Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SingaporeStu

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 12, 2009
Hi everyone,

Apologies in advance if I sound like I'm asking a very noob question.

I've been trying to tidy up the clutter on my iPhone (cos I only have 16GB), and I notice I have 1.39GB worth of "Other" stuff.

How can I find out what that "other" stuff is and subsequently get rid of it? I tried deleting most of my podcasts & vidcasts, but those only affected the Audio & Video count. I already un-starred all my files on Dropbox, that didn't make any difference either.

By file size, the largest app I have is Infinity Blade followed by Hero of Sparta, both of which are accounted for & as far as I know, I don't have any other app that keeps local data.

Anyone can offer some advice?

BR3W

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2010
That's usually stuff you may have put on there when using your ipod as a usb drive and/or ghost files.

you can get rid of it by (first making sure you have a backup of all your music and game files, etc.) restoring your ipod.

Soundflunky

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2012
I've found that doing a backup and then a restore in iTunes can decrease "Other" a little bit. Some of it is just accumulated junk. Mine's currently at 0.92 GBs. I only have 22 apps installed so if you have more than that then maybe it's not an unusual size.

tonyr6

macrumors 68000
Oct 13, 2011
Brooklyn NY
My Other is 1.46 GB. It use to be 1.5 GB but I used iExplorer and deleted a lot of junk in the Download folder. It grew that high though because I wasted my money on CopyTrans Photo (no thanks to Apple making iPhoto Mac only) then it stopped copying pictures and when I ditched it went back to iTunes limited photo uploader then the Other stopped growing.

michaelrossi51

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2012
Bronx, NY
"Other" is killing me!

I just did the DiskAiid thing and the Restore thing:p... Deleted the F Files through Disk Aid and Lost the sound of music on my IPhone and IPad:confused: (It's there but won't play and I wound up with 11 gigs free on my 16gig). Not Happy:( so i am Restoring again. I can se the music but it won't play on my IPad or IPhone... Whats Up with that? Anyone have the same experience? Let me know... Thanks:)!

kimdoocheol

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
I remember there being a script that would list all the files on your iPhone in order of size. That being said, I had the same issue and restored my phone while back. The issue for me was AppBackup as it backed up some of my videos I use in 3rd party apps. 1.6gb is nothing to worry about though, seems accurate. Would get clean up crap and lang2.2, too. Also delete and move unnecessary files, like multiple language audio files

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.