Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I wish I had a pic. It was a Commodore 64 with a really cool tape drive that didn't take forever to load some dumb game.

Lil Chillbil

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 30, 2012
California
My familys first computer was a dell dimension it was slow and constantly got viruses but I loved that old piece of pc ****

But my computers I treated like royalty and here is a list of computers and the time they served me for
desktop / portable
Quadra 610 2006-2008 powerbook 100 2007-2011
Performa 6400/200 2008-2010 powerbook 3400c 2011-2012
Bondi-blue imac g3 2010-2011 powerbook g4 2012-
Power Mac g3 2011-2011
indigo imac g3 2011-2011
Blue g4 tower 2011-2012
Power Mac G5 2012-

Last edited:

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Mac SE. Won it from Apple in a sales contest. I sold a ton of Apple //gs' to get it. Still works.

Attachments

• IMG_0272.jpg
    IMG_0272.jpg
    827.5 KB · Views: 382

suburbia

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2008
My very first Mac-- and computer was the infamous iMac (Revision B) in 1999, exactly 13 years ago.

I've been using Mac ever since, but can't say I'm a fan anymore. I still use Mac, but the monster corporation that Apple has turned into is a complete turnoff for me. I really appreciated that once upon a time, my Apple computers stated "Designed and made in California". And I loved that Apple had genuinely creative and clever advertising like "Think Different", and that Apple products were not available so widely. I appreciated the exclusivity of the brand.

Mochi Hana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2010
Texas
My first computer was a Compaq that my dad got from work. Unfortunately I was little so I don't remember the specs, but I do remember using it taught me a lot about computers and how they work.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
my first laptop was an old toshiba with a gig of RAM when I got it it was the best machine out there:D
Then I got my first iPhone which was a 3gs then started going to the apple website,Saw mac click don it then saw they sold badass laptops with a much better looking OS,Then as a birthday present my dad got me a easy 2011 baseline MBP love it to bits:D

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
My first was a PC built by a local computer store, handed down to me when I was six from my grandfather when he upgraded. I don't really recall the specs, but I know it was old enough that it had a 5 1/14 floppy in it, and ran Windows 95. :D

Had a blast on that machine, played educational game after (not so) educational game on that thing. Never had an issue with it either. Used it all the way up until I received a brand new HP with Windows XP for my 10th birthday. It still exists, it's in my parents garage somewhere, but it ceased operation when I decided to tinker with it... you see where this is going. :eek:

My intorduction to Macs came from my first elementary school, where they had just purchased some brand spankin' new Rev. A iMac G3s. They had a ton of of other older Mac models throughout the school, PowerMac AIO's, Pizza Box LC's, all the way down to a few Apple II models. I was very intrigued by how different they were from what I had grown up with at that point, and well, the rest is history.

adalbert123

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2012
It was Sinclair's ZX81 that was B&W, no sound and had to be hooked up to the TV. Came with no tape which ment software then nor the manual which meant to be able to write your own soft in basic:) Had basic commands written on keys though which forced me to figure somehow out how to code in basic. Guess helped with English too. Next I had zx spectrum (sound & color) arrive. About that time I saw first macs on TV. Fell in love from the very beginning. So when I had the first chance - got me a plus first and then SE. After that came the whole bunch of those beige, gray, black, white & aluminum ones:) But the story came to its very beginning. I again do have - zx spectrum, zx81 and... the plus (going back to life) and perfectly working se. And I love'em.

g8rduc

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
Florida
This will be fun...here's my computer history:

First Computer: Coleco Adam (made by ColecoVision). Z80 Assembly language computer that booted into a Word processor. Had a High Speed tape drive that truly was high speed...so fast it would consistently throw the tape off of the track. Had a catridge interface to play coleco games, had a 5-1/4" floppy drive, two tape drives, a 300bps modem, Atari 2600 adaptor, Smart BASIC (compatible with Apple Basic), Smart LOGO, tons of music programs and games. 80kb of RAM, 3.5MHz processor.

Second Computer was a C64. No need to describe that one :)

Third Computer was a Commodore Amiga 1000 followed by a 2000. Loved those machines. First computer to truly multitask and had a great graphics card.

Was always Anti-IBM (then Windows) and soon followed up the Amigas with some Apples...

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Apple ][ - serial number 4546 purchased June 22, 1978 for $1225. I opted for the huge 16k model (the standard was only 4k). No disk drive existed yet. Used my own cassette recorder and TV set with an RF modulator as a display.

Those were the days. :)

daniel-b

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2012
My first computer was a TI994/A in the mid 80s.

This was followed by a succession of Sinclair Spectrums, a Sinclair QL, an Atari ST (still in the attic) and several PCs.

I first encountered Macs at work in the mid 90s, where I was an IT manager, responsible for a network of about 50 Macs.

The first Mac I owned was a second-hand Powerbook Duo 230, which I still have (it works but its power supply recently exploded). In 1999 I bought a new iBook, which I also still have (it still works like new, but could use a new battery).

davidg4781

macrumors 68030
Oct 28, 2006
Alice, TX
My first was a DOS based generic brand PC my parents bought when I was in 4th or 5th grade... I think around 1990 maybe?

I remember it was 12MHz in turbo mode, 8MHz in standard, 80286 processor, but I don't remember any of the other specs, except it did have a 5 1/4" drive, possibly a 3.5" too. We did get a program called AutoMenu to have all the programs in a GUI instead of typing in DOS. Mom didn't like it... I think. Dad and I used to stay up late figuring out how to add stuff to the menus. We had some games and after a couple of years bought a mouse.

My parents separated and divorced a few years after and we kept the PC. It lasted all the way through high school graduation, although aside from playing Police Quest 3 and Commander Keen every now and then, it was rarely used. I think I upgraded it when my mom got a used computer from work.

When I started college I built a Windows 98SE PC and then again a few years later when I actually moved away. By then, internet was around and I started really getting in to doing everything I can to make it run as smooth as possible. Weekly Spybot S&D cleanings, anti-virus updated yearly, going through and changing settings and such, and while it was fun, I hated having to do all that.

2005 came along and a friend started telling me about Apple. I had heard of them, but at the time, I was a die hard Windows/AMD fanboy. in 2006 when I started a new semester, I "decided" having a laptop would make my life so much easier. So between classes, I hopped in my car, drove an hour to CompUSA, and bought a brand new 2006 MacBook along with Office 2004. Ever since then, I've been hooked.

Just an example of why I love OS X.. I was hanging out with my dad and step mom yesterday. She was complaining about her Android phone dying so fast and dad told her she needed to get a task killer app. I said get an iPhone and don't worry about that stuff. Later she mentioned she runs a registry cleaner on her Windows Vista Laptop weekly to keep it running smooth. And I'm thinking how nice my 2006 MacBook still runs and the only upkeep I have to do to it is restart it whenever I download an update or take it while traveling. Maybe I can get them converted.

Mom's still using my PC I built in 2003 and hates it. I let her use my 2010 MBP and she loved how smooth it was and how easy it was to use. I'm hoping to get her a Mac Mini whenever the used prices start going down. Right now they're pretty close to a new model and that might be a bit much for her to play Facebook games.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Post a pic and tell a story about your first computer. And how it shaped you to be the Mac fan you are today

No pics. My first computer was a Z80 based system that ran CP/M. The Z80 was an 8-bit CPU that ran at 4Mhz. I used it for software projects in collage and word processing. It was actually a very useful system. I think I got in in 1979 or 1980.

Firsrt Mac is a "512K Mac" with no hard drive, had dual floppy disks.

mike457

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2010
Ontario
My first was a Sanyo in the late '80s. Someone donated a new one to the school I was working at. I'd sworn up to that time that I'd never use a computer, but I quickly decided it was both convenient and cool to have electronic copies of my marks and copies of any test I prepared. It then became an easy matter just to update the documents when I wanted a new test. I bought one for home to match the one at the school. It had two 5 1/4" floppies. You would load DOS (I think it was DOS3) into one drive, boot the computer, replace the DOS disk with your programme disk, put your data disk in the other drive, and go to work. The programmes were Wordstar, Datastar, and Calcstar in those far-off days. I then tended to switch computers roughly every year and half, building my own for the most part, and selling the old one to help pay for the new. I have "fond" recollections of learning how to load drivers into upper memory, having to reinstall Windows every year or so because I'd screwed it up by installing some new programme, defraging disks, wondering what had gone wrong, and trying to figure out where the virus had come from.
I switched to a Mac in 2003. I helped a friend move from system 9 to OS X, and I thought it looked really cool. I bought a second-hand Cube, figuring it would be easy to resell if I decided I didn't like it. However, I loved it and resented having to use Windows at work. I did everything you could do to that Cube, upgrading the hard drive, the DVD burner, the CPU, the video card, and the VRM. I sold it so that I could afford a G5 tower, and have been through several iMacs since then. I now own a Cube again (with only minor upgrades to the video card and an SSD), along with an i7 iMac and an i5 mini, and am amazed to find how capable a pretty basic Cube still is.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
My first computer was a Commodore 128 with dual 1571 drives, a 3.5" floppy drive, RAM Link, and running GEOS 2.0. First Mac was a Macintosh Plus.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Oh man, there's so many stories about my love of Apple/Macs.

So, when my dad immigrated from Mexico to Texas in the early 80's, he worked at a couple of different jobs, then ended up at a private school. They used Apple computers and he used to set them up and make sure they were on every morning. He really, really liked them. One day he found some of the stickers that came in one of the boxes, and because he really liked that colorful Apple logo, put one on the front of his checkbook (and everywhere he went, they'd ask him if he worked at Apple). So my dad was pretty much an original fanboy. :D. If I had been a guy, I would have actually been named after Steve Jobs funnily enough.

My first computer was one of the Apple II models they threw out years later. I used to play this Garfield game and a few others on it. It's been 21 years now so my memory is pretty vague. I also used to use a paint program on it that looked exactly like MacPaint, but wasn't. All I remember is that if you didn't have a disk in there, it loaded that instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPTHipostuc&feature=relmfu

But then my dad got rid of it replacing it with DOS and PC machines that they had at his next job (we never bought computers ourselves except two, but we've had at least 50) and I didn't see a Mac again until we used to go to my cousin's/uncle's house for parties every weekend. He had like a Macintosh II or something that I used to use Kid Pix and this math program on from like 7PM to like almost 6 in the morning while I waited for my parents to sober up. Sadly it stopped working after a few years.

Like a year after that, a friend of ours had graduated from college and moved back home. Her dad brought us a computer that my dad had loaned to them a few years beforehand. It was the 180c in my signature. Apparently someone had left it in a closet at school and it never was claimed. So she took it, used it, and brought it back in one piece. Using that thing to get on the internet was so cool, and when I found out it had color, it was even better. Sadly, it never got much use and went into the garage where the battery exploded. I refuse to throw it out though. :p

When I got into a photography a few years later, the PowerPC G5 machines in the lab blew my mind. Little did I know that years later I would end up with one of these beautiful machines, along with the G3s the school threw out. I still love using it as much as I did back then.

I didn't get to actually buy a Apple computer of my own until 2006, but I made up my mind then that I would never buy another brand of computer every again.

And that's pretty much my story. Sadly no pictures though.

BlastoiseBlue

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2012
My first computer ever was my Commodore 64. I still have the computer itself as well as the original monitor that came with it from the store, (Not Commodore branded, but period correct) but I don't have any of the cables... I remember when I was young I used to always love playing Dark Castle on it. :3

kaielement

macrumors 65816
Dec 16, 2010
A crappy dell running windows 98..... It was so bad and forgettable I don't remember the specs. The next computer I owned was a gateway laptop. as you can see their was a pattern of crapy computers that had to be broken At some point after getting my first job and having my own money I bought my first mac. It was the second one I had used. Back in the mid 90's my mom had owned a mac (with I inherited at some point and it sits in storage and the last time I messed with it it was working). Since then I have been an apple fanboy for life lol.

Last edited:

Boyd01

Staff member
Feb 21, 2012
New Jersey Pine Barrens
Here's a marginally related funny story. My father had a Macintosh SE (the one with two internal floppy drives) and I was getting rid of a lot of his old stuff after he passed away in 1998. I already had several other old Macs, and figured the SE wasn't worth much (it was about 10 years old) so I put it in my yard next to the street on a milk crate with a sign that said "free Computer - it works!".

I went off to work, and when I came home that evening the computer was sitting in the grass and the milk crate was gone. :D

thatoneguy82

macrumors 68000
Jul 23, 2008
Beach Cities, CA
It was an IBM. 33mhz, 4MB of RAM. 200MB of HD space (IIRC) and it was running Windows 3.1 (?). and, something like 2400baud modem. It also came with a 3.5" disk drive and CD-ROM and a 13" crappy monitor. I got it in 1993.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.