Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Sounds to me like a challenge... 9to5 Mac, Digi Times, and all the other popular (albeit mostly inaccurate) rumor sites that seem to leak product pictures have just been put on notice.

More like the manufacturers, and the parts supply chain has been put on notice.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Not if customers are adults and need to make rational purchasing decisions
based on upto date roadmaps and timelines.

This goes especially for businesses. Sure, secrecy adds to consumer excitement, but when your job depends on knowing what your suppliers are going to do, secrecy is horrible.

I have a friend who's the tech director for a school district. A few years ago, he finally convinced the school board to buy an Xserve. And then Apple reveled that they'll discontinue it a few days later.

Most companies I know (or at least their IT departments) prefer stability and planning over secrecy & hype.

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Apple should really do more of the fake leaks, like the teardrop iPhone.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Not if customers are adults and need to make rational purchasing decisions
based on upto date roadmaps and timelines.

Exactly, then again there are a lot of those who love to state "Apple is all about consumer products and mobile devices now, there's no money in the professional sect", thus secrecy doesn't effect businesses who need to make those long term purchasing decisions. Pisses me right off. I make my living from power systems, have with Apple for over a decade. I wish Apple wouldn't neglect professional systems as they have slowly been for the past few years, they can make money in both.

It creates hype. Hype is a good thing if you're selling something.

For consumers, certainly, but for large purchases and the business sect it creates an issue for long term business planning/buying. Apple's slow lack of focus in this market makes businesses weary of upgrading their systems if the company isn't fairly open with their future roadmap.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Good luck with secrecy in this day and age! And as much as secrecy plays a role, hype and speculation also raise Apple's cache....

Without Apple's legendary secrecy, the hype and speculation wouldn't exist. Do you see a bunch of hype and speculation around Microsoft's upcoming products? No, because they don't keep them secret (with rare exception). That means there's no point in speculation. With Apple, hype and speculation are all we get, so it sometimes gets out of control, but that of course only builds more interest.

jW

Flood123

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2009
Living Stateside
This is unfortunate. "Double down" on secrecy? I guess this means the "we want a new Macpro" petition got it's answer in the form of a billy club to the back of the knees. Apple doesn't like being told what to do it seems, and this is the type of answer we get when we push for one. Their attitude is, it's their sandbox loaded to the brim with their toys. If we don't like it, tough turds. This would have been a great forum for Tim cook to offer a little reassurance to the Macpro base. It's a shame and a missed opportunity to show a bit of respect in my eyes.
I agree with what a lot of folks have said in here already. I get the secrecy with the iphone ipad or iwhatever. It builds hype. Hype is good for sales. We get it.
When you have a client base that is using these higher end machines as a means to earn a living, it's not appropriate to leave these people in the dark. Just as apple has business plans, so do the businesses that use their machines. We are meant to respect their business plans while the turn a cold shoulder to ours. How is this a symbiotic relationship? These machines require a different sort of approach. You don't sell a tractor with the same approach as a Toyota. They are two entirely different beasts. That is if you actually care about the portion of your user base. Hype doesn't sell these machines as much as necessity does. What perplexes me is we sit by and stomach it. I am guilty of this. We have all but voted on this issue already by giving them our money time and time again. If you reward bad behavior, you will keep getting undesirable results.

Last edited:

Lost Rider

macrumors member
They really could have cleaned the carpet for such Apple royalty, and taken a level photograph.

EQ7G3307-M.jpg

kps

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
kw.on.ca
When you have a client base that is using these higher end machines as a means to earn a living, it's not appropriate to leave these people in the dark. Just as apple has business plans, so do the businesses that use their machines. [...] That is if you actually care about the portion of your user base.

XServe.
FCP.
Rosetta.
XCode on Snow Leopard
Quicktime 7.
AutoSaveDestruct.
Feature removal requirements for the App Store.

I'll miss OS X, but the writing is on the wall.

Lost Rider

macrumors member
Might be gaffers tape to mark the stage?

I assume it is, probably spike marks for other setups.... it's still very sloppy work by the stage manager for such an event.
Goes with the amateur vibe I get each time I see all things D with that old guy and his attitude. I can't believe Mr. Cook would give such legitimacy to him in the first place.

Last edited:

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
When half the industry stops basing their plans on copying Apple, Apple will stop worrying about keeping the competition from their plans.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
The only place more secretive than Apple is the NSA. It boggles my mind as to how Apple could be even more secret. Are they going to force developers to live in on-campus housing surrounded by barbed wire, attack dogs, and guards with automatic weapons?

Konrad

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Bi-continental
Hey, Apple, next month when you reveal your great secrets and pump up the hype some more, I will be skydiving in Croatia. That's MY big secret. I will be so hyped up I may even forget about your new hype.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
This goes especially for businesses. Sure, secrecy adds to consumer excitement, but when your job depends on knowing what your suppliers are going to do, secrecy is horrible.

I have a friend who's the tech director for a school district. A few years ago, he finally convinced the school board to buy an Xserve. And then Apple reveled that they'll discontinue it a few days later.

Most companies I know (or at least their IT departments) prefer stability and planning over secrecy & hype.

This was a huge point of failure for them. They treated commercial products similar to consumer oriented products. When you require proposals, signatures, etc. it's much more of an issue. The idevices have met with greater adoption, but their upgrade cycles have been less important and far more predictable for this sector. Businesses don't care about updating IOS. It's easier to keep something stable and predictable there. If it won't meet their needs as it is, they don't buy it in the first place.

When half the industry stops basing their plans on copying Apple, Apple will stop worrying about keeping the competition from their plans.

This is ridiculously overstated. What I really hate are the side by side gif comparisons with cherry picked examples. One showed phones and tablets with half of them from the 1990s (good luck making an ARM based tablet with a pretty gui in that era). Recently we've seen the Apple vs. Braun example. It's just way too easy to make these. If you want an interesting comparison, let's see the two devices compared in use. They're not made to be decorations.

Hey, Apple, next month when you reveal your great secrets and pump up the hype some more, I will be skydiving in Croatia. That's MY big secret. I will be so hyped up I may even forget about your new hype.

That actually sounds pretty awesome.

Konrad9

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2012
Tim Cook said:

This was a very interesting quote to me in light of the recent rumors about a new iPhone screen aspect ratio. It would seem to refute that rumor.

Unless they're intentionally leaking fake parts? They could, but to what end?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
"We're going to double down on secrecy on products."
I am very glad Cook said this. The day Apple is not as protective of their unreleased products as they are now is well that will be a very sad day one I hope never comes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.