Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house
I recently took my old iPhone to the Apple store and had it replaced with a brand new one directly from Apple. Is there any way to tell if the phone they gave me was unlocked? I tried searching all over Google etc but didn't really fiund any helpful info other than to restore and see if I get the pop up message aabout the phone being unlocked. Not ready to do that for obvious reasons =)

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house
Why would you think it was unlocked in the first place? Unless the one you turned in was factory unlocked, you'll get one locked to your carrier.

I wasn't sure, because it was activated without a SIM. I am not all the savy when it comes to phone activation etc. Although I suppose the fact that it was able to activate without a SIM might have been an indicator that it is indeed locked. not sure lol

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I wasn't sure, because it was activated without a SIM. I am not all the savy when it comes to phone activation etc. Although I suppose the fact that it was able to activate without a SIM might have been an indicator that it is indeed locked. not sure lol

You cannot activate an iphone without a sim.
Unless they gave it to you already activated.
You need to have a sim inside.

EngageWithRage

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
Your girlfriend's house
You cannot activate an iphone without a sim.
Unless they gave it to you already activated.
You need to have a sim inside.

Nope, this phone had absolutely no SIM in it when I activated it at the Apple Store. I was a bit puzzled by this myself, I actually had to ask for the SIM back from my old phone I was returning, and the Apple Genius said I wouldn't need it, I got it back anyway, but it does not need to be in my phone i order for me to make calls, send texts etc..

My phone number was assigned to it and everything...Black Magic is afoot?

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Nope, this phone had absolutely no SIM in it when I activated it at the Apple Store. I was a bit puzzled by this myself, I actually had to ask for the SIM back from my old phone I was returning, and the Apple Genius said I wouldn't need it, I got it back anyway, but it does not need to be in my phone i order for me to make calls, send texts etc..

My phone number was assigned to it and everything...Black Magic is afoot?

Unless you're talking about a CDMA carrier?
You didnt mention above but if its verizon or sprint then yes you wont need the sim.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.