Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
Just got my iPad 2 yesterday, love it. However, I downloaded the ABC, Real Racing 2, and Flight Control apps. I made sure my volume and ringer was turned all the way up, but still no sound.

Davewithak

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 7, 2011
make sure that your rocker switch is not set to mute.

It's not, I have that set to control rotation.

Edit: I went in settings, set it to control sound, muted it and un-muted it and it fixed it. Thanks for the help.

Norm1222

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
I too am having sound issues, but only when using apps or keyboard. My YouTube, iPod, etc plays sound. I have reset twice, made sure that the locking key is NOT on mute, etc. It is driving me nuts and may have to take a trip to the store. Any other ideas?

skyfreedom

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2008
This is funny

I had the same issue, then a buddy of mine asked if the rocker switch was muted and of course it wasn't but get this I had the rocker switch set to rotation lock my buddy set it switch to mute and then launched the an app " angry birds" and no sound..... Then while in the app switched to unmute and bam sound!!!!

I believe that some apps confuse the rotation lock on as mute, since then I haven't used rotation lock and all is good!

Norm1222

macrumors newbie
Mar 24, 2011
Tried that also. Finally called the techies and they had me do a full restore and now sound works but in the process noticed the backlighting prob that others have been referring to. Seems like apple rushed to get these new iPads out!

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
While your mute/rotation rocker might be fine, the system might have overrode it. It's happened to me when using Garageband. Doubleclick home and scroll left to the volume/mute control and check there.

imutter

macrumors 6502
I have a different issue I switch the sound off and when I play some Apps and youtube it still plays sounds ..annoying my family sleeps at noght an dall of a sudden my ipad blasts LOL at least the speakers are louder then iphone LOL

wash43

macrumors newbie
Aug 20, 2011
SAT
This works

This worked for me, for some reason certain apps had sound and others did not, but this worked and I was able to change back to using the side switch to lock rotation. Thanks.

I had the same issue, then a buddy of mine asked if the rocker switch was muted and of course it wasn't but get this I had the rocker switch set to rotation lock my buddy set it switch to mute and then launched the an app " angry birds" and no sound..... Then while in the app switched to unmute and bam sound!!!!

I believe that some apps confuse the rotation lock on as mute, since then I haven't used rotation lock and all is good!

Allertonj

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2011
No sound ipad2

I've tried all fixes on this site regarding unlocking orientation and unmuting. And still no sound. I've checked everywhere where may be something on mute and still no sound.
Does anyone have any other ideas? I'm very frustrated.
When I had to ring apple support they were less than helpful.HELP please

graystone

macrumors newbie
Jun 6, 2008
There seem to be certain apps, or combination of apps, that disable sound. Try doing a system re-set. Press the Home button and the on-off button on top of the iPad at the same time and hold until you see the Apple logo appear. Disregard any interim screens that appear, including the welcome screen, and just wait until the apple logo appears. This will "re-set" the iPad, but no data or settings will be lost. This should restore sound.

twamos

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
no sound in my game apps

so i had the same issue with the sound on my apps - but i followed another user's advice about doubleclicking home and scroll left to the volume/mute control and checking there - turns out my mute there was on! wth? anyway - this seems to have fixed it...:cool:

Shadyriley

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2009
You have to make sure that you switch it to unmute before you switch it to lock rotation, it will stay on the last setting. Common sense.

ITweijie

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2011
I also had the no sound in all my apps.. I thought it was something wrong with my ipad that I just brought today. Then I realized that a lot of people had the same problem. I set the switch back to Mute and all I Flicked the switch back to normal and all the sounds came back.. Phew!

KDNYC

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2010
Had the exact same problem. Mute/Unmute worked. Whew. Fighting zombies is not as fun without the sound :)

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Incidentally if you have the switch set to control rotation lock, then you can find the mute/unmute button on the far left side in the widgets section of the multitasking bar. Conversely this button controls rotation lock when the switch is set to mute.

WildAl

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2012
Turn on notification sounds

I discovered that if I slide to notification sounds switch to On, the App sounds work.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Had this happen to me cause my son figured out how to turn it off and I tried EVERYTHING! Then I remembered the volume when you double tap LOL.

UneElle

macrumors member
Jun 14, 2010
Had the same problem. If you haven't already done so, try this:

Double click on Home Button to bring up Task Bar
Scroll all the way to the right to bring up controller
Make certain both volume slides are slid all the way to the right (maximum)
NOW check the icon of the Speaker Volume on the left. Make sure it does NOT have a diagonal line thru it If it does, click on the Speaker Icon and "MUTE OFF" will appear for a short period of time in the bottom center of your screen.

Hope this helps!

canoemtp

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
Possible Fix for No Sound

My wife has an iPad2 and recently downloaded a bunch of games for our grandchild; however, none of them had sound. I tried the toggle switch on the side and no sound. I went into GENERAL settings and went to SOUNDS. In SOUNDS I went to Ringer and Alerts and click ON for Change with Buttons. All Apps now had sound including games. Hope that helps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.