Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alehen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
I posted that picture at an "extreme" angle. What I meant was that the screen gets gradually purple.. In normal use circumstances, what happens is that my screen is never all white (actually yellow), no sweet spot, half of the screen is always slightly tinted.

Looks like your new iPad has yellow tint, which might get more whiter in about a week or so. It's never going to be as white as the iPad 2, because the new iPad just has a more warmer tint.

Also, the new iPad gets a lot dimmer than the iPad 2 at its lowest brightness setting. I think that is a good change, because I always found the iPad 2 too bright in a dark room.

I use my iPad to read, and at night the white page looks sepia. It bothers me, and at the smallest tilt the farther part of the screen gets red tint.. so I end up with half yellow, half reddish screen.. it bothers me so much

TyroneShoes2

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2011
This is actually normal for IPS displays.
Are we sure about this? I thought I had read where the IPS screens were not used in any of the iPads. IPS has had a number of upgrades over the last few years, at least according to Wikipedia, so this thinking might be out of date.

The advantage of IPS is precisely that it has few if any artifacts off-axis, compared to other LCD/LED displays. Modern Vizio TVs all (well, mostly) have IPS screens, and you have to get to about 165 degrees off axis before you have issues, and there is no angle-related hotspotting at all. Even well off axis the issues are not related to color tracking, but to the absolute black level, which washes out a bit (but nothing like conventional LCD/LED displays do).

I have the excellent Virtual Pool HD app, and for that app it makes sense to hold the iPad at extreme angles occasionally when lining up shots. On my original iPad 1, this attenuates the brightness significantly, but there is no apparent color shift nor is there any raising of the absolute black level. This is one of the reasons I got the iPad 3, so that there might be improvement in this area. And there is; at extreme angles it still exhibits the brightness attenuation (and still no color or contrast shift) but it attenuates the brightness significantly less.

IOW, I am not experiencing what the OP is experiencing, and the Apple Store should be able to give that customer the same level of quality that I got, which apparently he does not yet have.

If a viewer can put up with a view that is significantly off axis, they should also be able to put up with a minor washout of the absolute black level. Of course the OP's artifacts are more significant, but I think that rule still applies to a degree, at least for normal viewing.

My advice to the OP is to download the Virtual Pool HD app (everyone should have this app, BTW) which will give him a platform to demonstrate exactly why off-axis performance is important to him, to the Apple store. IOW, without a really good reason to view off axis, they may consider his complaint trivial. The Virtual Pool HD app demonstrates to all involved why his complaint may not be all that trivial.

The argument here then would be "Forget on-axis performance altogether. Apple approved and takes 70% of the revenue for this app, which encourages off-axis viewing to make full use of the app, so they should be willing to replace an iPad that does not live up to how this app typically performs off-axis on typical iPads".

Marli

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2011
OMG!!!

When viewed from the back my iPad has a silver nearly aluminum looking hew... Its that bad I can't see the icons... You would expect if you paid this much for a device you should be able to see the screen perfectly from both sides of the device.. Do you think Apple would replace it??

:-/

;)

88keydave

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2009
Mine is good

I have 64Gb and can turn it all the way sideways until I can't see the screen and don't notice any problems at any brightness setting.
Marli, use a mirror on the wall in front of you and that should help you see those icons once again. :D

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
I said this like 1000 times before. It's dumb sticking with LCD technology for so long. The plasma technology is light years ahead of LCD. The difference is so huge, like by good 200 years? Let's put it this way. If these idiots (whoever runs the tablet business) plan to stick with LCD for 400 years, then the plasma technology would be ahead by over 400 years. That's substantial.

The current new iPad (iPad 3) technology is worse than the early 1900's CRT tech.

That old CRT TV will have better viewing angle than the iPad 3. That thing is over 60 years old, and STILL has better viewing angles.

iPad 3 is as ancient has late 1800's tech. This is pathetic. I told you and told you and told you and told you to drop LCD altogether. I bet you $10,000 that iPad 5 will use LCD tech. I guarantee it.

Obviously you know much better how to bring products to market than Apple, Motorola, Samsung, etc. Please point me to your website so I can purchase your superior plasma display tablet.

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Hm, I think people have different definitions of "perfect". The guys on here who say that there are NO problems with their iPads when tilting them, could you confirm that you see NO COLOR SHIFT AT ALL near the edges? I find it a bit unlikely that some of the new iPads DON'T have that shift.

dsa1971

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Hm, I think people have different definitions of "perfect". The guys on here who say that there are NO problems with their iPads when tilting them, could you confirm that you see NO COLOR SHIFT AT ALL near the edges? I find it a bit unlikely that some of the new iPads DON'T have that shift.

I agree people have different ideas of perfect. I don't know if screen is perfect but I'm very happy with it. I have not run any tests, tilted to look for problems, looked for color shift problems, etc. But I do know that when I look at a web page, photos, games, etc. everything looks great and I'm happy with it.

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
I agree people have different ideas of perfect. I don't know if screen is perfect but I'm very happy with it. I have not run any tests, tilted to look for problems, looked for color shift problems, etc. But I do know that when I look at a web page, photos, games, etc. everything looks great and I'm happy with it.

True. Many here are completely obsessing over their screen. I think some of it has to do with the general super slick/smooth feel of the iPad. It just stands out to some when EVERYTHING is not completely perfect.
On a side node, I just used my Lenovo laptop and it's screen is HORRIBLE compared to the iPads's. Viewing angle is lousy, colours are WAY off and the whole screen is just muddy and unclear.
So maybe we should also appreciate the new iPad display sometimes (that said, of course Apple should not slack too much on the QC - which I think they do).

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
Obviously you know much better how to bring products to market than Apple, Motorola, Samsung, etc. Please point me to your website so I can purchase your superior plasma display tablet.

Never owned a plasma TV but am I right in thinking they are significantly heavier than an LCD? Hardly tablet worthy. Anyway this guys such an exaggerator. LCD in 1800s ? Sure, liquid crystals were probably discovered but displays not until very late 20th century

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
I have a horrible bleeding and a purple haze.. and the store is resisting to replace =[
The "purple haze" is because no-one has been making IPS panels with A-TW polarizers for a number of years now.

The panel in front does not have an A-TW polarizer (as with all modern IPS panels) whereas the panel behind is an older high-end NEC that does.
img2043x.jpg

(source: google images)

I said this like 1000 times before. It's dumb sticking with LCD technology for so long. The plasma technology is light years ahead of LCD. The difference is so huge, like by good 200 years? Let's put it this way. If these idiots (whoever runs the tablet business) plan to stick with LCD for 400 years, then the plasma technology would be ahead by over 400 years. That's substantial.

The current new iPad (iPad 3) technology is worse than the early 1900's CRT tech.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...612px-Television_set_from_the_early_1950s.jpg

That old CRT TV will have better viewing angle than the iPad 3. That thing is over 60 years old, and STILL has better viewing angles.

iPad 3 is as ancient has late 1800's tech. This is pathetic. I told you and told you and told you and told you to drop LCD altogether. I bet you $10,000 that iPad 5 will use LCD tech. I guarantee it.
It shouldn't need saying, but CRT technology is obviously completely unsuitable for use in any device like an iPad. (or a modern television)

Plasma technology is similarly unsuitable. Plasma displays are power hungry, suffer from burn-in/image retention with static images (which are common on the iPad) cannot have pixel sizes small enough even for a 1024x768 iPad, cannot cope with ambient light at all due to the deep cell structure required, are unsuitable for the display of computer imagery due to a lack of gradation capabilities (plasma cells can only be turned on or off, shades are created by pulsing the cells and using large amounts of dithering) plasma display suffer from flickering.

The only suitable alternative in the short-term future would be an OLED display, but they are also a lot dimmer than LCDs, draw far more power, are also susceptible to burn-in, suffer from their own uniformity problems, exceed the sRGB gamut and thus have inaccurate color on mobile devices, have yet to prove they can produce a display of comparable resolution & size of the iPad display. (anything using pentile is only 2/3 of its reported resolution)

The advantage of IPS is precisely that it has few if any artifacts off-axis, compared to other LCD/LED displays. Modern Vizio TVs all (well, mostly) have IPS screens, and you have to get to about 165 degrees off axis before you have issues, and there is no angle-related hotspotting at all. Even well off axis the issues are not related to color tracking, but to the absolute black level, which washes out a bit (but nothing like conventional LCD/LED displays do).
These advantages of IPS panels are grossly exaggerated, and IPS panels are very low contrast compared to other LCD technologies. IPS has been stagnant around 1,000:1 contrast for years now, whereas Sharp's UV2A panels are around 5,000:1 if I recall correctly. (and AUO claim their A-MVA5 panels can reach 16,000:1, though they have very limited viewing angles)

LCD in general is far from ideal, but it seems like the best available compromise for a device like the iPad.

The older iPad 2 panels were not without issues either, it's just that the problems the new panels have are more obvious when there's no more pixel structure on the display, and the panels seem to shift towards green off-axis rather than blue off-axis as my old iPad 2 did. (and most people don't notice shifts towards blue nearly as much)

I will say that I have no uniformity issues on my iPad 3, and I did have quite bad backlight bleeding on my iPad 2.

At the end of the day, it's still the best electronic display I've ever used for reading on. Any other display looks laughably low resolution in comparison.

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
The "purple haze" is because no-one has been making IPS panels with A-TW polarizers for a number of years now.

The panel in front does not have an A-TW polarizer (as with all modern IPS panels) whereas the panel behind is an older high-end NEC that does.
img2043x.jpg

It shouldn't need saying, but CRT technology is obviously completely unsuitable for use in any device like an iPad. (or a modern television)

Plasma technology is similarly unsuitable. Plasma displays are power hungry, suffer from burn-in/image retention with static images (which are common on the iPad) cannot have pixel sizes small enough even for a 1024x768 iPad, cannot cope with ambient light at all due to the deep cell structure required, are unsuitable for the display of computer imagery due to a lack of gradation capabilities (plasma cells can only be turned on or off, shades are created by pulsing the cells and using large amounts of dithering) plasma display suffer from flickering.

The only suitable alternative in the short-term future would be an OLED display, but they are also a lot dimmer than LCDs, draw far more power, are also susceptible to burn-in, suffer from their own uniformity problems, exceed the sRGB gamut and thus have inaccurate color on mobile devices, have yet to prove they can produce a display of comparable resolution & size of the iPad display. (anything using pentile is only 2/3 of its reported resolution)

These advantages of IPS panels are grossly exaggerated, and IPS panels are very low contrast compared to other LCD technologies. IPS has been stagnant around 1,000:1 contrast for years now, whereas Sharp's UV2A panels are around 5,000:1 if I recall correctly. (and AUO claim their A-MVA5 panels can reach 16,000:1, though they have very limited viewing angles)

LCD in general is far from ideal, but it seems like the best available compromise for a device like the iPad.

The older iPad 2 panels were not without issues either, it's just that the problems the new panels have are more obvious when there's no more pixel structure on the display, and the panels seem to shift towards green off-axis rather than blue off-axis as my old iPad 2 did. (and most people don't notice shifts towards blue nearly as much)

I will say that I have no uniformity issues on my iPad 3, and I did have quite bad backlight bleeding on my iPad 2.

At the end of the day, it's still the best electronic display I've ever used for reading on. Any other display looks laughably low resolution in comparison.

Excellent post.

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Hh, I must say that I do find the tinting of the display at angles a bit annoying
At the top my iPad gets a green tint and at the bottom a red. Anyone else has that?

alehen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Hh, I must say that I do find the tinting of the display at angles a bit annoying
At the top my iPad gets a green tint and at the bottom a red. Anyone else has that?

1st iPad - huge color uniformity issues, and some backlight bleeding. iPad would easily turn green at the slightest tilt

2nd iPad - screen was purple, and I had a huge backlight bleeding. and yes, horrible viewing angle, screen would get even more purple at the slightest tilt.

3rd iPad - the screen is warm, and yes, viewing angles are not as good as iPad 2, it gets a little green if I tilt, but it is a big improvement over the other two iPads. I'm keeping this one.

Mak47

macrumors 6502a
Mar 27, 2011
Harrisburg, PA
Oh my god! I bought my iPad on launch day and it's been great, or so I thought. After reading this thread I took a totally black photo, then turned my brightness all the way up, and then went to a pitch black room to view it sideways.

Straight on its fine, but if I tilt it, I see a tint. Green to the right, purple to the left. This is ridiculous! My iPad is now totally useless! I'm going to go throw a fit at the Apple store until they let me open 37 boxes of iPads and pick the best one.

Now that I know that under certain, very odd and specific conditions, my iPad looks like this--I can't possibly use it ever again. I can't believe I thought it was perfect, I was so wrong. With daily use for nearly three months, including editing hundreds of images, how could I have missed such an obvious defect?

--- I have to stop looking at the iPad threads. I'm leaving now, I need to find a suitable brick wall to bang my head against.

----------

...and don't even get me started on this masterpiece. Worse than early 1900's CRT? Seriously, what meds did you forget to take today?

mmo

macrumors member
Nov 30, 2008
Oh my god! I bought my iPad on launch day and it's been great, or so I thought. After reading this thread I took a totally black photo, then turned my brightness all the way up, and then went to a pitch black room to view it sideways.

Straight on its fine, but if I tilt it, I see a tint. Green to the right, purple to the left. This is ridiculous! My iPad is now totally useless! I'm going to go throw a fit at the Apple store until they let me open 37 boxes of iPads and pick the best one.

Now that I know that under certain, very odd and specific conditions, my iPad looks like this--I can't possibly use it ever again. I can't believe I thought it was perfect, I was so wrong. With daily use for nearly three months, including editing hundreds of images, how could I have missed such an obvious defect?

--- I have to stop looking at the iPad threads. I'm leaving now, I need to find a suitable brick wall to bang my head against

Hehe, I see where you are coming from, but the tinting IS a bit too much. I am certainly not going to replace mine over it, but I do think it shouldn't be there...
That said, I agree that this board has a tendency to be too focused on nitpicking instead of enjoying the devices.

mark28

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2010

--- I have to stop looking at the iPad threads. I'm leaving now, I need to find a suitable brick wall to bang my head against.

----------

...and don't even get me started on this masterpiece. Worse than early 1900's CRT? Seriously, what meds did you forget to take today?

The poster is correct, LCD suck in terms of picture quality. CRT is much better despite it being old tech. Newer doesn't mean always better.

alehen

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2011
Ok I lied. I can't live with a yellow screen and a horrible viewing angle even at the dimmest light and straightest angle. I am going to return the new iPad and forget that there is a third generation iPad.

mattwestside

macrumors member
Sep 3, 2009

img2043x.jpg

Definitely one of the best posts I've read on any forum in quite some time. Thank you for sharing your knowledge on screen-tech. I just got rid of my Galaxy Tab 7.7 - the one with the Super AMOLED Plus display - because it suffered from screen 'burn-in'/image retention of the Android/Honeycomb status bar and signal strength/battery icons, not to mention uneven 'inky' artifacts on black backgrounds, which was distracting especially considering the selling/marketing aspects of a 'true black' screen.

I bought my iPad 3 this week and the screen brightness is uniform, but I do notice the pink tinting when watching movies in bed, which I thought was a form of backlight bleed. Thanks to this post I am more aware of the iPad panel's...characteristics...and will stop worrying about a defective screen.

I do wish, however, that Apple would include a screen calibrator the way Samsung does with its Android tablets; the iPad 3 is much warmer than my GTab 7.7 and old iPad 2, which makes an all-white screen look creamy in comparison, and is something my eyes are having a hard time getting used to. I am also aware of the irony of selling a Samsung product and replacing it with a competitor that uses Samsung displays. :)

BluePhoenixRa

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
I actually have viewed my iPad from the angle for a lot of reasons..and everything looks the same from anywhere I look at it. :/
It's stupid that the store won't change it up. :/

daantje22

macrumors member
Nov 6, 2012
Netherlands
my ipad 3&4 do exactly the same and i was wondering if it was normal
No one i know have this issue with there ipad's

my does it only when the screens turning black

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0060.jpg
    IMG_0060.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 76
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.