Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

9to5Mac reports that iPhone repair firm iFixyouri has received information on a new part claimed to be the rear shell for the next-generation iPhone. The part is reportedly made of an aluminum alloy that integrates both the rear panel and sides for the device.

iphone_5_rear_shell_black.jpg

Notably, the part is relatively consistent with previous claims that the next-generation iPhone would integrate a "metal panel" to the center section of the device's back, but in reality the panel appears to simply be a different finish applied to that portion of the casing.

With the part also including the device's edges, a port for a smaller dock connector can also be seen, as well as larger speaker and microphone grills. The part's source claims that Apple will take advantage of the space freed up by shrinking the dock connector to enhance speaker performance in the next-generation iPhone.

Finally, the supplier claims that the part is showing up not only in black and white, but also in two other unspecified colors, although it is unclear whether those colors would make it to final production.

Update: The part appears to show the headphone jack being on the bottom of the device as on the current iPod touch, rather than along the top edge as found on all iPhone models to date. That observation would fit with a recent part leak of what was claimed to be the headphone jack and earpiece. But many observers suggested that the center feature on that part looks more like a dock connector than an earpiece assembly. Moving the headphone jack to the bottom of the device would explain the layout of this component.

iphone_5_headphone_jack_earpiece_cable.jpg

Update 2: Repair firm uBreakiFix has also received photos of what may be the same part in white. The "iPhone" font on the shell appears to be somewhat suspicious, seemingly of a lighter stroke and/or looser spacing between the letters. But otherwise the part appears identical to the previously-posted part, which seems to carry a more typical "iPhone" typeface.

iphone_5_rear_shell_white_bottom.jpg

Article Link: Claimed Rear Shell with Sides for Next-Generation iPhone Surfaces [Updated x2]

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Heck yeah, we're getting all kinds of leaks today, lol.

2 weeks until iOS 6! So excited to hear whats coming from Apple.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Please don't just be a taller screen!! Keep the same aspect ratio or don't bother!!!

BlindGoldfish

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2010
It sort of looks like they decreased the top/bottom bezel size to accommodate a larger screen. Makes sense and looks pretty good to me.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
Also looks like the headphone port is on the bottom too with all of the new found space from a shrunken dock connector.

number9

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2004
USA
It sort of looks like they decreased the top/bottom bezel size to accommodate a larger screen. Makes sense and looks pretty good to me.

How does the back of the phone tell you what the bezel/screen size on the front of the phone will look like? Unless you're assuming the center "panel" shown here mimics the screen size on the front.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Looks like this thing is coming out at the end of June...

Guess fall will be the 7" iPad release then.

Macdude2010

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2010
The Apple Store
I think this could be the final design, but I think before it makes an appearance with the next generation iPhone, it is going to have to be finished better, I think if this is anything, it is a rough prototype

Vctr

macrumors regular
May 24, 2012
The headphone jack on the bottom is... odd.

The headphone jack on the bottom makes the most sense from a usability standpoint.

When I listen to music and use my iPhone 4 at the same time, the cord gets in the way of the screen sometimes because of the fact that the headphone jack is at the top. Put the headphone jack on the bottom, and this is no longer an issue.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Finally, the supplier claims that the part is showing up not only in black and white, but also in two other unspecified colors, although it is unclear whether those colors would make it to final production.

If this reliable supplier claims its 'black and white', why can't he specify the other two colors ?

Is he color blind? It's a very strange statement/claim to be making!! :confused:

anti-microsoft

macrumors 68000
Dec 15, 2006
Edinburgh, Scotland
The black bits look like glass... It looks a but strange. The speaker grills have changed and the headphone jack on the bottom looks odd.

I'm sure it will look good in person. Jony Ive and his team know what they are doing.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
How does the back of the phone tell you what the bezel/screen size on the front of the phone will look like? Unless you're assuming the center "panel" shown here mimics the screen size on the front.
Bingo.

Also, you can tell the top and bottom bezel is decreased by looking at the circuitry in the picture on the right hand side. The black bars on the back of the phone will line up with the bezel on the front of the phone. Symmetry.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.