Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Loft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
Well eversince I installed Tiger 10.4.1, my application like Safari, VLC and YM quit by themselves all the time. I've seen it personally a few times but last night, i fell asleep while watching a movie, when i woke up all my applications, safari, ym, vlc etc quit on me. Is this just a glitch or is there a major problem? BTW, I have a 12" PB. Thanks

eva01

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2005
Gah! Plymouth
do you send the report to apple or no? if you don't then nothing will ever be fixed.

other than that i have not had that problem

Loft

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 17, 2004
eva01 said:
do you send the report to apple or no? if you don't then nothing will ever be fixed.

other than that i have not had that problem

Well, I just reported it to apple. The programs just keep on crashing.

FadeToBlack

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2005
Accoville, WV
The only app I've had quit on me since installing Tiger is Safari. The same website crashes it. I'd say it'll be fixed in the 10.4.2 update.

Lacero

macrumors 604
Jan 20, 2005
All of Apple's apps in Tiger have been extremely solid for me. Not a since crash yet. I can't say the same for VLC, which needs an update pronto!

Sweetfeld28

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2003
Buckeye Country, O-H
not related to Tiger, but Safari unexpectedly quits every time i try to open it on my old G3 MT (running OS X 10.2.8). I have even tried downloading it and reinstalling it, but i get the same thing. So, i just gave up and switched to mozilla.

hey LOFT, did you do a clean install or upgrade?

robnic

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2005
I have the same problems, and a few more to boot. After attempting a clean reinstall, and removing my third-party RAM, all of Tiger's apps work fine. However, when I reinstalled my extra RAM, Safari, Firefox, Mail, certain Dashboard widgets and every other online program crashed. Thus, at least in my case, I believe it may be an incompatibility issue with third-party RAM. For now, I am forced to run 10.4.1 with the factory-installed 256MB, and it is a painfully slow process. As it is not really their fault or problem, Apple, of course, won't address this issue. My memory vendor, Crucial, only wants to swap out the chip for a new one. Hopefully this works.

Hope this helps your issue.

James Philp

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2005
Oxford/London
As with a lot of problems try this if you haven't already:
1. Trash the preferences for the problem app(s)
2. Repair permissions and try again.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
Safari crashes regularly (once or twice a day). It only happens upon closing a tab, and it doesn't matter if I close it by using cmd-W or the X-button... Of course I close hundreds of tabs each day, so the error percentage is quite small, but still annoying...

robnic

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2005
Follow-Up

In follow-up to my earlier post, it seems that there is an issue of incompatibility between Tiger 10.4.1 (and perhaps 10.4) and third-party RAM. I just installed another third-party chip and ran into the same problems, that is, random system and program crashes. Indeed, I twice crashed upon start-up. That said, it looks like I need to shell out the extra cash for Apple-certified RAM. I suppose this is what happens when one is thrifty. :rolleyes:

Soulstorm

macrumors 68000
Feb 1, 2005
I have been extensively using safari some days now, and no problems appeared whatsoever. Why everyone have problems?

You didn't mention if you did just an upgrade to your computer or did a clen install of the OS from the start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.