Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mamba4590

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
Hey guys, I bought a apple component av cable from amazon and it works well so I can stream pandora and other type of audio to my car.. The issue is when I try to play a video I can hear sound but since the cable is meant for the tv I get the black screen that says its playing on tv.. Is there any way around this? Or which other cable can I buy that can charge my iPad and play audio through the 30 pin connector..

I know some of you will say why don't I use a the audio through the 3.55 mm jack and charge it with a regular iPad charger but I don't want too many cable around in the car.. Thanks

TheKricket

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Hey guys, I bought a apple component av cable from amazon and it works well so I can stream pandora and other type of audio to my car.. The issue is when I try to play a video I can hear sound but since the cable is meant for the tv I get the black screen that says its playing on tv.. Is there any way around this? Or which other cable can I buy that can charge my iPad and play audio through the 30 pin connector..

I know some of you will say why don't I use a the audio through the 3.55 mm jack and charge it with a regular iPad charger but I don't want too many cable around in the car.. Thanks

What type of headunit / monitor system are you using in your car? In my car, for example, my headunit had a system setup whereby video would only play if the car was in park. I was able to bypass this, however, without that bypass - I would get the same thing (audio but no video).

Perhaps your headunit has some sort of safety feature?

Mamba4590

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 13, 2010
What type of headunit / monitor system are you using in your car? In my car, for example, my headunit had a system setup whereby video would only play if the car was in park. I was able to bypass this, however, without that bypass - I would get the same thing (audio but no video).

Perhaps your headunit has some sort of safety feature?

I don't think it has a safty feature because it's just connected to a auxilary port.. I just used an adapter to connect the apple av cable to it.l

TheKricket

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
I don't think it has a safty feature because it's just connected to a auxilary port.. I just used an adapter to connect the apple av cable to it.l

Have you tried playing a video with the car in park?

Even if it's an AUX input - chances are, the video will be blocked unless the car is in Park (unless you've bypassed that feature)...

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
guys this has nothing to do with the car being in park. its an ipad connected to the old video cable which means the ipad is trying to send the video signal to the video outputs which he doesnt have connected. I believe the dock outputs audio digitally so you will need a converter to get sound out of the dock connector. best way to do it is like you said and use 2 cables.

----------

check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mhj8S7bhquk

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
You need either one of these (eBay)

400279248470 (non powered)

260741328797 (powered)

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
You need either one of these (eBay)

400279248470 (non powered)

260741328797 (powered)

why do they make the actual dock connecter so huge on these? Dont they realize most people want to mount (atleast ipads) flush. they all should come with apple sized dock connecters with the cable coming out of the side.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
There is nothing to stop you making your own. The pin outs are readily avalible online.

CrAkD

macrumors 68040
Feb 15, 2010
Boston, MA
There is nothing to stop you making your own. The pin outs are readily avalible online.

yeah I know. Im pretty good with most technical stuff. (building computers, installing car stereos etc.) but my soldering skills are suspect dont really want to chance frying a new iphone or ipad.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
yeah I know. Im pretty good with most technical stuff. (building computers, installing car stereos etc.) but my soldering skills are suspect dont really want to chance frying a new iphone or ipad.

http://store.soundmancaraudio.com/ipad-parts/90-degree-passthrough/

Allows for flush mounting ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.