Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
they have this new movie safe house for $19.99 1080p on itunes

I cant decide wether to buy it here or the. Bluray disc

I read the ATV3 1080p is near bluray quality

What do u guys do for the most part on new movies that you want to own

Buy the bluray disc
Buy the movie from itunes
Buy the bluray disc, then rip it to itunes

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
If you actually want to OWN the movie, then buy the bluray disc and then rip it. Otherwise you can only watch the video on an iTunes authorized computer. .... Or you can rent the movie from RedBox and then rip it :)

Che Castro

macrumors 603
Original poster
May 21, 2009
I do have the ATV/ipad/iphone if thats what you mean by itunes authorized computer

I dont have a mac

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I buy them as downloads about 5: 1 over blue ray but i do buy both. Online i buy them from iTunes, PSN, Xbox Live and one or two other services.

As we starting to watch more 3D movies those are all on disk.

Alrescha

macrumors 68020
Jan 1, 2008
I buy movies from iTunes. I gave away my Blu-Ray player and the few discs I owned. I have enough CDs and DVDs packed away to not want to have to deal with physical media all over again.

A.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Asking this question here is mostly going to get a (heavy) bias toward iTunes. You might as well ask: "which OS is better, OS X or Windows?" or "which smart phone is best?"

If you want maximum video quality and maximum sound quality, the only consumer choice is BD (or BD ripped into a MKV container without any transcoding).

If you want added convenience and/or near-immediate gratification (or don't want to store BD discs, or "hate physical media", etc), you can trade off some visual & sound quality for iTunes versions.

There are other lessor arguments for and against each (BD extras, flexibility of being able to sell- or fully give- them to someone else later, etc) but if the focus is really about the movie or show itself, the above is THE debate that only you can really decide.

I'm sure if this turns into another relative quality debate, they'll be a dozen(s) posts of "I can't see/hear the difference" but again, that's all "eye of the beholder" stuff. Just because "they" can't see/hear the difference doesn't mean that YOU can't see or hear the difference. OR, if you really can't see/hear the difference, then it doesn't matter much which format you buy. If you think the latter may apply, rent 1+ movies in both formats and see if you notice the difference in your own setup. If so, let your own knowledge of the differences vs. the convenience of one vs. the other be your guide.

Last edited:

Quotenfrau

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2011
If you actually want to OWN the movie, then buy the bluray disc and then rip it. Otherwise you can only watch the video on an iTunes authorized computer. .... Or you can rent the movie from RedBox and then rip it :)

DRM ******. We need to boycott iTunes Store because of that.

I recommend you BD.

pin87a

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2011
DRM ******. We need to boycott iTunes Store because of that.

I recommend you BD.

Technically speaking content purchased on Blu-Ray, DVD, and even VHS (macrovision) is protected by rights management technology that restricts the fair use of the purchased content. Blu-Ray and DVD copy protection is just easier to defeat at the moment.

Would need to boycott the entire movie industry to really fix the problem.
I'm sure Apple would gladly remove the DRM from their video files like they did with music a few years ago if they could.

I'm more annoyed by the fact that the iTunes content costs the same (or more) than physical media.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
I typically buy Blu-ray discs (they're almost always cheaper at Amazon), but I've started buying more iTunes Store content now that iCloud is available.

I like being able to download or watch a purchased movie anywhere. Seems like the future to me.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
New movies on BR, usually buy them used from GH for less than half the cost.
Old movies on DVD for really cheap; up conversion on most is just as good as their BR new release on almost all.

Safe House on BR is just $3 more on Amazon and you get more features, no download and better quality (I believe).

If Digital Versions would cost half of the BR versions then I could see myself buying digital movie media.

nateo200

macrumors 68030
Feb 4, 2009
Upstate NY
Buy the Blu-ray disc. AVC MPEG-4 with average bit rates of 20+mbps and a max bit rate of up to 35mbps not to mention DTS Master Audio and Dolby TrueHD sound tracks make a world of difference. I've been ripping DVDs, and Blu-rays since I was 11 or 12 and I can say that Blu-ray is a no compromise quality disc. Honestly the quality is TOO good for the average consumer to even appreciate.

Oracle1729

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2009
I've never bought video content from Apple. Why would I pay more for for a restricted download version than I would pay for the Blu Ray at Best Buy? With the blu ray, you get a better picture, magnificent sound which makes a huge difference to the experience (I spent more on my sound system than my TV), and when I'm tired of the movie, I can sell it or give it to a friend, effectively lowering my cost even more.

People actually pay to apple more for a vastly inferior download? I guess there's a lot of suckers in the world.

Last edited:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I typically buy Blu-ray discs (they're almost always cheaper at Amazon), but I've started buying more iTunes Store content now that iCloud is available.

I like being able to download or watch a purchased movie anywhere. Seems like the future to me.

I never thought I would buy movies from iTunes but now that I am packing to move, I have so many DVD's that are in the way. I also love the fact it's on iCloud now. It's so convenient that I can watch them anywhere and not worry that I accidentally scratched a disk or something. Lately, iTunes also been cheaper also with a lot of new releases.

chiefpavvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2008
Until the studios wake up and price digital content appropriately (given the very low distribution cost relative to the old days of physical media, packaging, and transportation) I will continue to purchase said physical media.

iTunes has specials from time to time and I have purchased a few items via iTunes but probably less than 1% of my collection. And it will remain that way until the studios wise up. (Apple doesn't set the prices...)

Zeke D

macrumors 65816
Nov 18, 2011
Arizona
If it is a pixar movie, I usually but the Blu-ray/DVD/Digital copy edition. If it is a movie the kids will like, I usually pick up the DVD and/or digital copy. Handbrake makes it pretty easy to rip DVDs, so if there was a movie (for my race and ethnic relations class, I had to watch Gran Torino, Malcolm X, American History X and The Great Debators) I purchased the DVDs for like $5 each, and used handbrake to make iPad versions.

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Blu Ray for two reasons. Quality is much better, even if I rip/encode it myself and don't want the restriction of only being able to play on Apple approved devices/software. The simple fact that I cannot play an iTunes purchased movie via PLEX on an Apple Mac Mini pisses me off to no end. The small effort to rip/encode is easily worth it.

saprahan

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2012
Moscow
I've bought blu-rays previous years, but then I fall in love with LAN media players. I have ATV3 as well as WD TV and have tested some others. Actually Blu-Ray still gives the ultimate quality, but the future is with the internet and broadband connections. I am sure internet media players will reach blu-ray quality when we get affordable 10GBit. Btw, here is an article about this.

Omne666

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
Like really....2012 and progressing...who 'wants' to actually have to store a stack, a bookshelf, or a cupboard full of physical based media? I'm still trying to find a sucker to offload my DVDs to!

The quality of BRs is a blast, but I'd rather the convenience of picking up the remote, pressing a few buttons, and relaxing to the HD digital version then getting up, finding what I want to see, going to the BR Player, inserting it, then returning to the couch and pressing the same few buttons.

Go digital!

AtomicEdge

macrumors regular
Mar 23, 2009
Yeah, I have ripped all of my DVD's, and while I have a few Blu-rays on the shelf, I would much rather just have 1080p video in the cloud I can stream when I want it.

The other day (after enjoying Avengers), I decided I wanted to get the Marvel movies from iTunes, and I was completely confused that I could only rent them in HD, and buy them in SD! Madness! I thought that I was misunderstanding something, but nope, only way to get them in HD, is to rent them from my AppleTV or iPad.

It's times like this when piracy becomes the easiest option. Not the right option, and I won't be downloading them illigally, but the easiest option would just be to download a full HD rip, then with 2 clicks convert it and add it to iTunes. The only legal way to own the video in HD in a digital format, is to buy the blu-ray and rip it, and then keep the physical disk. Which is a pain, as I am trying to get rid of my disks!

The whole thing is messed up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.