Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

howtouseiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Do I need a micro sim to setup an iphone? Please!! A simple answer will do,I just really need to know.. please?

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
If the phone is not yet activated, then yes you will require either an active micro SIM or CDMA carrier plan (for CDMA models).

If you have a GSM model, then just ask a friend if you can borrow their SIM as it really only takes a few minutes.

howtouseiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2012
If the phone is not yet activated, then yes you will require either an active micro SIM or CDMA carrier plan (for CDMA models).

If you have a GSM model, then just ask a friend if you can borrow their SIM as it really only takes a few minutes.

So I really need a micro sim to set it up?

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
also what firmware, if you have firmware that can be jailbroken than redsn0w can activate it for you.

howtouseiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2012

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
How about on a 4s?

----------

Can a normal setup do it?

He means that the iPhone 3G and 3GS used regular sized SIM cards; whereas, the iPhone 4 and 4S use micro SIM cards.

And no, the iPhone REQUIRES an active SIM card (or carrier plan for CDMA) to activate. If you are fishing for us to give you some super secret way of activating one without a carrier without jail breaking then you will be searching for a long time.

howtouseiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2012
He means that the iPhone 3G and 3GS used regular sized SIM cards; whereas, the iPhone 4 and 4S use micro SIM cards.

And no, the iPhone REQUIRES an active SIM card (or carrier plan for CDMA) to activate. If you are fishing for us to give you some super secret way of activating one without a carrier without jail breaking then you will be searching for a long time.

Oh.. Sorry. Didn't noticed that.
And sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound fishy.. Sorry for not knowing this kind of things and make my self look more dumb. I just wanted everything right when I buy my iphone

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
Oh.. Sorry. Didn't noticed that.
And sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound fishy.. Sorry for not knowing this kind of things and make my self look more dumb. I just wanted everything right when I buy my iphone

I didn't mean to make it sound rude, sorry about that.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
Iphone 4s required the micro sim type card.

Without it you would stop at the early stages of the set up stage un hooked to your iTunes.

Hooked up to iTunes you will need it to activate.

In the Uk micro sims are pretty easy to order online from your chosen network or like i did, just pop into a high street network outlet. I use 02 who basically supplied me the micro sim in store, who then made a phone call and moved my number and tariff over from my full sized sim to the micro sim which became active in just under 1 hour.

Happy days !!

howtouseiphone

macrumors member
Original poster
May 2, 2012
Iphone 4s required the micro sim type card.

Without it you would stop at the early stages of the set up stage un hooked to your iTunes.

Hooked up to iTunes you will need it to activate.

In the Uk micro sims are pretty easy to order online from your chosen network or like i did, just pop into a high street network outlet. I use 02 who basically supplied me the micro sim in store, who then made a phone call and moved my number and tariff over from my full sized sim to the micro sim which became active in just under 1 hour.

Happy days !!

Thanks!! So even though I hook it up on itunes it won't finish the setup? Sorry, i didn't get the meaning of "un hooked to your itunes" .I don't mind buying a micro sim, its very easy to buy it here in the philippines, my only problem is im buying my iphone at hong kong/macau soon and its going to be the factory unlocked one. while im staying there, i will buy the micro sim, because based on your replies i really need to have it.. and now i having problems if it will affect my iphone if i came back here in the philippines and buy the local gsm micro sim here..

Nikhil123

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
Hi friends i watch out all your reviews and i am agreed with you and Yes my friend you must be need a micro sim to activate your apple iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.