Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
I downloaded Rage from the mac app store. Story is lacking but gameplay is fine. My problem is that when i try to use my xbox controller with this game and move forward with the left stick it moves forward for a second and then reverses and starts moving backwards.

I know its not the drivers since my controller works perfectly with my skyrim port.

Please any suggestions will be appreciated, i prefer using the controller over the touch pad.

RecycleBin

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
since the stick works for a little while and then reverses I'm inclined to think it's somehow refreshing itself after getting input, and then once it resets it thinks that the default stick positions is "backwards". Are the batteries in it fresh and is the connection to the laptop really solid? Additionally have you tried it with another controller or have you tried the one you're using with the 360?

Also is the copy of Rage you're using legal? If not, it could be that the cracked version you're using has issues with the drivers you have.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
since the stick works for a little while and then reverses I'm inclined to think it's somehow refreshing itself after getting input, and then once it resets it thinks that the default stick positions is "backwards". Are the batteries in it fresh and is the connection to the laptop really solid? Additionally have you tried it with another controller or have you tried the one you're using with the 360?

Also is the copy of Rage you're using legal? If not, it could be that the cracked version you're using has issues with the drivers you have.

I purchased the game from the Mac AppStore. I have tried to play with two of my xbox controllers and neither of them work. It works perfectly with other games, seems to just be a problem only with Rage.

RecycleBin

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2012
Hmm. I don't know what to say to that. What drivers are you using for the 360 controller? I'd try a different driver if you haven't yet.

Erasmus

macrumors 68030
Jun 22, 2006
Australia
With a thread title like this, I expect to see a picture of you lobbing an Xbox controller across the room.

Until such time, disappointment.

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
If you have any third party drivers installed for your XBOX 360 controller, the XBOX 360 controller will not work. Any third-party drivers for the controller will conflict and the controller will not work. Here is a post from Aspyr about the XBOX 360 controller...

----------------------
Rage only supports:

keyboard + mouse controls,

the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows,

and the Xbox 360 Wired Controller.

Third party drivers are not supported for this game (including Tattiebogle drivers) and will cause conflicts with the game and Microsoft's default drivers. Unplug your supported controller, then delete the following:

HD/Library/Preference Panes/Pref 360 controller

HD/Receipts/Installer.plist

HD/Startup Items/360 Control Daemon

HD/System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext

HD/System/Library/Extensions/Wireless360Controller.kext

HD/System/Library/Extensions/WirelessGamingReceiver.kext

HD/System/Library/Frameworks/Forcefeedback.framework

Restart your computer and empty the trash bin. Plug in your supported controller and the game will recognize it properly.

If the issue continues, please submit a support ticket with us or call us.
----------------------

The support part of the Aspyr site has more information about this.

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 1, 2012
If you have any third party drivers installed for your XBOX 360 controller, the XBOX 360 controller will not work. Any third-party drivers for the controller will conflict and the controller will not work. Here is a post from Aspyr about the XBOX 360 controller...

----------------------
Rage only supports:

keyboard + mouse controls,

the Xbox 360 Controller for Windows,

and the Xbox 360 Wired Controller.

Third party drivers are not supported for this game (including Tattiebogle drivers) and will cause conflicts with the game and Microsoft's default drivers. Unplug your supported controller, then delete the following:

HD/Library/Preference Panes/Pref 360 controller

HD/Receipts/Installer.plist

HD/Startup Items/360 Control Daemon

HD/System/Library/Extensions/360Controller.kext

HD/System/Library/Extensions/Wireless360Controller.kext

HD/System/Library/Extensions/WirelessGamingReceiver.kext

HD/System/Library/Frameworks/Forcefeedback.framework

Restart your computer and empty the trash bin. Plug in your supported controller and the game will recognize it properly.

If the issue continues, please submit a support ticket with us or call us.
----------------------

The support part of the Aspyr site has more information about this.

Thank you for your response, I tried to remove everything and once i did my controller would no longer connect to the receiver. I am guessing i might need to get a wired controller instead of my wireless/Receiver. It wouldnt let me reinstall the drivers after so i had to restore from a Time machine backup, now everything is back to how it was. I will try to remove the drivers again once my wired controller arrives since i can't play skyrim with my controller without the drivers being installed.

Thank you everyone for the help, i will try this again once it arrives and i will update the forum incase anyone else has this issue.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
I know this is a bit of a dead thread, but I am having the same issue as well. I do have the tattleboogie drivers installed, I would hate to remove them just to get this one game working.

I am using an official wireless controller, with the wireless dongle for windows.

Has anyone removed these drivers, and had the joystick still work for this game?

I wonder if there is a quick way to "turn the drivers off" for this game only....

EDIT: The ugly thing is that ferrel interactive requires you to install the tattleboogie driver to support the xbox 360 gamepad in their games..... Catch 22, no matter what you do...

Solomani

macrumors 601
Sep 25, 2012
Slapfish, North Carolina
A summary glance at MR's gaming forums tell us one thing:

Many of Aspyr's recent Mac (action) games support the Xbox 360 wired controller. Out of the box support, no additional drivers needed. They say so in their Aspyr Support website.

Many of Feral's recent Mac (action) games support the PS3 Dualshock3 (wireless) controller out of the box. Out of the box support, no additional drivers needed. They say so in their Feral Support website.

My conclusion... if I'm going to be playing Aspyr games, then I should have bought an Xbox 360 (wired) controller, preferably the official one made by Microsoft, not some 3rd-party copycat controller. If I instead prefer to buy and play Feral's games, then I would instead buy the official Sony-branded PS3 Dualshock wireless controller. And if I wanted to play a bunch of (action) games from both of these top-notch Mac gaming companies, then I'd make my life easier by splurging for both controllers. Having done some research before I bought any of their games (for my brand new 2012 iMac), I came to this conlusion as to what controllers to use for which games, without having to go insane with driver problems. On a good day, you can find these damned controllers on Amazon for under $35 (brand new).

Matthew0414

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2013
Same Problem

Did you ever find a fix? when i press forward slightley on the left stick it moves forward but the second i press it all the way forward it goes in reverse? Please tell me you found a solution

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Did you ever find a fix? when i press forward slightley on the left stick it moves forward but the second i press it all the way forward it goes in reverse? Please tell me you found a solution

I had to buy an xbox 360 wired controller, and remove the xbox 360 controller drivers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.