Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Hi

I am YouTube member since almost 1 year. That's my facts:
  • 51 subscribers
  • 35,126 video views
  • Uploaded Videos 12

Are my numbers enough to get some money with my videos? Howto receive some money? I disabled Youtube ads on my video... Does this gets good money? Other idea howto generate some money?

westisbob

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2012
Unfortunately probably too few.

You can make money with youtube ads yes but I think they have some minimum subscriber amount before you can start placing them.

I'm talking about the 15-20 sec video ads before some Youtube videos.

Don't know the minimum though but I guess it can be found on Youtube 's website somewhere.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I don't have a big following on youtube (31 subscribers and about 30k video views with 18 public videos), yet I always get offered to turn on the "monetization" by youtube. Seems like you can just try it if you want to.

Be aware however that: If you have copyrighted content (warnings) on your channel, you might not be offered that option. And in that case, the copyright owners will (rightfully) get the money, not you. But even if you own all content on your channel, and you switch on the monetization, with that kind of subscriber base and views you won't earn the big moneys.

It is strictly forbidden for youtube partners to talk about how much they earn, so it's unlikely you'll find a lot of info on this on the web. I've heard estimates of about $1/1k views, but that's assuming you have some subscribers already. In your case, that would be a total of 35 dollars so far, and you'll have to pay taxes on that, too.

So my advice would be to first get a viewership, most likely by not making them watch an ad before each video, and if you feel confident enough that they'll stay with you, you can try some advertisement.

By the way: Actually naming your channel here might get you some viewers if you do some interesting stuff... just saying... even if it's German (so am I).

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
So yes - turn on monetization - YouTube added video prerolls a few months ago and those pay surprisingly well some clicks I've gotten a dollar off of!

I do plenty of YouTube content including a daily Apple news show called iWake - YouTube.com/Tchaten - I turned on the money maker button in YouTube and was surprised that with my limited subscribers around 49 and limited views it starts to add up - around 75 days into it and have already earned around 30 bucks - the cool thing is the trend - growing every month - last month $11.76 - this month already $12.61 and thats with several days to go.

If you create good content you'll get viewers - also be regular. You can make good money on YouTube - start with what you have - oh yea make sure to turn on video prerolls thats what really creates the revenue.

Tim
YouTube.com/Tchaten

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
Hi

I am YouTube member since almost 1 year. That's my facts:
  • 51 subscribers
  • 35,126 video views
  • Uploaded Videos 12

Are my numbers enough to get some money with my videos? Howto receive some money? I disabled Youtube ads on my video... Does this gets good money? Other idea howto generate some money?

i have 976 views, 61 subscribers, and 6 uploaded videos, iv had my channel less than 3 months, from monetization iv earned just over £2 for under a thousand views, im aiming to have around 500 subscribers and 200,000 views by the end of the year..

always monetize your content aslong as its your copyright, if not then dont monetize it but still host it as you wont get in trouble for that.

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I wanna weigh in on that with two comments:

1. I unsubscribe way more quickly from a channel if I have to watch an ad before each video. The content has to be really good for me to accept that. I would recommend you to wait with your monetization until you have a little bigger of an audience.

2. 30 dollars or 2 pounds are definitely not "good money". If you stood in a city center with a hat and performed your uploaded content for half an hour, you will have more money earned with less effort.

If the OP disagrees and she thinks she will not alienate her audience with pre-rolled ads and that 5 euros a month will increase her lifestyle significantly, then please go ahead. I just want you to think about it before you do.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
i have 976 views, 61 subscribers, and 6 uploaded videos, iv had my channel less than 3 months, from monetization iv earned just over £2 for under a thousand views, im aiming to have around 500 subscribers and 200,000 views by the end of the year..

always monetize your content aslong as its your copyright, if not then dont monetize it but still host it as you wont get in trouble for that.

What sort of stuff do you post? I have a channel that has a lot of views however it was from when I made short films at school and sadly they are all copyright protected with the music.

I also have another channel where I make covers of songs by other artists but I think that even if it's a cover the copyright sticks with the artist and label.

I am starting to make short films that I own all the rights to however, I can't produce as many as I did as when I was younger and more able to just use content from everywhere meaning if I did start a new channel it would only have a a couple of videos.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
What sort of stuff do you post? I have a channel that has a lot of views however it was from when I made short films at school and sadly they are all copyright protected with the music.

I also have another channel where I make covers of songs by other artists but I think that even if it's a cover the copyright sticks with the artist and label.

I am starting to make short films that I own all the rights to however, I can't produce as many as I did as when I was younger and more able to just use content from everywhere meaning if I did start a new channel it would only have a a couple of videos.

well im just starting my channel off and im in the middle of writing a fantasy script, but basically im going to have a blog of getting started in indie filmmaking, but not because im a professional, its more to follow my progress and everything in which i do, i will say my first blog post was crap and boring however in my next blog il make it more fun like filmriot, my channel is 89salacious theres not alot on there but as i said i plan to make the film then do vlogs about how i did it, where i got my info from, my training and all that stuff..

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006
I value my content and me enough to not do things ad free - it takes my valuable time to produce content for YouTube and if someone is stupid enough to think I'll work for free then I don't really want them as a subscriber - YouTube is kind enough to let you bypass the video pre rolls by pressing a simple button 3 seconds into it - also mobile users bypass all of the ads.

30 bucks may not sound like much, but you have to start somewhere - you don't start out making 1000 bucks a month - it is an organic and exponential growth - 30 bucks means you can go out to dinner or a movie an extra time - or if you are very poor that may mean a lot - don't be so arrogant thinking 30 bucks is nothing - its awesome that you may have this nice high paying job, but not everyone is so lucky - thank God for the gifts you have, don't belittle others that aren't as blessed as you are.

Enough Said.
Tim

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
30 bucks may not sound like much, but you have to start somewhere - you don't start out making 1000 bucks a month - it is an organic and exponential growth - 30 bucks means you can go out to dinner or a movie an extra time - or if you are very poor that may mean a lot - don't be so arrogant thinking 30 bucks is nothing - its awesome that you may have this nice high paying job, but not everyone is so lucky - thank God for the gifts you have, don't belittle others that aren't as blessed as you are.

I'm very sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone. And while 30 bucks in 3 months sure is a lot to some people (and I certainly also had times when it was a lot to me), I don't think those people will most likely own a camera and editing hard- and software... I certainly do not have a high paying job, by the way. :) But I consider myself lucky to be able to do filmmaking as a hobby, because it is an expensive one.

Still, if I offended someone with my comments, I am very sorry. I still stick with my opinion that if you have very few subscribers, most of them will have subscribed because they know and like you personally or because they want to support you, and I sure don't want to alienate them. I am a hobbyist when it comes to filmmaking, and while I know that my time is valuable and that my content is worth something, I still present my videos without ads.

It's really all about weighing the two arguments "Do I want money for my good and time-consuming video posts?" and "Does the amount of money I get justify the ads people get yet?". Everyone has to weigh those two for themselves, and there probably is no real argument against trying the monetization for a while (it doesn't cost you anything). I just wanted the OP to know the counter argument and think about it before she goes ahead with it.

Again, no offense intended. I might have worded my post too strongly (that's sometimes hard to judge in a foreign language). I hope this post cools down the discussion and clarifies my opinion a little better.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
...my channel is 89salacious theres not alot on there but as i said i plan to make the film then do vlogs about how i did it, where i got my info from, my training and all that stuff..

Just a thought I wouldn't put where you got your information from as you will probably end up losing viewers to that source.

I think what you should aim to learn as much as you can and see if there are any topics that you've found lots of tutorials on that you can combine into a single tutorial meaning that there is a reason people are viewing your videos instead of another andrew kramer tutorial or film riot tutorial.

Please don't take offence to this but personally I wouldn't subscribe to your channel because some of your videos seem a little amateurish. IMO if you're not 100% happy with the results then delete the video. The one of you putting your name in between your hands seems very basic and not very well polished and if you are looking at people learning from you I would ensure that your finished product is up to a standard that they would aspire to recreate otherwise they will find someone who does it better.

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
Just a thought I wouldn't put where you got your information from as you will probably end up losing viewers to that source.

I think what you should aim to learn as much as you can and see if there are any topics that you've found lots of tutorials on that you can combine into a single tutorial meaning that there is a reason people are viewing your videos instead of another andrew kramer tutorial or film riot tutorial.

Please don't take offence to this but personally I wouldn't subscribe to your channel because some of your videos seem a little amateurish. IMO if you're not 100% happy with the results then delete the video. The one of you putting your name in between your hands seems very basic and not very well polished and if you are looking at people learning from you I would ensure that your finished product is up to a standard that they would aspire to recreate otherwise they will find someone who does it better.

of course not, i value constructive critism more than anything, your correct they are amatuerish, i spent like 5 minutes on them, but they arent actually purposed to be criticised, i was just showing a friend some examples in saudi, my main break is gonna be my short film, once i get it filmed, i believe it will be a good showcase of the skills i got, but your right the videos will be removed once i get my proper media up and running.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
thank you for all answers.

I decided to produce more videos, improve my skills and later (if successful) enable Monetization.

I have two questions:

As your video uploads, click the "Monetization" tab on the upload page and click the "Monetize my video" check box.
Select which ad formats you want to enable for your video. To learn more about the different options available, click the "?" icons next to each ad format.
Click the "Save changes" button.
Your video will go through a standard review process before ads begin to appear. You may be asked to submit information proving you own all necessary commercial use rights to any or all content in your video. During this time, your video will remain private. Once your video is approved, your video will automatically become public.

https://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=94522

Does Google manually watch every video before enable Monetization? Is this an automated process? Does somebody knows more?

Create yourself: YouTube is a place where everyone has a voice and where everyone, whether a newbie videographer or a professional, can be successful. We encourage you to use your imagination to create something completely original. Examples of videos that have been successful on YouTube include daily vlogs and home videos, Do- it-Yourself videos and tutorials, original music videos and short films.
Commercial Use rights: Before opting such content into monetization, ensure that you have all the necessary rights to commercially use the content. It’s not uncommon for content creators to clear rights to use third party content on YouTube. Often, this clearance takes the form of explicit written permission from the rights holders.
Follow YouTube guidelines: To support your growth and success on YouTube, we expect you to follow YouTube’s Community Guidelines when you create content for YouTube. Following them is a requirement on the site, and will increase the visibility of your content on YouTube which could mean more views, more user engagement and ultimately more revenue.

https://support.google.com/youtube/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2490081

I own all copyright from my videos, but I have often troubles with "YouTube guidelines". My videos gets flagged :mad:

The YouTube Community has flagged one or more of your videos as inappropriate. Once a video is flagged, it is reviewed by the YouTube Team against our Community Guidelines. Upon review, we have determined that the following video(s) contain content in violation of these guidelines, and have been disabled:

Is that a problem for Monetization?

floh

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2011
Stuttgart, Germany
I own all copyright from my videos, but I have often troubles with "YouTube guidelines". My videos gets flagged :mad:

Now I'm REALLY interested in what your channel actually is. :D

I don't think it would prevent this video from being monetized. However, it might not turn up in search results or recommendations and therefore get you less viewers.

Do you know what part of the guidelines you are violating? Do you swear a lot?

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011

I don't think it would prevent this video from being monetized. However, it might not turn up in search results or recommendations and therefore get you less viewers.

I won't publish my channel here, because of privacy.

No I don't swear a lot :) :) I get flagged because "too sexy" for catholic corporate America :) :)

musicpenguy

macrumors 68000
Oct 29, 2006

You can get flagged as I have for showing copyrighted images (showing websites too) - it is very easy to get flagged - you can fight it but in the end the time is better spent creating another video :)

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
I won't publish my channel here, because of privacy.

No I don't swear a lot :) :) I get flagged because "too sexy" for catholic corporate America :) :)

Right so you want to make money from your YouTube, i.e. generate a lot of interest and views to your channel yet you are reluctant to share it.

You need to figure out what you're attempting to achieve!

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Right so you want to make money from your YouTube, i.e. generate a lot of interest and views to your channel yet you are reluctant to share it.

You need to figure out what you're attempting to achieve!

If I will post my channel, I will receive max. 20 hits :D

Archie Campbell

Joined 2 years ago / London, UK

I am a film student studying Digital Film Production at Ravensbourne University in Greenwich.

I have been making films of all sorts for the past 5 years and have dipped into several different genres. Here I have posted currently only a small collection of what I have created.

How much do you earn with your vimeo channel? Very professional, but a little boring videos (I know it's called art :p)

How many (total) video views do you have?

----------

I wanna weigh in on that with two comments:

1. I unsubscribe way more quickly from a channel if I have to watch an ad before each video. The content has to be really good for me to accept that. I would recommend you to wait with your monetization until you have a little bigger of an audience.

Install Adblock Plus and you will never see again Youtube ads. I never saw a Youtube ad, because I am a long time Adblock Plus/Firefox user.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
If I will post my channel, I will receive max. 20 hits :D

At the moment the total amount of people who have viewed this thread is over 2,000. There is a saying "look after the pennies and the pounds will look after you" if you're so confident that your channel is going to be a success then by all means don't share your channel. I was only to trying to help

How much do you earn with your vimeo channel? Very professional, but a little boring videos (I know it's called art :p)

Thanks for the positivity. Glad to know that you think my videos are boring even though I don't remember asking for your feedback and you haven't even shared your own which we are trying to help you out with. AFAIK you can't directly make money from a Vimeo channel so therefore it makes nothing. I also don't have that many views because that is not what I am aiming to get from the channel. It's to share with friends/family, upload private videos for clients and show some examples of the sort of work I can create.

How many (total) video views do you have?

On my vimeo only a few thousand. On my Youtube I recently topped 400,000.

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 6, 2011
Thanks for the positivity. Glad to know that you think my videos are boring even though I don't remember asking for your feedback and you haven't even shared your own which we are trying to help you out with.

Sorry for this comment. It was not my intention. I have limited English skills. After rereading my comment - again Sorry.

acearchie

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2006
Sorry for this comment. It was not my intention. I have limited English skills. After rereading my comment - again Sorry.

Sorry, didn't realise english wasn't your first language! We'll put that one down to lost in translation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.