Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
hey all, i came across a really great Steve Jobs quote about programmers in the early 90's. he said something to the effect of: "I certainly view programmers as artists. it's just that in the time we live in, this medium of computing exists. if it didn't exist, many of these people would have become poets and painters"

really great quote. i was wondering if there were any other 'inspirational' type quotes out there?

thanks

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
What the hell did Steve Jobs ever know about software engineering? Sure he was a UI/UX expert, but that doesn't qualify him to judge how the code is written or comment on design patterns, etc.. Who does Steve Jobs think he is????

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What the hell did Steve Jobs ever know about software engineering? Sure he was a UI/UX expert, but that doesn't qualify him to judge how the code is written or comment on design patterns, etc.. Who does Steve Jobs think he is????

Um...how do I say this...er...politely and with sensitivity...ah...Steve Jobs doesn't think he is anyone one anymore.

Ah...not to put too fine a point on it, but Steve Jobs is...ah...dead.:(

:rolleyes:

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
what do you mean by UX?

MacNoobGuy

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
UX = User eXperience. It's all about how the user experiences the UI, hardware, apps, calls... basically everything.

Jobs was really good at choosing from, or rejecting, what others came up with. He had a great feel for what the common person would be comfortable with, identify with, and desire.

ok thanks.

are there any quotes out there?

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
My favorite :p

y7Hm9.jpg

vrDrew

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Midlife, Midwest
If you love writing code-- really, truly love to write code-- you'll love it enough to write as little of it as possible.

Jeff Atwood

I thought of Jeff's wise words when I read about how Mark Zuckerberg and the engineers at Facebook celebrated their IPO: By holding an all-night Hackathon.

I don't know if FB's Hackathon resulted in a net gain or loss in terms of total number of lines of code. But I can guess....

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
Jobs never programmed a line of code, so they're different topics :)

I don't believe that's true. He was obviously not a programmer by trade and didn't write anything for the Mac, but I believe he did a little programming back in the day.

kdarling

macrumors P6
I don't believe that's true. He was obviously not a programmer by trade and didn't write anything for the Mac, but I believe he did a little programming back in the day.

Jobs never designed a circuit or programmed. He used Woz to do both at first, even when Jobs was supposedly working nights at Atari. As Pong enginerr Al Alcorn put it:

Jobs never did a lick of engineering in his life. He had me snowed," Alcorn later recalled. "It took years before I figured out that he was getting Woz to 'come in the back door' and do all the work while he got the credit."

At a speech in 2006, Wozniak also commented Jobs that "had never programmed in his life".

Jobs didn't know the details about how things worked, and he didn't have to know. He hired others to do the design and technical work.

Jobs was great at speeches and he was good at being the ultimate decider of what the common user would like. Basically, he was a terrific enabler of producing technologies for mass consumption, not the inventor of them.

Some have compared him to people like Beatles manager Brian Epstein... he didn't write or sing the songs, but he sure marketed them and the group.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.