Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I have a budget of $2,000 to $2,500. I need a good system to run Final Cut Pro X.

Would an iMac or Mac Pro be best to fill my needs? Basically a moderate usage of Final Cut. I realize virtually any Mac would do, but I'd like to know what would be a better configuration. THANKS!

AppleNewton

macrumors 68000
Apr 3, 2007
1 Finite Place
a Core i7 Mac would be ideal.
With your usage the new release would not make a huge difference, but apparently Ivy Bridge i7 offers some pretty nice features as far as process rendering goes. and seems to be better at supporting PCIe-3.0 GPUs which not sure if that will make an impact on the iMac line up or not.

But honestly any current i5 or i7 (ideally) Mac would do. I wouldn't really bother with a Mac Pro, specs aren't bad but aren't as up to speed as any of the current Macs are.

Medic278

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2012
New York
I use Final Cut Pro on my dual core i7 13 MBP. I have 8GB of RAM and an intel 520 SSD and I don't ever have a problem using the program. I would say any apple computer can handle it although I would look for an i7 machine. But just for reference it can be ran well on the 13 dual core i7. Any machine you choose I would add in at least 8GB of RAM as its been my experience that FCP likes to use RAM.

goMac

Contributor
Apr 15, 2004
6 or 8 core Mac Pro would be good with a Radeon 5870.

Both the GPU and CPU are way better than what's shipping in the iMacs right now.

dwd3885

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 10, 2004
I've specced out a 3.4 i7 w/ 8gb RAM and 2TB hdd for $2,399. Good?

WRM140

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Michigan, USA
Mandatory SSD

With a budget of $2-2.5K, I would get the lowest-spec 15" MBP (not the 13" - a single fan is NOT enough cooling) for $1359 as a refurb from the Apple store. Drop in an another 4GB of RAM (a MUST), and an SSD. Your choice: 240GB or 480GB.

My budget was $3K. I replaced the stock 750GB HDD on a 2.3GHz 15" MacBookPro with a 480GB SSD (Electra 6G). This makes a huge difference in editing performance, especially tasks like high-speed scrubbing. More CPU/GPU does not make a big difference in editing video; memory bandwidth does. Of course, when it comes rendering time, absolutely more cores and higher clocks matter.

Yesterday, I spun up 17 Quicktime 7 threads to export some .mov as .wmv all at once. That's over a GB of video (from FCPX). This maxed out all 8 cores on the i7, drove both fans to max RPM, and ran the CPU up to 89 deg. C. For over three hours. Apple Store Refurbs are the way to go!

madapple1

macrumors newbie
May 26, 2012
Best MacBook Pro for FCPX

Hi Guys,

Im a new member but wanted to share my experience with my new MBP13" I-7, 2.8,750 HD. I am an avid user of FCPX and thought that the 13" would handle the payload of this program couple with Motion. I very quickly realized that these 2 programs were a bit much for the system to handle. I upgraded the RAM from the stock 4 to 8. Still the system was performing slow.

Having the system for only a few short weeks I took it back into Best Buy and they were fantastic allowing me to upgrade to the 15" base line i-7 quad core. This couple with the 8 mb RAM is running like a dream while both FCPX AND Motion running. Just wanted to share, for those of you trying to figure out which one to get and are running these 2 very intensive programs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.