Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Following my little "incident" ( https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1370650/ ) I'm going to get one of the 2 cases above, so I wondered if anyone had any opinions/experience with either?

I had a Defender for my iPad 1 and was really happy with it, but I'm curious about the Survivor now.

Cheers.

Seen both in person. There's a bit of creaking in the Survivor shell when held by one side or with the iPad pressing down on an edge, but the rubber is thicker than the new Defender, and in the corners and grip areas, they add even more rubber. This comes at the cost of portability, and no hard screen protection.

The new Defender is much thinner than the iPad 1 version - its about 4-5mm thinner. The frame fits nicely around the iPad, so it sits well in the hand without being as bulky as the Survivor, and it's a dense and less porous rubber that doesn't pick up much lint. With the hard protector in place. It feels very sturdy... but I don't know which is more drop-proof, as the plastic shell of the Survivor might fly apart on impact, but it has more rubber in the crash-zones which might offset that. the Defender's stuff rubber may be more helpful than the Survivor's, but there's less of it on the corners and edges as compared to the Survivor.

For portability, the Defender wins. For extra port/opening protection, the Survivor is it.

mikewired

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
I have tried both and liked both for different reasons. the survivor was best when it came to ease of pushing the buttons and especially the home button. The home button on the otter box is really hard to push and the wife with fingernails and the kiddos could not push it. The viewing stand and front cover of the otter box was fantastic and the survivor stand is garbage. Both cases with built in screen protector made the new iPad screen look pixelated and grainy... so both cases ant back, I bought the applecare+ and went back to using a Belkin snap shield and Apple smart cover.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Thanks.

I gather that both of these come with their own screen protector, but is it possible to remove it and use your own, as I'd much rather use a MediaDevil?

Cheers.

scdad

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2012
In my opinion, the Seidio Active is a better option than both the cases you mentioned. Protection, style, usability.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I'd go with the Seidio too. Offers just as much protection and looks, somewhat, more reasonable then the other two.

Both come with their own built-in crappy screen protectors. Quite a few people just punch out the screen protector and either apply a 3rd party protector or just naked with it. When popping out the built in screen protector, you'll also need to get rid of the glue residue that holds the screen protector in place.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
I'd go with the Seidio too. Offers just as much protection and looks, somewhat, more reasonable then the other two.

Both come with their own built-in crappy screen protectors. Quite a few people just punch out the screen protector and either apply a 3rd party protector or just naked with it. When popping out the built in screen protector, you'll also need to get rid of the glue residue that holds the screen protector in place.

I'm trying to find a UK stockist right now, thanks.

anthrovisual

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
In my opinion, the Seidio Active is a better option than both the cases you mentioned. Protection, style, usability.

I might have to take a look at the Seidio myself as I started with an Otterbox Defender but wanted something lighter. According to their web site it is 3.5 oz, which seems crazy light to me (the Defender is about a 1 lb. I believe). I'll have to look at their return policy in case I end up not liking the case.

toasty hoodie

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2011
I have the Defender, and now they come in multiple colors too. I like the piece of mind it offers, but if I wasn't in an industry where I work outside, I'd be running just a smart cover and back cover only.

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.

I like it.! :D

It feels a little thinner and lighter than my iPad 1 too.

I ripped the "screen protector" out straight away, as I've got a MediaDevil clear protector on the way.

It is what I expected it to be (based on the one I had before), so I'm a happy bunny. :)

Azzin

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
Just a quick update after using it for a day or so...

I've just noticed that the "stand" that also doubles as a screen cover, has magnets on it and when you put it on/take it off it puts the iPad to sleep/wakes it up, so that's a bonus.

The only other thing is that the Home button is quite stiff and needs a firm press, but I'm hoping that will soften up over time.

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
Just a quick update after using it for a day or so...

I've just noticed that the "stand" that also doubles as a screen cover, has magnets on it and when you put it on/take it off it puts the iPad to sleep/wakes it up, so that's a bonus.

The only other thing is that the Home button is quite stiff and needs a firm press, but I'm hoping that will soften up over time.

The new version has smart cover functionality, yes - that' was the big change beyond the bezel and screj protection It's a nice compromise between Smart Cover usage and protection. This Home button is less stiff than the iPad 2 version... but I'd suggest using the gestures instead.

Toby Ziegler

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2011
Gallifrey
I've always preferred the Griffin Survivor for my iPad and iPhone over the Otterbox Defender cases. Hard screen protection isn't a necessity for me, but something to protect from drops, dust, and minor spills is a must. Otterbox has too many holes in it for me to be comfortable using it.

bhags8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2012
I looked at both and ended up with a Gumdrop Drop Tech Military Edition and it's my favorite case ever.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
[/COLOR]
The new version has smart cover functionality, yes - that' was the big change beyond the bezel and screj protection It's a nice compromise between Smart Cover usage and protection. This Home button is less stiff than the iPad 2 version... but I'd suggest using the gestures instead.

I went with the new defender over the survivor, as I did not like the stand for the survivor, only one angle and seems flimsy to me compared to the case. As though it was an afterthought. I find the home button really stiff too. What did you mean by "using the gestures"?

HiddenPuppy

anthrovisual

macrumors regular
May 27, 2008
[/COLOR]

What did you mean by "using the gestures"?

HiddenPuppy

I'm guessing they refer to using the multi-touch gestures (4-finger "pinch" to go to the homescreen, 4-finger swipe to open multitasking) for functions covered by the home button.

It's the way I go most of the time but sometimes the 4-finger pinch doesn't register.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I'm guessing they refer to using the multi-touch gestures (4-finger "pinch" to go to the homescreen, 4-finger swipe to open multitasking) for functions covered by the home button.

It's the way I go most of the time but sometimes the 4-finger pinch doesn't register.

OK thanks for the info. I will stick to the home button, more sure for my fat fingers.

HiddenPuppy

Haesslich

macrumors member
Apr 11, 2012
[/COLOR]

I went with the new defender over the survivor, as I did not like the stand for the survivor, only one angle and seems flimsy to me compared to the case. As though it was an afterthought. I find the home button really stiff too. What did you mean by "using the gestures"?

HiddenPuppy

I'm talking about gestures like four-finger swipe up, pinch-to-close, changing programs... as the Home button is FAR too stiff, even in this revision of the case. The one for the iPad 2 was even stiffer, though.

HiddenPuppy

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2011
I'm talking about gestures like four-finger swipe up, pinch-to-close, changing programs... as the Home button is FAR too stiff, even in this revision of the case. The one for the iPad 2 was even stiffer, though.

OK, thanks, have never tried those, may have to do some research and see what each one does and try them.

Have a great day,
HiddenPuppy

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.