Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
The movement is only important to those who even know what a movement is. To 99% of people, the brand is what they know and this has been proven time after time. A common example is if you place a Rolex and a Patek Philippe side by side and ask people which one they would prefer, the majority of them will say the Rolex because they recognize the brand. Here's some additional irony, most people wouldn't even know what a Rolex is if they couldn't read the dial.

I have my own story to support that belief. A few days ago my father and I were at IHOP out in the country and the waitress noticed my dad's 18K yellow gold diamond encrusted watch and immediately said, "Is that a Rolex?". She was correct since it was a president, but it is because she had this grand notion on what a Rolex was. She didn't notice my Rolex platinum yacht-master that I was wearing.
Do you think she's in the market for quality times pieces, or why would this be relevant for our discussion?

How do you determine depreciation or appreciation of an item be it a watch, a car or anything in general? You look at what the MSRP of the item and then you look at the current resale value. There must be a point of reference to make that comparison.
Purchase price vs. what you can get for it when selling it on are the two main things here. If you didn't buy a new watch but a second hand one, the MSRP doesn't matter one bit. A watch that costs 10 000 new and 8 000 in second hand would mean that you take a 20 % loss when selling it on, but for someone who bought it second hand and can get the same amount when selling it there is no loss at all. The MSRP doesn't matter for that person.

Being a good seller is based on being able to sell an item for the asking price. When I worked in retail, the price was already set so all I had to do was sell it for the price and I was good at that since I really didn't have to worry about any lost on my part.
That depends on what the asking price is. Anyone can sell anything if the price is low enough, the trick is getting what the item is worth. Something you can do by either finding a tosser that you convince, or a buyer that is in the know.

Vudoo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2008
Dallas Metroplex
Do you think she's in the market for quality times pieces, or why would this be relevant for our discussion?

The relevancy is that people have perceptions on things no matter if it's valid or not. This perception influences purchasing decisions.

Purchase price vs. what you can get for it when selling it on are the two main things here. If you didn't buy a new watch but a second hand one, the MSRP doesn't matter one bit. A watch that costs 10 000 new and 8 000 in second hand would mean that you take a 20 % loss when selling it on, but for someone who bought it second hand and can get the same amount when selling it there is no loss at all. The MSRP doesn't matter for that person.

As a buyer, it matters to me. If I can get 20% off MSRP from an AD for new, then I'm not going to pay 8,000 for a second hand. I am going to ask for 7,000 or less.

As a seller, MSRP changes over time. If there is a price increase, then I can ask for more knowing that the buyer will have to pay more at the new price so I move my sale price to the equivalent percentage before the increase.

That depends on what the asking price is. Anyone can sell anything if the price is low enough, the trick is getting what the item is worth. Something you can do by either finding a tosser that you convince, or a buyer that is in the know.

Worth is the key here since that is completely dependent on what someone is willing to pay for. Just because you think a watch is worth $5,000, it doesn't mean you will get it. The market may determine that it's only worth $2,500. So then you wait until a buyer that is willing to pay $5,000 which may never happen. A good example is Tourneau trying to sell pre-own SS Daytona for $14,000. That's the price they want, but the pre-own market dictates that is should be less than that. So they will continue to hold onto it in their inventory until they can sell it either by reducing the price or until the market price changes.

This boils down to the point that you can make a business buying and selling watches, but I still think there are better financial options if you are buying one with the idea of personal investment. Watches are not a commodity. They are jewelry where resale is completely dependent on the person who is buying.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Worth is the key here since that is completely dependent on what someone is willing to pay for. Just because you think a watch is worth $5,000, it doesn't mean you will get it. The market may determine that it's only worth $2,500.
With "worth", I meant what the market decides it's worth. A watch that I wouldn't pay more than a thousand bucks for might be worth the double, if you see what I mean?

This boils down to the point that you can make a business buying and selling watches, but I still think there are better financial options if you are buying one with the idea of personal investment. Watches are not a commodity. They are jewelry where resale is completely dependent on the person who is buying.
Of course there are better financial options, and I wouldn't recommend someone to trade watches for a living unless they really know what they're doing, in which case they really wouldn't be interested in my comments either way ;)

Remember this is what I initially found a strange thing to say: Most of them will lose their value as soon as they are sold.

Maybe you were talking about every single watch out there and only retail price, but I assumed you were talking about quality pieces since you mentioned the word investment in the post (I don't believe anyone would buy just any watch as an investment) and consequently included the second hand market since one rarely have to take a loss when buying and selling these watches.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
Nothing special here, just a Fossil. I'm a sucker for watches but I'm also very picky and I'm still looking for that "perfect watch" that doesn't cost 4 figures. But I would love a Breitling though. I think I might go with a Citizen for my next watch.

Anyway, my watch while testing out a new lens and macro adaptor for my Nikon.

DSC_6286e by amnPhotography, on Flickr

Timeless by amnPhotography, on Flickr

party supplies

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2012
Nice watch

I think i have one of the nicest watch. I have RADO, sorry i don't know about the model name. But it looks simply awesome, with many facilities in it. It is a water resistant and have a good alarm set up as well.

Comet5o4

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
Asheville NC
Skagen:
_DSC0004.jpg

My Casual Fossil:
_DSC0006.jpg

My Dressy Fossil:
_DSC0007.jpg

slick316

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2005
Just got an Omega Seamaster Pro 300m Ceramic for my 30th Birthday, took a quick pic of it with the rest of my current collection....

mattcube64

macrumors 65816
May 21, 2006
Missouri
I cross-posted this in the Purchase Thread. It's my new Citizen Calibre. Already have received several compliments since wearing it for the first time on Friday.

7290526576_a064c3038b_z.jpg

This is my daily beater; a Pulsar that my ex-GF got me about three or four years ago:

7298961526_06db002f33_c.jpg

This Seiko is on my short-list. I'd really like to grab one next time I find a really good deal:

78474115_64174efebe_z.jpg

kooskoos1814

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2012
The one I love the best :

Longines Legend Diver - it's a reedition of a watch from a diver of the 50's. One of the nicest vintage diving watch in this price range.

I have some others, but it's the one I'm wearing the most. At work I have a Seiko Diver 200 that works perfect.

Attachments

• dscf6126.jpg
    dscf6126.jpg
    460.5 KB · Views: 154

Aidan8100

macrumors newbie
Jun 2, 2012
Unique styles added new look into your personality.To make you attractive and gorgeous.But fashion style does not mean that you will have to spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on what we call fashion and hot.

Anonymouslives

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2008
I'm looking to buy a higher end watch, either Tag Heuer, or Rolex. I went to some stores today and almost bought a couple of Tag heuer and a couple of rolex, not all together, just was going to buy one watch, but saw a few options I liked.

I really don;t want to pay retail and I wouldn;t mind a used watch, in excellent condition,but I'm concerned about authenticity, and I'm not a watch expert.

I'm in the Tampa bay area, anyone have any recommendations?

Likewise, I wanted a higher end fountain pen a few months ago and bought a $1,000 Mont Blanc meisterstuck 146. Then I come home to find out if I tried to sell it, I'd be lucky to get 40% of what I just paid. I don;t want to make that mistake again. Any help would be very much appreciated!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.