Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
I can't figure it out and I have looked all over the web.

I have an mkv files I try to remux and they are 5.1. Whenever I remux, I get stereo sound. Changing settings doesn't help either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I can't figure it out and I have looked all over the web.

I have an mkv files I try to remux and they are 5.1. Whenever I remux, I get stereo sound. Changing settings doesn't help either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

What format is the audio track after remux (AAC, AC3, etc)?

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
it should look like this at the end

Screen%20Shot%202012-05-01%20at%2009.16.21.png

track 1 AAC stereo
track 2 AC3 pass-thru 5.1

if you are using a mac to remux the MKV, then using MP4Tools the following settings will give you the correct result

Screen%20Shot%202012-03-11%20at%2011.49.53.png

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I want to say ac3 but I could be wrong.

Chenks, gives the way it should look after remux. If it is different than that, let us know the differences and we can work from that info to solve the problem.

Sorry, Chenks, didn't see the bottom of your post before I replied. Like you, I think, I prefer to use mp4tools to remux the mkv to mp4 and add generate a new stereo track.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
My mkv files do not have a stereo track, just a 5.1 track. Any thoughts?

I have not used Subler to add an AAC Prologic II stereo track but I know it has a preference setting to do so. Do you have that preference option selected and the appropriate output type chosen? Oh, and is the input file DD or DTS? I am not 100% sure that Subler works well converting DTS to AAC.

Your very best option is to use MP4Tools to do this. It does not tag metadata however.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
When adding the stereo track are you selecting pass-thru?

When I do remuxing with Subler and have a MKV with AC3 I add the audio track twice. Once to have it as a stereo track and the other to have it as a pass-thru AC3 track.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
When adding the stereo track are you selecting pass-thru?

When I do remuxing with Subler and have a MKV with AC3 I add the audio track twice. Once to have it as a stereo track and the other to have it as a pass-thru AC3 track.

But doesn't it have to be AAC stereo for the aTV?

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I have not used Subler to add an AAC Prologic II stereo track but I know it has a preference setting to do so.

Subler does not have this option (not quite). Subler has an option to convert an AC3 track to an AAC track. Alas, it does not preserve the AC3 track when it does so.

A.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
But doesn't it have to be AAC stereo for the aTV?

You don't need AAC for the ATV. It plays AC3 just fine. I have two tracks - AC3 5.1 for the atv and AAC for my iPad/iPhone.

Then AC3 is selected as pass-thru and the AAC stereo track is converted from the ac3.

The only time I don't use two tracks is when the ac3 track is stereo. Then I just do one AAC file to save space - even though the atv can play a ac3 stereo file.

Last edited:

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
Whenever I use MP4Tools, I have the problem outlined in this post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1373694/

I don't have that issue with Subler.

But with Subler I have the audio issue!

y7as.jpg

This is a snapshot of my settings in Subler. I haven't an option to select stereo or 5.1.

I just tried to take a MP4Tools created file and "optimize" it using Subler but it did not work. I wish MP4Tools would work, considering I paid $5 for it and it works with audio so well.

Any other ideas?

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
I just tried to take a MP4Tools created file and "optimize" it using Subler but it did not work. I wish MP4Tools would work, considering I paid $5 for it and it works with audio so well.

Any other ideas?

MP4Tools works fine, you must be using it wrong if you are having problems.
See the screengrab of MP4Tools I provided further up the thread - that is how you remux the MKV file to M4V with 5.1 and stereo audio tracks.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
You don't need AAC for the ATV. It plays AC3 just fine. I have two tracks - AC3 5.1 for the atv and AAC for my iPad/iPhone.

Then AC3 is selected as pass-thru and the AAC stereo track is converted from the ac3.

The only time I don't use two tracks is when the ac3 track is stereo. Then I just do one AAC file to save space - even though the atv can play a ac3 stereo file.

I misunderstood what you were saying. I though you were saying you have 2 AC3 tracks, 1 stereo and 1 5.1. That format was not what was "typical" for track structure as usually 1 is AAC stereo and the other is AC3 5.1.

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
Whenever I use MP4Tools, I have the problem outlined in this post: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1373694/

I don't have that issue with Subler.

But with Subler I have the audio issue!

This is a snapshot of my settings in Subler. I haven't an option to select stereo or 5.1.

Any other ideas?

The appletv can't play a m4v file with a DTS audio track - you need to convert it to AC3.

While a little complex to initially setup, When I have a mkv file with DTS, I use a script called mkvdtstoac3 to convert the mkv with a dts file to AC3 and then use subler to remux to the file to m4v.

The script:

https://github.com/JakeWharton/mkvdts2ac3

Some instructions to setup:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/836043/

When following the instructions, just skip downloading the script from his site and get it from the Jake link I posted.

Once you have everything setup, you simply run "mkvdts2ac3 -n <filename>" in the terminal to recreate the MKV file with the DTS track replaced with a AC3 track.

It's free, works well, and is easy to use (once you have everything set up).

Last edited:

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
The appletv can't play a m4v file with a DTS audio track - you need to convert it to AC3.

While a little complex to initially setup, When I have a mkv file with DTS, I use a script called mkvdtstoac3 to convert the mkv with a dts file to AC3 and then use subler to remux to the file to m4v.

The script:

When following the instructions, just skip downloading the script from his site and get it from the Jake link I posted.

Once you have everything setup, you simply run "mkvdts2ac3 -n <filename>" in the terminal to recreate the MKV file with the DTS track replaced with a AC3 track.

or just use MP4Tools which does everything with the click of a couple of buttons - and it's FREE also.

Firesign3394

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 28, 2011
Minnesota
or just use MP4Tools which does everything with the click of a couple of buttons - and it's FREE also.

I would but it causes the issue outlined in the post above. If I could figure out what causes that issue, mp4tools would be great!

I am going to take a snapshot of my mp4tools settings later and post them here to see if I am doing anything wrong. I believe the settings always matched what another poster posted earlier.

I will also try using the script. It looks like that may work!

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
I would but it causes the issue outlined in the post above. If I could figure out what causes that issue, mp4tools would be great!

I am going to take a snapshot of my mp4tools settings later and post them here to see if I am doing anything wrong. I believe the settings always matched what another poster posted earlier.

I will also try using the script. It looks like that may work!

Looks like MP4Tools is buggy with the ATV / high bit rate files.

The only thing I can think of would be to open the file created with MP4Tools in subler after conversion and use it's optimize function to resave the file and see if that works. Or just wait to see if the developer can fix the issue.

In the mean time the script I mentioned will do what you want to do.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
i've never tried using Subler to remux a MKV file before.
what's the process for doing it in subler?

----------

The script:

the problem i see with that process though, is that you end up with an M4V file with just 1 audio track (an AC3 5.1 pass-thru track)?

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
i've never tried using Subler to remux a MKV file before.
what's the process for doing it in subler?

----------

the problem i see with that process though, is that you end up with an M4V file with just 1 audio track (an AC3 5.1 pass-thru track)?

Subler will convert AC3 to AAC if you tell it to when adding tracks. Open the MKV file in subler and you can select which tracks to add to a new container. To get a second AAC track, re-add the MKV but only add the audio portion (deslecting the other tracks) and choose AAC instead of pass-thru.

From there you can add meta tags etc

Then just save the new file and it will create a proper m4v or queue it to do multiple at once. Subler will not convert the video track so it needs to be a h264/x264 track nor does it do DTS to AC3 (but I think it might do DTS to AAC).

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Subler will convert AC3 to AAC if you tell it to when adding tracks. Open the MKV file in subler and you can select which tracks to add to a new container. To get a second AAC track, re-add the MKV but only add the audio portion (deslecting the other tracks) and choose AAC instead of pass-thru.

From there you can add meta tags etc

Then just save the new file and it will create a proper m4v or queue it to do multiple at once. Subler will not convert the video track so it needs to be a h264/x264 track nor does it do DTS to AC3 (but I think it might do DTS to AAC).
I assume you are referring to AAC multichannel, correct? When I have selected that "action" the added track is still titled "DTS 6 channel". Is that the way it should appear and then after remuxing it is changed to AAC multichannel? A little bit confusing.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
trying to follow the instructions that were posted regarding mkvdts2ac3 and having problems at the first hurdle (installing cmake)

Code:
sudo curl -O http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.6/” && cmake_install && tar xvzf  && cmake_install
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  4914  100  4914    0     0  12527      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 20647
-bash: cmake_install: command not found

any suggestions?
OSX Lion 10.7.4 with xcode 4.x installed.

plus, i'm having to put "sudo" in front of every command....

Diode

macrumors 68020
Apr 15, 2004
Washington DC
trying to follow the instructions that were posted regarding mkvdts2ac3 and having problems at the first hurdle (installing cmake)

Code:
sudo curl -O http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.6/” && cmake_install && tar xvzf  && cmake_install
  % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                 Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100  4914  100  4914    0     0  12527      0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:-- 20647
-bash: cmake_install: command not found

any suggestions?
OSX Lion 10.7.4 with xcode 4.x installed.

plus, i'm having to put "sudo" in front of every command....

I would just install it from here:

http://www.cmake.org/files/v2.8/cmake-2.8.8-Darwin64-universal.dmg

It's a precompiled binary. Look at ixxx69's instructions further down. They are more up to date.

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK
ok.... next point of failure is the part for mkvinfo... the zip file doesn't appear to be at that URL any more.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Looks like the problem is with mp4tools is with the video track. So wouldn't this work:
1) create an mp4 with a video track, dts-ma converted to AC3 5.1 and a AAC stereo track using mp4tools
2) open the original mkv in Subler
3) delete all tracks except the video track
3) add only the 2 audio tracks (AC3 5.1 and AAC stereo) from the mp4
4) save

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.