Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JerseyDoug

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2012
Sounds like the discussions on the photo forums I used to frequent.

Anyway, I use mine naked. (The screen, not me. :eek:) Never used a screen protector on any of my pro slrs and I wouldn't want to degrade the viewing pleasure on my new iPad. I can't imagine any anti-glare screen not degrading the clarity of the retina display.

Just my two cents.

Pismonium

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2006
SoCal
Don't mean to hijack, but my Q may help others as well as myself.

Is there a case that I can put my iPad in and get the Anti-glare effect, but when I don't need that aid I can easily take it out and enjoy the retina?

Thx

A420Turbo

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2010
NY
Don't mean to hijack, but my Q may help others as well as myself.

Is there a case that I can put my iPad in and get the Anti-glare effect, but when I don't need that aid I can easily take it out and enjoy the retina?

Thx

+1000 someone should get on this I would def pay for it ... Truth be told I tried to take a piece of plexi glass the same size as the iPad and tried different methods of making it "anti glare" but my results were not so good. I think to make the anti glare effective it has to be in direct contact with the screen and not just rested on top of the screen.

donnaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2011
Austin TX
PS Anti-Glare screen protector has GREAT quality... But it is very expensive.. If the quality is anything like the screen protector for my iPhone, this anti-glare from PS should last at least a year before it..

I've had one on my iPad 2 for over a year and even with my 2 grandkids using it it looks and feels just like new.

I put the new version on my new iPad. Maybe it's my old eyes but the little bit of loss of clarity doesn't bother me. Not having to twist and turn my iPad to get rid of the glare is well worth it for me. The anti-fingerprint properties are just icing on the cake.

Having used mine with and without an anti-glare protector I can say that I much prefer to have one. That being said, I do think it's important to get a good one. PowerSupport makes a good one.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
+1000 someone should get on this I would def pay for it ... Truth be told I tried to take a piece of plexi glass the same size as the iPad and tried different methods of making it "anti glare" but my results were not so good. I think to make the anti glare effective it has to be in direct contact with the screen and not just rested on top of the screen.

The Otterbox Defender and Griffin Survivor have Anti Glare Shields built in, and you can remove it from the case to use the iPad sans protector.

isaket

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2012
Now i am excited

I am from India, bought the new iPad on launch day here on 27 April,never had an iPad before .I have used an AG screen protector as i have scratched my mbp screen before.
But after applying AG the screen used to look faded and pixelated dont took it seriously as this was my first experience with ipad retina display.
Now I am very happy and planning to remove those ugly AG from my retina display but slightly consious about scratches like on my mbp.
One more problem is that one part of my screen is slightly more warm than the other i think AG SP is the reason.

I just love reading on the retina glad i have never seen an iPad 2 before and started with ipad3 and waited one year just dor retina.

monniewolf

macrumors newbie
Apr 14, 2010
I think Power Support is now Trü Protection

I emailed Power Support to ask about an anti-glare screen protector for iPad 3. I love the one I have on my iPad 1 and it has lasted about 2 years. I'll sacrifice some retina quality to have the protection on the iPad 3 I just bought, especially since I will be using it with a Jot Pro stylus that will absolutely scratch the screen eventually without a protector, at least according to Jot Pro reviews I read (that said, best stylus for handwriting I have ever tried).

Anyway, the customer service rep replied to me with 30 minutes and stated that Power Support no longer sells anti-glare screen protectors for the iPad 2/3/4 and soon will stop selling the glossy/clear protector as well. They referred me to Trü Protection and even gave me a discount code to use (TRU15). Their email signature listed both companies, so I believe Power Support must have teamed up with Trü. The screen protectors appear to be the same static cling as the old PS ones. Also, by purchasing through Trü, 15% of the purchase goes to a charity, which is pretty cool.

Not many reviews out there on the product, which seems odd (maybe because they do not resell through Amazon). They seem to have very responsive customer service so I am going to give it a try and can report back in case anyone checks this thread again. I realize this thread is old, but I just bought a refurbished iPad 3 so I came here looking for advice.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I got a cheap set of ag protectors from Amazon, $5 for 3 or something like that. While the screen isn't quite as nice as when bare, I value the ability to use it in sunlight more.

FWIW, the iVisor protectors can be removed and reapplied repeatedly.

Pinkstiletto66

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
New York City.
Theres a large ongoing discussion about the screen of the Macbook and dizziness, headaches, etc. Its on the apple support website. Some people experienced it in their phones and ipads as well. Im not sure if they figured out the cause but its interesting. Its a bit better for me with the anti glare but not perfect. The feeling I would get is like sitting two inches away from a tv. I think the richness was too much for me, and the fonts. I knew it wasnt my eyes because I was using a netbook with like a 9 inch screen and my eyes were fine. Long story short is youre not alone. If I had to do it over again I wouldnt have the pro. Weird because my first white Macbook didnt cause eye strain, May it rest in pieces..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.