Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cali shot doc

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
My mom asked me to digitize her copy of twilight to watch on her apple tv2 and Handbrake wouldn't do it. Once I hit start, it went straight to 100% and I got the first 2 seconds. I tried multiple titles but nothing worked.

I then decided to download a trial of Macx dvd ripper pro and it seems to have done the job but I have a few questions. What format should I rip it with: MP4 or H264? Should I run it through HB after?
Also whats the best resolution and quality that I should use?

Thanks

musty345

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2010
United Kingdom
I think H264 would be best but it doesn't matter- I don't think.
Pick the highest quality you can :)

And the reason handbrake didn't work was because you have to decrypt the DVD before handbrake will work (remove the protection).

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
My mom asked me to digitize her copy of twilight to watch on her apple tv2 and Handbrake wouldn't do it. Once I hit start, it went straight to 100% and I got the first 2 seconds. I tried multiple titles but nothing worked.

I then decided to download a trial of Macx dvd ripper pro and it seems to have done the job but I have a few questions. What format should I rip it with: MP4 or H264? Should I run it through HB after?
Also whats the best resolution and quality that I should use?

Thanks
MP4 is a container, while h264 is a codec. Not familiar with the app but does it actually give you the either mp4 or h264 option? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Blaquespell

macrumors newbie
Mar 9, 2012
MP4 is a container, while h264 is a codec. Not familiar with the app but does it actually give you the either mp4 or h264 option? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Probably meant MPEG-4, which is basically correct. It is both a container and a codec. MPEG-4 Part 2 (Advanced Simple Profile, DivX, XviD) and MPEG-4 Part 10 (AVC/H.264). H.264 will yield better results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.