Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
Yeah, it's insignificant on a large scale. Doesn't bother me - but Greenpeace will latch onto it anyway.

My point (well, the point which Greenpeace will make) is that 170 acres will now be covered with opaque panels, which both shades the area (depriving everything thereunder from light), and by converting some percentage to electricity siphons off some energy from any ambient heating effects thus cooling the area further. Yeah, it's not an appreciable fraction of the earth's disc, but whatever lived on that 170 acres will be affected. And this is not taking into account the environmental impact of making a quarter-square-mile of solar panels.

They're making a comparable fuss about wind farms, so expect the same here. Deployed on a meaningful scale on par with national/world electricity consumption, there will be non-trivial negative environmental effects.

I think the consequences are worth it.
I want a Hummer too, and make no bones about it being less energy efficient than a Pious.

The spin I would put on this as far as ecosystems is that there should be islands of solar panels, perhaps 40 to 50 acres, separated by wooded/brush areas not unlike the typical small clear cuts that are popular and mostly sound environmentally. Habitat edge is very beneficial to wildlife.

Otherwise, the American West especially the Great basin where I live is ideal for very large arrays with minimal environmental impact.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
The official proposal was filed with the North Carolina Utilities Commission on February 15,

five wil get you ten that Greenpeace still tries to take credit for it

----------

So true. I am all for protecting the environment and all that but really--couldn't Greenpeace have find a better target than Apple?

No they couldn't. because it wasn't about anything other than press. Apple gets page hits so it gets pages.

----------

This article talks about their biofuel (essentially natural gas from animal source) generators.

so what are they bottling Greenpeace's hot air.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
It's really good to see such a large and admired company leading the way and inspiring people with such a large investment in green energy.

Actually, Apple is following Microsoft and Google on this - the Mountain View offices of Google and Microsoft have solar panels covering much of the roof surface.

The silly Apple "spaceship" campus plans on using a carbon-based power plant.

sdruley

macrumors newbie
Dec 4, 2012
Job Opportunities

With Apple's approved plans to construct it's massive facility in Maiden, NC., I am wondering if anyone knows how to plug into any job opportunities associated with the construction of the nearby 20-Megawatt Solar Farm.
It would seem that this could be one of the positive implications of the venture. I personally know of several people, including my son, that have been looking for work for over a year now. There doesn't appear to be an easy way to get in touch with the right people. There must be a way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.