Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
With WWDC a week away, I'm wondering what folks are predicting. These predictions might be based on rumor or your "gut" feeling for what must be coming, infused with a little wishing of course. My friend always had a prize for who got closest in guessing Oscar pics - sorry, no prize, but it would be interesting to see who's close.

My predictions:

PowerMacs: 3.2 GHz Dual G5s (just dual processors, but not dual core)
DDR2 memory
PCIe-x16 graphics

Powerbooks: A low voltage mobile version of the G5 with modest speed (somewhere in the range of 1.2 to 1.6GHz) announcement to ship in July / August - 15" and 17" only. Mobile version keeps processor speed down under most mundane use and extends battery life.
DDR2 memory

All "regular" size iPods go color screen; digital FM tuner available built-in with record to disk feature.

Modest price cut on 30" display

What do others "see" coming?

LG

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Alot of people are saying a 13" widescreen PB, which I sure hope is wrong because that would just look "weird"... :eek:

jackieonasses

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004
the great OKLAHOMA....
A G5 of a same/slower speed as a given G4 will get beat. Trust me. Clock for clock, g4's win. Work on the FSB.....

and to the G5 comment. I doubt they will even get to 3.0 ghz. I want them to though.

kyle

broken_keyboard

macrumors 65816
Apr 19, 2004
Secret Moon base
I think there will be a new mouse and keyboard. Apart from that I have no idea...

Would like to see new model PowerMac, but if there is one it will probably be in very limited quantity due to CPU supply.

runninmac

macrumors 65816
Jan 20, 2005
Rockford MI
Um i guessing iPod updates and iBook eventhough its a "pro" conference. I dont know what else to expect but im excited. Does steve do his key note on the 6th? if so that will be a great day because of the new coldplay album coming out that day.

Pismo

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2002
NH
runninmac said:
Um i guessing iPod updates and iBook eventhough its a "pro" conference. I dont know what else to expect but im excited. Does steve do his key note on the 6th? if so that will be a great day because of the new coldplay album coming out that day.

Yes, Steve's keynote will be on the 6th at 1:00 PM Eastern time. I think we might see new iBooks and iPods also. WWDC isn't really a "Pro" conference though. It's just a conference for developers to learn what's going on in the world of Mac OS X. It also highlights hardware stuff as well.

joecool85

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2005
Maine
They better not get rid of the 12" PB...

Anyway, here are some of my predictions

Updated mac mini, probably a 1.5ghz and a 1.67ghz model.

Update PB - probably not G5, but regardless a speed boost to around 2.0ghz

And lastly, the most unlikely one, but still could happen, a 3.0+ ghz PM.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
I'm hoping for a new ipod with bluetooth syncing w/ color screen . Also apple annoucing more cars for their built in ipod thing for the 2004 lexus ES with navi ;)

zelmo

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2004
Mac since 7.5
new Airport Express
new Pro look keyboard and mouse
new Power Mac line-up:

dualcore Dual 3.0GHz
Dual 2.7GHz
Dual 2.3 GHz
single 2.3GHz

mowogg

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2004
San Gabriel, CA
I Predict (Anybody remember the old Sparks song???)

Full-size iPods with color screens across the board
New Airport Express with IR built in
iTunes for Linux
1 new garageband instrument pack
72 new automator actions
23 new dashboard widgets
New Blue Dalmation and Flower Power mac mini color schemes

Oh, and Steve will demo Tiger...again.

Fukui

macrumors 68000
Jul 19, 2002
ITASOR said:
Alot of people are saying a 13" widescreen PB, which I sure hope is wrong because that would just look "weird"... :eek:
Nooooooooooooooo!
That sony 13" is slick!
If they get that thats my next computer 4 sure.
Powerbooks should all be widescreen. To not be so is... wrong. :)

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
what are the rumors for new keyboard? I just bought mine last week so it would be cool if new ones come out so i can exchange it.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
jer446 said:
what are the rumors for new keyboard? I just bought mine last week so it would be cool if new ones come out so i can exchange it.

Maybe a colour-coded keyboard that'll match the aluminium G5s and PowerBooks. There may also be more features on it too.

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
mad jew said:
Maybe a colour-coded keyboard that'll match the aluminium G5s and PowerBooks. There may also be more features on it too.
i hope not i just got a bluetooth keyboard/mouse
I cheep keyboard and mouse would be cool to match the mini...

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
How can they have another speed bump in the PowerMac line when they just had one....

I don't see it happening.

D

jer446

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
yeah i just bought the bt keyboard, but does anyone know the return policy? Incase they are released on the 6th, will i be able to return it? I recieved it on monday,

law guy

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 17, 2003
Western Massachusetts
Mr. Anderson said:
How can they have another speed bump in the PowerMac line when they just had one....

D

The bump would be pretty close to the bump (and the bigger changes) that happened when my dual 1.42 came out - total life of that product was only 4 months on the market (mid-March to mid-July when the WWDC PM announced G5's began to ship).

What do you see coming down the path next week? (and do I recall incorrectly, or did you used to be located in Alexandria, VA? We used to live up the hill behind the GW monument)

treysmay

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2005
toronto, ontario, canada
crazy ideas

Dropping the single 1.8 G5. :(
Dropping prices on, PB’s and PM’s. :D
Lowering cost of 23” and 30” cinemas :D
Upgraded system controller chip in G5’s, or something else that miniscule. :mad:
New video cards for Power Macs. “Even though, these ones rock” :D
New iBooks 10”, 12” and 15” high quality screens. :D
And some new industry standard apple thingy, like maybe Fire wire 1600 or something :eek:

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
law guy said:
My predictions:

PowerMacs: 3.2 GHz Dual G5s (just dual processors, but not dual core)
DDR2 memory
PCIe-x16 graphics

Powerbooks: A low voltage mobile version of the G5 with modest speed (somewhere in the range of 1.2 to 1.6GHz) announcement to ship in July / August - 15" and 17" only. Mobile version keeps processor speed down under most mundane use and extends battery life.
DDR2 memory

All "regular" size iPods go color screen; digital FM tuner available built-in with record to disk feature.

Modest price cut on 30" display
Maybe on the 30", but otherwise I think you're going to be disappointed.

Possibly an upgrade to the iBook, or even the mini, but I doubt it will be anything revolutionary. No G5 PowerBook either, unless they keep the G4 for some models, and just have like 1 highend one. Same with the PowerMac. They just updated them, so the best we'll get is a highend model, with the rest being the same but with minor price drops. Hopefully a better single Tower. Probably an iPod/iTunes update of some kind, but no radio and no built-in recording. Sorry. :(

Something new probably we aren't even thinking of yet. Way to plug those leaks Apple, we're stumped. Asteroid anyone?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thoughts humble ones.

A new FireWire speed sounds nice, if only more appliances come to market that'll use it.

1> Xserves getting a new speed bump, and possibly a new design layout;back to supporting 4 HDDs possibly.

2> price drop of PowerBooks & 30" Cinema Display's would be smart to further move products & sales; since both arent doing to ecstaticly well. Dont get me wrong their fantastic but I see only the super fortunate & industries buying 30 Cinema Displays. Also performance of PowerBooks from possible switchers' point of view may not be to impressive, either way reduce the price by say 12" ($200), 15" ($250), and 17" ($300) would be really sweet; but offer it with mail in rebate within 30 days. Statistics say only roughly 20% of people mail in their rebates anyway.

3> PowerMac's, a new high-end, while dropping the single cpu. All will ship with bluetooth 2.0+EDR.

4> Announcements of more alliances, maybe even a special sneak at what IBM plans for opening up the architecture of the Cell; not that it'll be in a Mac , but what technologies would make it into a future cpu.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
Well just to say about the PB's....they will proberly not go as low as 1.2Ghz...the 1.67Ghz G4 will beat the 1.6Ghz G5 :eek: :mad:

Platform

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2004
treysmay said:
Dropping the single 1.8 G5. :(
And some new industry standard apple thingy, like maybe Fire wire 1600 or something :eek:

1.They should if not updated

2. FW 1600 nah...they don't even have FW 800 in any other than the PM and PB ;)

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
1) Quad processor (if possible with dual cores but unlikely) PowerMac G5's at $3500 or above. A new model, not update.

2) New iBooks, likely e600 based. Low end 1.33, high end 1.5 GHz. The 1.5 model would run at 10w if its using an e600 G4.

3) Possibly new PowerBooks, though it seems to be too soon for them.

4) Some iPod update. 5G? Nah...still, there will be something.

5) Some mention of the videos in the iTunes Music Store. Will there be an iTunes Video Store announced, I dunno.

6) Something about HD video.

7) Some mention about how great the HD projectors are.

8) Someone from another company onstage.

9) Something unexpected.

10) Some mention of how great Tiger is.

GFLPraxis

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Mr. Anderson said:

D

What if its not a bump, but a higher end model added?

Say, a tri or quad PowerMac at 3 GHz and $3500 or $4000?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.