Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

stretch90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to connect my thunderbolt display to my PC by using a mini displayport to displayport cable, my video card is an ati 6950. However, my cpu won't recognize the monitor so it won't turn on. Does anyone know what I can do about this? Thanks!

laxman101

macrumors regular
May 6, 2011
Hi Everyone,

I'm trying to connect my thunderbolt display to my PC by using a mini displayport to displayport cable, my video card is an ati 6950. However, my cpu won't recognize the monitor so it won't turn on. Does anyone know what I can do about this? Thanks!

That video card won't support it. No video card currently supports it. Only one motherboard (non-apple) supports it.

flynz4

macrumors 68040
Aug 9, 2009
Portland, OR
The ATD only supports TB video, not mDP. It doesn't even support any Macs with mDP.

OTOH... it is a great monitor for my MBA. It is like having a full docking station.

/Jim

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
The only way you can use the Thunderbolt display with your PC is to buy the MSI Z77A-GD80 Thunderbolt motherboard.

stretch90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
The only way you can use the Thunderbolt display with your PC is to buy the MSI Z77A-GD80 Thunderbolt motherboard.

So that would be using the on-board video card I guess?

What about the cinema display, would that work with what I have?

stretch90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Yes the cinema display should work just fine.

Thanks! Guess I'm off to the Apple store again today.

btw, do you know if there's any difference between the two displays besides the connection? I know the thunderbolt connection would also improve performance because of it's transfer rate, but is there anything else?

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011

stretch90

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012

Ashok0

macrumors regular
Jul 27, 2010
So that would be using the on-board video card I guess?

What about the cinema display, would that work with what I have?

Actually no, the beauty of TB is that the display WILL use your AMD/nVidia video card, even if it's plugged into the mobo. It's part of Intel's Virtu technology. That being said, I'm not sure if the MSI board is even available yet --- and it might be easier to just get the DisplayPort version if you want to use it with a PC or game consoles.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.