Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
I replaced my iPhone 4 Battery.

During the replacement process I sort of ignited my OLD battery for a split second because I tried to pry it off with a mini screwdriver (anything plastic I used broke, the battery was REALLY glued on).

Installed the new battery, but now it's been on charge for 5 hours and it's still showing me the "battery low" icon (it's plugged in).

Note that it isn't showing me the "plug in to power / low battery" icon, just the "low battery" part, since it's already plugged in.

Not sure what to do. My old battery is no longer usable and my new one is taking forever to charge.. should it take this long?

orvn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 11, 2011
Toronto, Canada
YAY Fixed it!

The new battery seems to last a really long time. It's been on 100% for the past hour! Pretty thrilled (before, an hour would drain more than 10%).

If anyone else comes across this problem and finds this thread, getting the oils from your fingers off of all the connectors could help.

I used cotton swabs and ammonia containing glass cleaner (like Windex) to gently clean all the contact points, particularly those on the ribbon cable, it's outlet and the tips of the metal pressure sensor strip.

I made sure the pressure sensor strip was fully dried before reinserting it and avoided using generous amounts of fluid.

Upon careful reassembly with tweezers everything worked, my battery was already at 100%.

konradsa

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
Had a similar issue with my iPhone 5 after replacing the battery, posting it here to help in case someone is facing the same thing:

I noticed that my battery was charging fine with the little battery port cover removed, but as soon as I screwed the cover on, the battery wouldn't charge, even though the iPhone was indicating that charging is in progress. Figured that it must be some electrical issue, and upon closer inspection, I saw the plastic insulator on top of the battery connector was flaking off. So I put a little piece of plastic tape on top of the connector and screwed the cover back on. The battery is now charging fine, I suspect the cover was causing a short with the connector that allowed the charging current to escape.

philyao

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2015
Had a similar issue with my iPhone 5 after replacing the battery, posting it here to help in case someone is facing the same thing:

I noticed that my battery was charging fine with the little battery port cover removed, but as soon as I screwed the cover on, the battery wouldn't charge, even though the iPhone was indicating that charging is in progress. Figured that it must be some electrical issue, and upon closer inspection, I saw the plastic insulator on top of the battery connector was flaking off. So I put a little piece of plastic tape on top of the connector and screwed the cover back on. The battery is now charging fine, I suspect the cover was causing a short with the connector that allowed the charging current to escape.

konradsa, what is the little battery port cover? Not sure what you are referring to - can you post a picture? I think I am facing the same problem.

konradsa

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2014
konradsa, what is the little battery port cover? Not sure what you are referring to - can you post a picture? I think I am facing the same problem.

That actually didn't help, turned out the battery was bad. I got it replaced by iFixIt and the new one works as expected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.