Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
Well, I have another Mac Mini running Snow Leopard as well as a MacBook and a MacBook Pro running Snow Leopard I could try it on. It's not too important to use it on this one, I just have a dual monitor setup for it and it would be more convenient.

Load Risk II on the SL Mac Mini and if it works properly (if it does not work on the SL Mac Mini keep trying your other MB and MBP until it works on one of them, and replace that computer's name as appropriate, in the instructions below):

1. Network the computers with ethernet or WiFi as appropriate.

2. On the SL Mac Mini turn on File Sharing and Screen Sharing. In Network pane of System Preferences write down your IP address.

3. On the Lion Mac Mini in the Finder in the GO menu drop down to Connect to Server and type in "vnc://192.168.0.101" but without the quotations marks and replace 192,168.1.101 with the IP of your SL Mac Mini and hit CONNECT.

4. At the next dialog box, enter the account name and password from your SL Mac Mini and log in.

You should now have a fully workable SL Mac Mini running Risk II on the same screen as your Lion Mac Mini; controlled by your Lion Mac Mini keyboard and mouse.

GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
adding to the mystery...

Here is their response to a message I sent to their Technical Support:

Risk II was designed and released for Mac OS Classic, which has not been in use for 10 years or so. I'm not sure if it will run on anything newer than 10.3.....most cases are specific to the game and the hardware configuration. Officially, we do not support Risk II anymore as it is a much older title.

Destineer/Macsoft Support

I guess you should be grateful for anything that works as it is on "borrowed time..."

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
using SheepShaver to run Classic Environment on Intel

OK: Here is another option!

Although you said that you have the OS X 10.1.5 version, if you can acquire the Classic Environment version (Amazon and eBay are sources), SheepShaver will run it in Lion. SheepShaver requires a Classic ROM and quite a bit of setup, but there is now a fully contained version, Chubby Bunny, available: Google the term "Classic-On-Intel v 4.0.1 chubby bunny"

Using SheepShaver, the Classic version of Risk II will play in Lion:

Here is some information on SheepShaver:

http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup

and

http://www.everymac.com/mac-answers/mac-os-9-classic-support-faq/run-macos-9-on-intel-macs.html

Here is some information on Chubby Bunny:

http://www.macwindows.com/OS9_on_Intel_Mac.html#092408b

and

http://hackthemac.blogspot.co.uk/2008/08/chubby-bunny-old-virtual-machine.html

and a review of the Macintosh version of Risk II:

http://www.atpm.com/7.07/risk-ii.shtml

and... I'm still working on a possible Lion solution for the OS X version...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 3.27.13 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 3.27.13 PM.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 141
  • Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 3.45.51 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-05-28 at 3.45.51 PM.png
    341.2 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
If rosetta works at all on your machine, it will work nearly as fast as natively, in a VM.

That said, the SL license prohibits VM use unless it is a copy of server.

I've written to apple requesting that they update the license for SL for this exact issue - ability to VM it to run SL / PPC only apps....

And yes if it was for classic, sheepshaver is an option. it runs just fine, and I've played diablo 2 in sheepshaver without issue.

----------

To game? No. It'd first be passed through a virtualized pc, then emulated from PPC to Intel. You'd have like 1 FPS. Dual boot w/ SL would be the easiest way.

That isn't how hardware assisted virtualization works.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
If rosetta works at all on your machine, it will work nearly as fast as natively, in a VM.

That said, the SL license prohibits VM use unless it is a copy of server.

I've written to apple requesting that they update the license for SL for this exact issue - ability to VM it to run SL / PPC only apps....

And yes if it was for classic, sheepshaver is an option. it runs just fine, and I've played diablo 2 in sheepshaver without issue.

That isn't how hardware assisted virtualization works.

I do not mean to be impertinent, but I have no idea what you are talking about; and when it comes to virtualization of snow leopard client, you don't either!

It is somewhat like having a conversation with someone who wants to tell you that using nuclear fission to generate electricity violates the laws of nature! Should they have waited for a letter from God before building San Onofre?

In the meantime, don't hold your breath waiting for that response by Apple!

In any event, getting back to the topic at hand: let me know when you are online, playing Risk II...

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
I do not mean to be impertinent, but I have no idea what you are talking about; and when it comes to virtualization of snow leopard client, you don't either!.

Uh, actually yes I do, i've done it. I'm VMware vSphere qualified, run their products since 1999, etc.

the license merely prohibits it, it is quite possible to virtualize SL and run rosetta apps in it - and modern x64 CPUs include VT instructions which, given enough memory make CPU bound apps almost as fast as native. So Rosetta should run virtually as fast as under a native install of SL.

Last edited:

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
I am not going to have a debate, here and now, about your claim that Snow Leopard's EULA prohibits virtualization unless it is SL Server.

Suffice it to say that NO ONE has ever pointed to any official writing by Apple that would bind their SL users, that supports such a claim.

We now return to your normal network programming: running Risk II in Lion!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
This was one of the games I had to find a way to play after updating to Lion...

I just went and found the Windows version of the game (its exactly the same) and stuck it in Wineskin and play it that way.

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011
This was one of the games I had to find a way to play after updating to Lion...

I just went and found the Windows version of the game (its exactly the same) and stuck it in Wineskin and play it that way.

Good solution for you! Have you tried Internet playing?

aarond12

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2002
Dallas, TX USA
Risk: Available on the iOS app store. Get it on your iPad. Stop trying to run a 12-year-old application on current-generation operating systems. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.