Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
I have 2 Apple TV 2's that don't show the long description for my movies or TV shows in the main window below the cover art. Both of them have the latest software and I am running the latest version of iTunes with the latest version of Lion.

What's funny is my iPad sees the long description just fine. In fact the ATV2's both show the long description if I pause a movie or show and press the up arrow twice. In iTunes, if I press the i in the description column, the long description shows up with the actors and directors.

I tried text in iTunes Description field and that shows up perfectly fine on the ATV. I tried that Apple script floating around the net to change the long description to match the description field but need it to go the other way around. I have way to many files to go back and add the description to each file considering the long description is there.

From what I read about an update on ATV, Apple supposedly fixed it to show the long description.

What am I missing or doing wrong?

benh911f

macrumors 6502
Mar 11, 2009
Unfortunately, the aTV doesn't display the entire description, which I hate. But it's nothing you're doing wrong.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
The problem is, it's not displaying any of the long description at all on the main window. Even when I copy and paste the long description into the 255 character description field in iTunes it at least displayed something.

The problem is, I have so many movies and tv shows, it would be a huge undertaking to add a short description to each title.

I'll do it though if that's my only choice.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
The problem is, it's not displaying any of the long description at all on the main window. Even when I copy and paste the long description into the 255 character description field in iTunes it at least displayed something.

The problem is, I have so many movies and tv shows, it would be a huge undertaking to add a short description to each title.

I'll do it though if that's my only choice.

I ended up doing all of my metadata in Subler. Seemed like the iTunes "Info" was a little flaky in what it displayed on the aTV. You still won't get a long description but you can do the short description. Took a while though.

NutFlush920

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 31, 2011
Yea, I use iFlicks. I do have Subler installed too. I may end up doing the short description though. Depends how ambitious I get. I have a lot if files to go through though.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Yea, I use iFlicks. I do have Subler installed too. I may end up doing the short description though. Depends how ambitious I get. I have a lot if files to go through though.

My process was basically to open the file in Subler, go to IMBD, find the movie then cut and paste their usually 2-3 line description in the the Description field in Subler. That turned out to be a lot easier than reading the long description and trying to paraphrase. And after all, when I'm sitting with my wife trying to pick out a movie to watch, she is not going to take the time and read a whole lot before moving on. Too long of a description means..."I don't want to watch that." But it depends on how anal you are about having all of the movie info tagged on you file. Personal choice.

Also, if you delete some of the aTV metadata fields in Subler it expands the description field in the aTV screen.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.