Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
This sucks.

But, then again, unlimited data is a rarity. Even ISPs don't really provide unlimited data, they just cap at ~250GB.

Now if Verizon/AT&T capped at 250GB, I'd be fine with that :D

I'm still holding onto my unlimited data plan through AT&T with my dear life. Been through the 3GS, 4, and 4s... hoping to make it 3 more generations! haha

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
These articles seem strange from a European perspective. Here, there are many options for unlimited data.

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
So all of this makes me really want to consider Sprint. Do they suck as bad as so many people seem to say they do?

It's all based upon your location. In fact sprint and AT&T are better at my house. Verizon I need a network extender just to get some kind of steady signal.

peapody

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Man..

I knew i was going to have to move to a tiered 4g plan...I guess this is more reason to hold on to my iphone 4s for as long as I can.

That sucks for future iphone 5/6/7 users who will have to pay full price for a 4g grandfathered plan to continue.

doctorossi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
I don't understand the contention that buying at the unsubsidized rate is a workable solution here. If you buy the phone unsubsidized, you still have to pay the same plan rates that pay the carrier back (and then some) for the subsidy, so... a ~$500 premium just to keep your unlimited plan? How does that constitute the best deal for even the top data users?

Is there something wrong with my math?

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
Man..

I knew i was going to have to move to a tiered 4g plan...I guess this is more reason to hold on to my iphone 4s for as long as I can.

That sucks for future iphone 5/6/7 users who will have to pay full price for a 4g grandfathered plan to continue.

Depends on what resale value would be on iPhones. I sold a black 64gb AT&T 4S for $750. Remember buying full retail lets you unlock them. Havin unlocked is a great sellin point. I haven't sold an unlocked Verizon so I don't know if they value will be that high or not.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
Nice clarification. "Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan." Making it sound like it's a gift from them to you.

This is the first thing I thought when I read it.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
I don't understand the contention that buying at the unsubsidized rate is a workable solution here. If you buy the phone unsubsidized, you still have to pay the same plan rates that pay the carrier back (and then some) for the subsidy, so... a ~$500 premium just to keep your unlimited plan? How does that constitute the best deal for even the top data users?

nothing wrong with your math at all. the carriers would be MORE than happy to have everyone bring their own phone (paying full price).

Tortri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2010
This sucks for a lot of customers but honestly i have no problem buying a phone out right, call verizon and switching phones and judging by what they said I can do this when the new iphone 4g(presumably) comes out and keep my unlimited plan when i switch to 4g.

So basically your a sucker if you go for their subsidized phones and signing up for a 2 year contract.

start saving your pennies..

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
This sucks.

But, then again, unlimited data is a rarity. Even ISPs don't really provide unlimited data, they just cap at ~250GB.

Now if Verizon/AT&T capped at 250GB, I'd be fine with that :D

I'm still holding onto my unlimited data plan through AT&T with my dear life. Been through the 3GS, 4, and 4s... hoping to make it 3 more generations! haha

My ISP doesn't cap data -- Verizon FIOS, nor does Time Warner I believe. I know that Comcast does, but I thought that trend was dead. Ugh, there is no end to the gouging.

I feel like between my ISP, cell phone data charges, subscription to services like Netflix and the New York Times online, that I'm double and triple charged for things that used to be cheap or free. Time for me to go back to reading books and watching over the air broadcasts.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Nice clarification. "Customers who purchase phones at full retail price and are on an unlimited smartphone data plan will be able to keep that plan." Making it sound like it's a gift from them to you.

In some ways, it is. And I wish they would do this particular thing across the board.

Subsidized phones should have higher monthly bills, un-sub'ed phones should have lower monthly bills.

NOTE THAT I DO NOT APPROVE OF REMOVING THE UNLIMITED DATA PLANS.

doctorossi

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2008
So basically your a sucker if you go for their subsidized phones and signing up for a 2 year contract.

You're a sucker if you pay for an unsubsidized phone- you pay the same rate for your plan whether your phone was subsidized or not.

iJon

macrumors 604
Feb 7, 2002

I'm with ya on that one. I have an grandfathered plan with ATT and barely put a dent in it each month, usually less than 1GB. I simply have WiFi for 90% of the day.

I have no interest in paying full retail for a phone when I plan on staying with that cell provider for the next two years, so I will abide by their rules to save a few bucks.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
so when the new iphone comes we have 2 choices

1. pay $200 and lose our unlimited data
2. pay $700 keep unlimited data

this sucks....good thing im on wifi 80% of the time.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Seriously thinking this...

My sis is in London now. So how can I sign up for a 3 plan or Vodaphone plan, and use it in the US. Is this doable? She can foot the bill at her addy, and I can be rid of AT&T (as they will undeniably be following suit here).

mac.cali

macrumors 65816
Mar 16, 2012
This sucks for a lot of customers but honestly i have no problem buying a phone out right, call verizon and switching phones and judging by what they said I can do this when the new iphone 4g(presumably) comes out and keep my unlimited plan when i switch to 4g.

Me either. It's my experience that being not on a contract they tend to give you more discounts to remain with them. I remember I used to get free text messaging for a year just I stick around. No contract need to sign. However if your in a contract they know your not going anywhere. If you do move, they can expect your eft. I prefer no contract method and pay higher for the phone.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010

but why would you go buy a phone yourself when verizon will charge you the same price regardless of whether you sign a 2 year contract or not? they won't lower the rate if you bring your own phone.

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
so when the new iphone comes we have 2 choices

1. pay $200 and lose our unlimited data
2. pay $700 keep unlimited data

this sucks....good thing im on wifi 80% of the time.

staying on wifi also benefits the carriers.. you will still continue to pay $30/month for data regardless of whether you use it or not. verizon still earns $30 from you

unlimitedx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
A full retail iPhone is $450 more than a subsidized one. Verizon now charges a $30 "upgrade fee" for subsidized phones, so let's call the difference $420. (ignoring taxes since they vary)

420/24=17.5, so keeping your unlimited data plan will cost you an extra $17.50 a month over 24 months, assuming you choose buy a subsidized phone as soon as you're eligible. Effectively you'd be paying $47.50 a month for data. For $50 a month, you could get 10 gigs of data. Unless you use an enormous amount of data, there's no way that's worth it.

I signed up for Verizon shortly after they announced they'd be getting rid of unlimited data, so I asked if I'd be able to keep it when I bought a new phone. They told me I'd be grandfathered in as long as my Verizon account was active. They either lied to my face or decided to break their word. Corporations can't be trusted at all.

You should also subtract out the value of the iPhone ($300-$500) when you resale it X months later to get the true cost out of pocket for unlimited data per month.

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
So what happens to those who get the unlimited data discounts? I signed up for a plan where all 5 lines would get unlimited data for $10 a month.

Will I lose this plan?!!?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.