Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Anti-Lucifer

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Here's my result - the drive has been operational for about 7 months:
(this is with the 5GB read/write test)

screenshot20120421at101.png

ebd.i.am

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Yeah but garbage collection should also work good right?

The TRIM commands are special for the Apple drives with their custom firm wares. I had a OCZ vertex 3 and TRIM was no success = BEACHBALLS

From my understanding garbage collection is a good start but TRIM is better.

Also, Vertex drives are junk. Their reliability are hit 'n miss. Like I said, I've had TRIM enabled for months on my 830. No beachballs or hangs.

fotizgt

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2012
using 830 128gb

I recently purchased mac mini 2011 i5 2.3ghz and upgraded with 8gb ram from samsung. Yesterday i add the samsung 830 128gb. Turned on Trim enabler 2.1.
All stuff is blazing fast and works very good!

jim0266

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2009
Trim enabled by default

Installed the Samsung 830 into my Mac Pro Tower running 10.6.8. It came with the latest firmware. I was surprised to see "TRIM Support: Yes" when I checked. I did not enable TRIM. Previously I was running two X-25M's (first gen) in a Raid 0 setup on this mac.

SDAVE

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2007
Nowhere
Installed the Samsung 830 into my Mac Pro Tower running 10.6.8. It came with the latest firmware. I was surprised to see "TRIM Support: Yes" when I checked. I did not enable TRIM. Previously I was running two X-25M's (first gen) in a Raid 0 setup on this mac.

I thought Snow Leopard didn't support Trim?

weird.

When I did a fresh Lion install with the 830, Trim was not on by default. I turned it on with the Trim Tool and then I turned it off, didn't see a need for it.

It's been running beautifully!.

Tony N.

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
I just ordered one off of Buydig.com for $225! $25 more than the Crucial M4 for faster writes, more IOPS and better reliability!

I'm returning the crappy Crucial M4 due to random beachball/freezing during intensive use (i.e. installing CS6 or Logic Pro). I hope this drive is what it's hyped to be. ;)

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
Hello, does anyone have this SSD on Macbook pro mid 2009?
Any problem with negotiated link speed and Nvidia MCP79 ACHI ?

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
Hello, does anyone have this SSD on Macbook pro mid 2009?
Any problem with negotiated link speed and Nvidia MCP79 ACHI ?

I have this SSD in an MBP mid-2009, and there are no problems with negotiated link speeds. The only thing is that you are limited to SATA II speeds (because of the hardware limitation on the MBP).

svkrzn

macrumors regular
Dec 8, 2009
Australia
I have this SSD in an MBP mid-2009, and there are no problems with negotiated link speeds. The only thing is that you are limited to SATA II speeds (because of the hardware limitation on the MBP).

That's not a problem. The fact is that i read googling here and there that some people have 3gb link speed and only 1,5 negotiated.
That's why i was asking about that.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
That's not a problem. The fact is that i read googling here and there that some people have 3gb link speed and only 1,5 negotiated.
That's why i was asking about that.

At least for me, the negotiated speed is 3gb, so yours should work just fine.

C0SM0

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
I'm planning to order the 256GB Samsung 830 for my early 2011 13-inch mbp, and I was wandering which version I need. Newegg has 2 versions: 1) a bare version that just includes the drive and software, and 2) a notebook upgrade kit that also includes a data transfer cable and spacer.

Will I need to use the spacer for my install? If not, I'll probably order the bare drive, since I plan to do a fresh install of Lion and have no need for the USB cable. The bare version is also a little cheaper (and currently in stock).

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help.

snowman1

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2010
I'm planning to order the 256GB Samsung 830 for my early 2011 13-inch mbp, and I was wandering which version I need. Newegg has 2 versions: 1) a bare version that just includes the drive and software, and 2) a notebook upgrade kit that also includes a data transfer cable and spacer.

Will I need to use the spacer for my install? If not, I'll probably order the bare drive, since I plan to do a fresh install of Lion and have no need for the USB cable. The bare version is also a little cheaper (and currently in stock).

What do you think?

Thanks in advance for your help.

The bare version will work just fine because spacers are NOT needed. Enjoy your purchase! :)

C0SM0

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2009
Thanks for the reply. I'll go ahead with the bare drive then. I really can't wait to see the difference an ssd makes first hand:)

Tony N.

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2011
I just installed the 830 256GB in my Early 2011 MBP. It's great!

I was experiencing constant freezing during heavy usage with the Crucial M4, but this drive is chewing everything I throw at it. Installing CS6 was a breeze and I did not experience a single beachball.

These are definitely the drives to get for MBP.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2011
I'm currently using a 512GB in a 2011 Mac mini and a 256GB in Seagate GoFlex Pro enclosure with Seagate Thunderbolt GoFlex 2.5" adapter on a 2011 MacBook Pro. I use the external for Windows 7 Boot Camp. I was able to boot from an external and enable AHCI. This drive is amazingly fast as the Windows 7 Boot Camp starts nearly as fast as OSX Lion on a 480GB OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 6G.

Does anyone notice a whine with the 512GB version? Much higher pitch electronic whine when under load. Not sure if it's the controller or drive. Obviously, it was only audible when the drive was external.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
im planing to get Samsung 830\256GB for my MBP 5,5 (2009 ?), C2D 2.53GHz, OSX 10.6.7
i was checking in Amazon and it looks like there are 3 models -
MZ-7PC256D/EU , MZ-7PC256N/EU , MZ-7PC256B/WW
does anyone know what the difference between them ?
and after im getting it, should i enable the trim with TrimEnabler 2.1 , or not ?

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
im planing to get Samsung 830\256GB for my MBP 5,5 (2009 ?), C2D 2.53GHz, OSX 10.6.7
and after im getting it, should i enable the trim with TrimEnabler 2.1 , or not ?

D = desktop (comes with 3.5" mount bracket)
N = notebook (comes with sata to usb attachment to transfer backups)
B = basic (only drive without bracket or usb attachment. cheaper price)

Don't have the answer to the "EU/WW" or TrimEnabler.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Desktop kit, laptop kit, and bare drive in that order. You don't need any of the brackets or anything in the kits, so get the bare drive. You can use the kit model also if it is cheaper and just not use the brackets. The drive itself is the same in all three.

Opinions vary on TRIM. Newer drives do a pretty good job of managing this themselves with their built in garbage collection. Hacking a core system file to enable TRIM just worries me a little. That said, many users are running the hack without problems.

If it were me, I would run without TRIM and see if over time you notice write speed slow downs.

geta

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2010
The Moon
Desktop kit, laptop kit, and bare drive in that order. You don't need any of the brackets or anything in the kits, so get the bare drive. You can use the kit model also if it is cheaper and just not use the brackets. The drive itself is the same in all three.

Opinions vary on TRIM. Newer drives do a pretty good job of managing this themselves with their built in garbage collection. Hacking a core system file to enable TRIM just worries me a little. That said, many users are running the hack without problems.

If it were me, I would run without TRIM and see if over time you notice write speed slow downs.

Tnx for the answer and clearing up the trim issue, i'll get the cheapest version i can find and use it without trim in the beginning and take it from there.

Retzius

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
Hi guys I just bought my Samsung 830 256gb SSD for my mid 2009 mbp. I did a fresh intall of OSX Lion last night and used migration assistant to transfer everything over. In the process I created two user accounts that I will fix later. The process was pretty straight forward. I plan to use winclone for my boot camp partition. I might consider an optical hd as well. I am going to monitor my read/write speeds and decide if I want to enable TRIM.

The drives does feel more zippy and I have less spinning beach balls. I opened up iPhoto which always had a spinning beach ball on my old hd and it still showed a beach ball but was much less. Of course, I am still running on 2gb of ram. I am going to order 8GB of ram this week.

I will test it out and see how I like my upgraded mbp. I am also considering buying a new mbp if I am impressed with the release. I figure I can reuse my ssd and give the ram to my wife's mbp.

bvanlieu

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2008
The drives does feel more zippy and I have less spinning beach balls. I opened up iPhoto which always had a spinning beach ball on my old hd and it still showed a beach ball but was much less. Of course, I am still running on 2gb of ram. I am going to order 8GB of ram this week.

I will test it out and see how I like my upgraded mbp. I am also considering buying a new mbp if I am impressed with the release. I figure I can reuse my ssd and give the ram to my wife's mbp.

Oh dear...2G? Yeah you want that 8G kit. It is first on the list before SSD :)

You likely are paging a bit. Usually you see the value of the SSD in the number of bounces from click to use for apps. Most of mine are a single bounce post 830 install on my 2010 SATAII MBP :D

TRIM is very much optional from my experience. I ran without TRIM for 6 months with the 830 and had consistent AJAX tests of 200 MB/s R/W. For giggles I enabled TRIM last week and well...I get 200 MB/s R/W :D

- b

Retzius

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2009
Oh dear...2G? Yeah you want that 8G kit. It is first on the list before SSD :)

You likely are paging a bit. Usually you see the value of the SSD in the number of bounces from click to use for apps. Most of mine are a single bounce post 830 install on my 2010 SATAII MBP :D

TRIM is very much optional from my experience. I ran without TRIM for 6 months with the 830 and had consistent AJAX tests of 200 MB/s R/W. For giggles I enabled TRIM last week and well...I get 200 MB/s R/W :D

- b
Haha, yeah I know I did the upgrades backwards but I have already ordered my 8gb crucial memory from newegg. I am going to try the blackmagic disc test before and after I get my memory.

Its good to know you did not lose any R/W without TRIM. Did you use the command terminal to turn TRIM on? What exactly did you use, there is a lot of conflicting info out there. Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.