Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Earlier today, Japanese blog Mac Otakara pointed to a blog post [Google translation] from repair firm iLab Factory showing what is claimed to be a design schematic for a next-generation iPhone front panel part. The schematic appears to correspond closely with part photos that leaked yesterday, showing a taller display and a shift in the position of the FaceTime camera to above the device's earpiece.

But while iLab Factory's version of the schematic has had many of the details blurred out, another source has provided MacRumors with a complete version of the schematic including measurements for several of the important features on the panel. The schematic appears to have been originally posted by Cydia Blog.

Click for larger
Most notably, the "active area mask" corresponding to where the device's display will be attached measures 90.1 mm (3.55 in) high and 51.42 mm (2.02 in) wide. This corresponds to an opening measuring approximately 4.08 inches diagonally, but iPhone viewable display areas have historically measured slightly smaller than their corresponding front panel openings. Consequently, this part would seem to nicely accommodate a display measuring 4 inches diagonally at an aspect ratio of roughly 16:9, in line with rumors of and evidence for a taller screen that maintains the width of the current model.

The schematic does not show an exact total height for the part in question, but calculations based on pixel counts and the known height of the display mask area suggest that the overall height of the part is roughly 122 mm, approximately 7 mm taller than the overall height of the iPhone 4S. With yesterday's leaked photos suggesting that the design will see a similar treatment to the iPhone 4/4S with metal edges of the device extending out further than the front panel, the overall device height and width on the next-generation iPhone would measure slightly larger than seen on this part.

Article Link: Schematic Purportedly Shows Next-Generation iPhone Front Panel Design with 4-Inch Display

timirving

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
I like

Personally I like this. I don't want my phone to be much bigger than it is right now. I have friends with android phones and some of their phones seem way too big.

Widashy

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
Yeah, I'd say the details are falling into place.

Only question, really, remaining for me is June/July or September/October?

I always believed the fall, but with so much slipping by, could it be earlier?

This time all rumors are consistent with each other. The resolution, screen size, leaked panels and now the schematics.

EDIT: Although leaked parts are showing up but wall street reported only a month ago about 4" screen sized iPhone, so it is safe to assume it's still in testing phase.

Ciclismo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Germany
Consequently, this part would seem to nicely accommodate a display measuring 4 inches diagonally at an aspect ratio of roughly 16:9, in line with rumors of and evidence for a taller screen that maintains the width of the current model.

Top candidate for "Most awkward sentence of the week" award.

Santabean2000

macrumors 68000
Nov 20, 2007
I hope it comes soon... the Samsung Galaxy S3 looks sweet...

Will be an interesting comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.