually expands on areas where Apple has locked things down a little too tight for some people. Yet even if jailbroken and able to install Cydia apps, there is nothing that beats the app store camera apps. There really aren't too many camera tweaks, at least those that improve on taking photos and videos. If the hardware had untapped potential my thoughts are we would have seen something in a jb app that showed it.

Michael

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
When you have used the camera app PowerCam ,you will lose interests in all camera apps. It keeps No.1 of App Store in China.

I'm sorry, but you sound like you're here shilling that app. You're a brand new user, it reads like (poor) marketing-speak and we don't care what the #1 app is in China.

I have the app and despite all the suspicious recommendations here, I have not lost interest in other apps. I don't even have it on my phone anymore. It was good, but I prefer other apps. And yes, Camera+ is MY go to camera app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.