Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiggy1

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
That Nifty MiniDrive is great. Will it also work in the MacBook Pro? I don't know how the slots compare, but I would "committe" to buy one if they will fit in the Pro in the same way.

ihonda

Suspended
Sep 17, 2009
when putting my itunes on my sdhc card there is a delay between switching songs.. sigh :/ it claims its a class 10...

makemineadouble

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
That Nifty MiniDrive is great. Will it also work in the MacBook Pro? I don't know how the slots compare, but I would "committe" to buy one if they will fit in the Pro in the same way.

Hey Wiggy, thank you! The honest answer to that is I don't know. The SD slot on a Macbook Pro is a little different from that of the Macbook Air. My gut feeling is that it would fit, but I won't be able to say for sure until I actual get the first batch of milled bodies through and can actually try putting one in the Macbook Pro!

I should know the answer to that in the next couple of weeks.

wiggy1

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
I like how I can't spell commit. Anyway, I measured the depth of the SD card slot on a MBP using an MMC card (half the length of an SD card) and it was just a little deeper. I am thinking that as such, the MBP is deeper than the MBA so your adapter might be recessed. I am just guessing though since I don't have an MBA to test on. However, I might just hit up Best Buy and test this theory out.

wiggy1

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
Ok, I went to Best Buy today and measured the depth of the MBA and the MBP. They are very similar, if not exactly the same. I didn't have the best way to measure other than marking on an SD card, but they seemed within 1/2 mm in depth. So the adapter being created for the MBA should work just fine in the MBP.

I'm looking forward to when they are released.

makemineadouble

macrumors newbie
Apr 15, 2012
Ok, I went to Best Buy today and measured the depth of the MBA and the MBP. They are very similar, if not exactly the same. I didn't have the best way to measure other than marking on an SD card, but they seemed within 1/2 mm in depth. So the adapter being created for the MBA should work just fine in the MBP.

I'm looking forward to when they are released.

Yep - definitely fits - I have just checked it on both a Macbook Pro and an iMac. Looks like Apple uses a standard sized SD card reader slot across the board, which makes a lot of sense.

The metal arrived today, fresh from being machined, light bead blasted and anodised. Just a couple more steps to go and they will be ready for the big time!

MiniDrivev10.jpg

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Anone know if SDHC card readers support SDXC? I am thinking of buying a 64GB Sandisk SDXC for $100 Class 10 but don't know if I can find a adapter that I can cut down to make it flushable.

a.coward

macrumors regular
Jun 1, 2010
Anone know if SDHC card readers support SDXC? I am thinking of buying a 64GB Sandisk SDXC for $100 Class 10 but don't know if I can find a adapter that I can cut down to make it flushable.

I didn't think they made Class 10 Micro SDXC cards in 64GB capacity.
Unless you are referring to a standard SDXC card, for which this flush
adapter hack thing will not work.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Unfortunately not -- it's class 6.

Click here and look under technical details.

thanks for pointing out but my first site said it has 30MB/s read speed I guess that should be good....anyone using this? btw

----------

Yep - definitely fits - I have just checked it on both a Macbook Pro and an iMac. Looks like Apple uses a standard sized SD card reader slot across the board, which makes a lot of sense.

The metal arrived today, fresh from being machined, light bead blasted and anodised. Just a couple more steps to go and they will be ready for the big time!

based on your picture...your design is Rectangular in shape but I have a Macbook Pro 2011 and my SD card slot has circular edges.....so I don't see how this will fit....also looks a bit thick...compared to my slot

wiggy1

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
Ok, I have joined with 55 others (at least) who have committed to the Nifty MiniDrive. It looks very elegant. Now I just hope the reader slot is the same size on the new MacBook Pro's to be announced next month.

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
Also Anyone know if a 64GB SDXC MicroSD will fit this adapter the Nifty or the micro sd adapter used in the first post. please advise.

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
I thought this was a great idea until i tried it. its so painfully slow its unusable. so so awful. never a replacement for proper added storage through upgrade.

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
I thought this was a great idea until i tried it. its so painfully slow its unusable. so so awful. never a replacement for proper added storage through upgrade.

glad I didn't jump on the EUR200 128GB SDXC solution and opted for the EUR250 256GB second-hand Apple blade SSD solution to replace my 128GB stock SSD !

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I bought this Sandisk Cruzer Fit 32GB, Since it came in, I formatted it to HFS+ Journaled and loaded it up with 28GB worth of Videos in .flv format+Images and PDF documents. Watched almost 50 hours worth of video lectures as well as opened almost half of the PDF documents and images......so far everything seems to work very well. It is legitimate and when plugged in on the left side along with MagSafe charger it is barely noticeable.

If you don't need to me writing too much data on it constantly then it is a perfect solution...I think even faster than the SDHC cards....plus you can share it easily with other computers as well as add/remove it from the MBAir. Sure it takes a bit longer to load it up with my files but these files I don't move very often...so it is perfect in that sense and also gives me plenty of free space on my internal SSD for my other important files and downloads.

Its even smaller than the person who shared pictures

Pros:
- Only $22.99
- 32GB With 31.67GB User accessible.
- Extremely Small--Only sticks out as much if not less than the MagSafe Charger
- Read Speeds = 17-22MB/s
- Easier to use
- Has Serial printed on it, I am going to verify it with SanDisk once I get a chance to call them.

Cons:
- Write Speeds = 4-6MB/s

Last edited:

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois

what ever happened to you guys....gone completely silent....with over 20days of no updates....

wiggy1

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2012
Turns out the Nifty Drive IndyGoGo campaign didn't meet funding goals. However, the guys making the drive rolled all the funds garnered under the IndyGoGo effort over to a Kickstarter campaign. They are in a holding pattern as that effort progresses. This is the story I received as one of the funding supporters and I chose to leave my purchase active in the hopes the Kickstarter campaign is successful.

Hopefully the Nifty Drive guys will be on here to do a better update than me. But I wanted to make sure interest doesn't flounder due to a lack of updates.

kylera

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2010
Seoul
Ok, I have joined with 55 others (at least) who have committed to the Nifty MiniDrive. It looks very elegant. Now I just hope the reader slot is the same size on the new MacBook Pro's to be announced next month.

Or the new MBA...that is, if there will be one tomorrow.

m0ssie

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
does the new 2012 MBA have the same type SD card slot, where this mod will still be necessary?

Satnam1989

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2011
Illinois
I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on the web but does the Macbook Air's support MiniSD without a standard SD card adapter? like can you stick a MiniSD card in the Macbook Air and use it? because of its smaller size...it would be flush with the surface if I'm correct.....

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
I can't seem to find the answer anywhere on the web but does the Macbook Air's support MiniSD without a standard SD card adapter? like can you stick a MiniSD card in the Macbook Air and use it? because of its smaller size...it would be flush with the surface if I'm correct.....

It does not, the Slot in the Macbook Air is for SD, so you need the adapter to use a MiniSD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.